Protesters plan to disrupt GOP convention

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2004 11:52 am
New York Lockdown
(This is a really long article -- originally from "Salon" -- so here are some excerpts)

If you're a delegate attending the Republican national convention at Madison Square Garden later this month, Jamie Moran knows where you're staying. He knows where you're eating and what Broadway musical you plan on seeing. For the past nine months, Moran has been living off savings earned as an office manager at a nonprofit and working full-time to disrupt the RNC....

"We want to make their stay here as miserable as possible," says Moran, who has sandy hair, a snub nose and a goatee. The son of a retired Queens cop, he's 30 but looks younger. "I'd like to see all the Republican events - teas, backslapping lunches - disrupted. I'd like to see people from other states following their delegates, letting them know what they think about Republican policies. I'd like to see impromptu street parties and marches. I'd like to see corporations involved in the Iraq reconstruction get targeted - anything from occupation to property destruction."...

In April 2003, after the California Anti-Terrorism Information Center issued a bulletin about the potential for terrorist violence at an antiwar protest in Oakland, police opened fire on the peaceful crowd with wooden pellets. It later turned out there had been no real basis for the terrorism warning.

Mike Van Winkle, spokesman for the California Anti-Terrorism Information Center, told the Oakland Tribune that it was made because protest itself can be seen as a form of terrorism. "You can make an easy kind of link that, if you have a protest group protesting a war where the cause that's being fought against is international terrorism, you might have terrorism at that protest," he said. "You can almost argue that a protest against that is a terrorist act." ... [jfc comment: I find this particularly troublesome]

The city's security plan provides for a "designated protest area" on the south-west corner of Madison Square Garden. Those who want to protest the convention legally will be confined to this corner and probably sealed off in pens flanked by deep walls of men in blue. All of this has alarmed local Democratic politicians, many of whom are planning to take to the streets with the demonstrators.

"I am very concerned that activities during the Republican convention will be silenced or pushed out of the way, supposedly for the 'comfort' of those participating at the convention," State assemblyman Richard Gottfried said in a statement. "Our civil rights cannot be sacrificed for political purposes."

Meanwhile, as protesters themselves feel squeezed, their urge to rampage grows greater. "I think people will fight back if they're provoked," Moran says. "Usually a riot is an explosion of energy and anger at a situation. The cops create a situation where peoples' desires are completely foiled, so they lash out. I don't think that's unhealthy." ...

Moran calls himself an anarchist but is weary of the subcultural poses adopted by so many of his young black-clad comrades. Recently, he and the four other members of RNC Not Welcome put out a "position paper" urging radicals to leave their black Balaclavas and facial piercings behind, and instead attempt to blend into crowds.

"Outside of marches, all-black clothing is rather conspicuous, so our dress code should be 'business casual," they wrote. "Sunglasses are suggested, the bigger the hipper. And hats are always in. Would you make the small sacrifice to cut your hair or take out your septum ring to stay out of jail? [jfc comment: I find this particularly funny] Racial and political profiling are commonly practiced here and we need you in the streets!" ...

Plenty of Bush opponents worry about what this grand carnival of rejection, while cathartic for some, will actually mean. There was nothing liberating, after all, about the welts and bruises protesters sustained in Miami last fall. "Stark brutality can paralyse people with fear," says Moran. "Miami hangs like a black cloud." So does the Chicago Democratic National Convention of 1968, where Mayor Richard Daley took a hard line against demonstrations and the cops clashed with protesters on the streets around the convention centre. Few doubt that the police, if provoked enough, will respond with equal force this year.

This terrifies Bush opponents, who worry that violence on the streets of New York will help the Republicans by making them look like Middle American moderates besieged by nutty radicals. They note that the Chicago '68 debacle helped cement Richard Nixon's reputation as the law-and-order candidate. ...

"I've heard some old-timers say, 'If you people riot it will hand Bush the presidency,'" [Moran] says. "I think that's just lazy thinking. Any situation where we are joined by regular New Yorkers in the streets is a positive thing." Besides, it's too late to hold back the protests now. "The last four years definitely created a lot of rage in people," Moran says. "People may decide to unleash that rage on war profiteers. Our collective isn't going to condemn that. It's not our objective."

What is their objective? The Republicans should leave New York, he says. "It was a really bad mistake to come here."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comments? Are the protesters martyrs for free speech or quasi-terrorists? Will massive demonstrations and acts of civil disobedience help or hurt their cause? And would you cut your hair or ditch your nose ring to help defeat George Bush in November?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 979 • Replies: 10
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2004 12:46 pm
This is a poser, for sure . . . the disruptions at the 1968 Democratic convention in Chicago are claimed as a reason for Humphrey's defeat by some political pundits. I would point out that the convention was delayed intentionally to honor LBJ on his birthday, and that Humphrey suffered from the shortened campaigning season-he got the "post-convention bulge" in the polls, but in his case, he continued to improve his numbers for the remainder of the campaign season. What Nixon claimed as his mandate was chimerical, he beat Humphrey by a few points in the states he carried, and his victory margin might have been eliminated altogether had Humphrey had a couple more weeks on the stump. A good deal of the negative reaction to the Chicago convention arose from the perception of corruption in Daley's administration, and the rough treatment the press received from the Chicago police. I don't think history can be a guide here, because the New York convention is not likely to play out in the same manner.

In our "political age," the conventions are fashion shows for the party stars and those aspects of the party agenda which are to be promoted. I would suspect that those who favor Bush will feel a sense of vindicated resentment at any protestors; those who oppose Bush will see any action against protestors as evidence of his "facsism." I think the nation is now sufficiently polarized that the only way protests at the New York convention can have a negative impact for the Republicans will be if there is a violent reaction by the police and/or convention security personnel which is sufficiently offensive to discourage Bush supporters who have just gotten off the fence. I would see the effect on the Democrats in about the same way, in that the partisan divide means that most people will not be moved in their points of view, unless the behavior of the protestors is considered sufficiently offensive to move those "on the fence," or those who have just jumped off on the Kerry side.
0 Replies

JustanObserver

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2004 01:37 pm
Protesting is fine and all, but I'd go about it a whole other way:

Get a bunch of people who want Bush out who are involved in the "entertainment" industry (if you get my drift), and try to catch as many of these "rightous" and "moral" conservative hyprocrites on tape and film doing all the things they condemn others for.

I'm talkin' drugs, sex, the whole nine yards. I'd make for a hilarious front page story when the conventions over...
0 Replies

Fedral

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2004 03:51 pm
As to the 'Evil Republicans' placing all the Democrat and assorted other protestors in specialy designed 'protest cages' I will point out that the Democrats did the exact same thing during THEIR Convention too keep the Republican and assorted Kerry protestors from annoying the Democratic elite:

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=29653

You will also note a difference in actions and decorum between the Republicans who protested during the Democratic Convention (No major incidents reported and no violence instigated by the Republican protestors.) and the following quote:

Quote:
"We want to make their stay here as miserable as possible,"

"I'd like to see all the Republican events - teas, backslapping lunches - disrupted. I'd like to see people from other states following their delegates, letting them know what they think about Republican policies. I'd like to see impromptu street parties and marches. I'd like to see corporations involved in the Iraq reconstruction get targeted - anything from occupation to property destruction."...

"I think that's just lazy thinking. Any situation where we are joined by regular New Yorkers in the streets is a positive thing." Besides, it's too late to hold back the protests now. "The last four years definitely created a lot of rage in people," Moran says. "People may decide to unleash that rage on war profiteers. Our collective isn't going to condemn that. It's not our objective."

And where as this State Assemblyman's outrage of
Quote:
"I am very concerned that activities during the Republican convention will be silenced or pushed out of the way, supposedly for the 'comfort' of those participating at the convention," State assemblyman Richard Gottfried said in a statement. "Our civil rights cannot be sacrificed for political purposes."
when republicans were being caged away from the Democratic Convention?
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2004 04:09 pm
Re: Protesters plan to disrupt GOP convention
joefromchicago wrote:
Are the protesters martyrs for free speech or quasi-terrorists?

Well, I can tell you with complete certainly that they aren't quasi-terrorists. This is the kind of crap that the powers that be would love to fool people into thinking. There are most likely some people in these protests that are quasi-terrorists, but I have heard other republicans, during the anti-war protests last year, using this broad brush approach to make it seem that all protestors are only there to try to destroy American values. It sickens me. The people who promote this idea are total scum-sucking f*cks.
0 Replies

Virgil in the Inferno

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2004 07:23 pm
What an ill conceived plan. This will only help the Bush administration get reelected. Some liberals sure do make me feel embarrassed about leaning to the left on most issues. Though this man considers himself an anarchist, which i suppose would explain quite a bit about his reasoning (or lack thereof) skills.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2004 07:38 pm
Virgil in the Inferno wrote:
Some liberals sure do make me feel embarrassed about leaning to the left on most issues.

Look, Sofia! Another one!
0 Replies

Virgil in the Inferno

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2004 07:51 pm
PDiddie wrote:
Some liberals sure do make me feel embarrassed about leaning to the left on most issues.

Look, Sofia! Another one!

i'm afraid i dont quite get you Question
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2004 08:01 pm
i'm afraid i dont quite get you Question

It's an inside joke, Virg (welcome to A2K, BTW).

Go hereand you'll find the backstory.
0 Replies

Virgil in the Inferno

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2004 08:11 pm
thanks a lot for the welcome (you are the first one to have done it) Sad

Anyway, I just quickly scanned the front page of that thread. And no, I wouldnt say i'm ashamed of the word liberal, however I am often ashamed of much of the flakes that often advocate "liberal issues" (namely the man in this article)
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2004 08:31 pm
thanks a lot for the welcome (you are the first one to have done it)

You are welcome for the welcome. This is a great place for lively conversation.

Virgil wrote:
Anyway, I just quickly scanned the front page of that thread.

Oh, please go read it all the way through. It's got some of our (meaning several of the forum's old soreheads') better give-and-take.

Virgil wrote:
And no, I wouldnt say i'm ashamed of the word liberal, however I am often ashamed of much of the flakes that often advocate "liberal issues" (namely the man in this article)

Looks like Sofia can forget it, then. :wink:
0 Replies