Activists seek peaceful solution to Iraq crisis

au1929

Reply Fri 17 Jan, 2003 05:00 pm
Activists seek peaceful solution to Iraq crisis

Friday, January 17, 2003 Posted: 2:22 PM EST (1922 GMT)

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Fearing war could start in weeks, protesters are massing in Washington and cities around the country to press for a peaceful way out of the crisis with Iraq and an end to America's own weapons of mass destruction.
The weekend demonstrations coincide with America's military buildup in the Persian Gulf region and a time of remembrance for the nonviolent struggle embodied by the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. Even as U.S. military personnel ship out, protesters are packing Washington-bound buses and organizing local marches and vigils from Tampa, Florida to San Francisco, California.

It appears to be a repeat of the Viet Nam era. Do you think the protests will have any effect upon the actions of the powers that be or will they fall upon deaf ears?

http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/01/17/antiwar.protests.ap/index.html
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,054 • Replies: 9
No top replies

BillW

Reply Fri 17 Jan, 2003 05:02 pm
Deaf, blind and dumb!
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Fri 17 Jan, 2003 09:22 pm
Iraq War Protests
If enough people voice an opposition to the war, then yes, there will be an effect.
0 Replies

trespassers will

Reply Sat 18 Jan, 2003 12:46 am
Re: Activists seek peaceful solution to Iraq crisis
au1929 wrote:
Do you think the protests will have any effect upon the actions of the powers that be or will they fall upon deaf ears?

Neither. I do think they will be heard, but I know of nothing substantive that they bring to the debate. These well-intentioned people seem to miss the point that Saddam has had years to show the world he intends no one harm, something he obligated himself to do.

I do not recall anyone protesting or wringing their hands when Clinton bombed Belgrade with the express intention of forcing a change of regime--a regime that constituted no imminent danger to the US. Despite many civilian casualties, I don't remember hearing a peep out of Barbra Streisand then or after.

It would seem that for some, war is okay so long as a Democrat is calling the shots. :wink:
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sat 18 Jan, 2003 12:46 pm
TW
You cannot equate our anticipated action in Iraq with that in Bosnia.
In Bosnia we were requested to participate by the our NATO partners. In addition the conflict there was based on ethnic cleansing and genocide. In Iraq we are not being asked to intervene, we stand alone and at this point a large segment of humanity is questioning our actions. And that includes American citizens.
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Sat 12 Apr, 2008 05:05 pm
But for a few morla persons around the globe
Iraq is a hell next only to USA
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Sat 12 Apr, 2008 06:56 pm
All the activists are silent.
Death levels all.
By the word DEATH i mean communists
by communist I mean Karl marx.
by Karl marx i mean Jews( not christians)
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2008 06:21 pm
Spread the air with smile and hug the humanity to make this bitter world a better one.
Follow not the views of unrepentant journalists.
0 Replies

Arendt

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2008 11:07 am
You realize that you are talking to yourself....and by the sounds of it, the company you keep when alone is pretty unbearable.
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2008 03:33 pm
unbearable.
Yes
I agree without your bearable views..
Take care of your family.
0 Replies