Bush Defends Rich Tax Cheaters?

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2004 09:16 am
http://www.dailypress.com/news/local/virginia/dp-va--bushvisit0809aug09,0,6920595.story?coll=dp-headlines-virginia

"Bush also said high taxes on the rich are a failed strategy because "the really rich people figure out how to dodge taxes anyway." "

So what is he saying? Since most of his tax cuts (that he wants to be made permenant) are for the rich, is he downplaying their importance to take wind out of their sail when they become permenant?

Is he saying he didn't actually help as many people as he claimed with his tax cuts since they wouldn't have paid the taxes anyway?

Is he admitting to cheating on his taxes?

What is he saying here?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,202 • Replies: 35
No top replies

Karzak

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2004 09:23 am
Re: Bush Defends Rich Tax Cheaters?
squinney wrote:

What is he saying here?

You really can't figure it out?
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2004 09:27 am
Well, I certainly agree that the really rich people figure out how to dodge taxes, but I don't see how passing the burden of those dodged taxes onto my kids in the form of a gigantic national debt is the solution.
0 Replies

Karzak

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2004 09:30 am
I can't see how taxing the current economy into a tailspin is a solution either.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2004 09:36 am
HUH? What current economy, karzak? The one that is recovering nicely and turning the corner? The economy isn't in trouble, is it karzak?
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2004 11:09 am
Letting the Cronies Off

Just one day after attending a church service where the topic was the excesses of wealth, President Bush joked about taxes, saying "the really rich people figure out how to dodge taxes anyway." The statement was a sharp departure from his past tough talk on tax enforcement. Just four months ago, the president claimed he wanted "to make sure that tax cheaters are found, make sure the IRS gets after those who don't pay taxes; make sure that the system is fair for those of us who do pay taxes. We want everybody paying their fair share." Unfortunately, though, yesterday's quip was far more indicative of the White House's record on taxes than the tough talk from before. The Bush administration has simultaneously reduced audits of the biggest corporations (many of which finance its political campaigns) while increasing scrutiny of indivduals. More specifically, that increased scrutiny has fallen on the working poor, even as high-income and corporate tax cheating increases.

CUTTING CORPORATE AUDITS AFTER CORPORATE SCANDALS: Even though major corporate scandals shook the economy's foundation, the Bush administration has reduced the number of audits Big Business faces. The New York Times reported earlier this year, "an independent analysis of new Internal Revenue Service data shows that tax enforcement has fallen steadily under President George W. Bush, with fewer audits, fewer penalties, fewer prosecutions and virtually no effort to prosecute corporate tax crimes." Specifically, the audit rate for the 11,200 largest corporations, which pay nearly all corporate income taxes, has fallen by almost half over the past decade, as has the audit rate for unincorporated businesses. The Washington Post reports in 2003, "only 0.73 percent of business tax returns were audited, down from 0.88 percent in the previous year."

RICHEST CORPORATIONS UNDER LESS SCRUTINY: The WP reports, "among corporations with assets of at least $250 million, audit rates slid to...

http://www.americanprogressaction.org/site/pp.asp?c=klLWJcP7H&b=100480
0 Replies

Karzak

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2004 11:54 am
squinney wrote:
HUH? What current economy, karzak? The one that is recovering nicely and turning the corner? The economy isn't in trouble, is it karzak?

No, it isn't, unless we let the libs destroy it by taxing it to death.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2004 07:44 pm
Thanks for posting those links, squinney; I found them very interesting, as well as quite typical of this administration.
0 Replies

Karzak

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2004 12:42 am
It is interesting that you equate "dodge" with "cheat" and assume it is a criminal act. Most rich people have tax accountants that LEGALLY work out how to dodge paying taxes.

The whole premise of your cut and paste is flawed, and therefore dismissed.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2004 12:47 am
Hoave you forgotten that both the John's are worth more then Bush? John Edwards is worth more then Bush and Cheney together, so who is playing who here? Also just the other day there were over 200 big busniess people who threw their support behind Kerry. Doesn't this sound like something you would be mad at Bush for?
0 Replies

Jim

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2004 12:52 am
I think we all agree that the tens of thousands of tax attorneys produce absolutely nothing of value to the economy. If we had a flat tax rate with no deductions (except for the personal deduction for yourself and your family members) it would put all the loopholes and tax attorneys out of business, and they'd have to go out and actually do productive work for a change (not to mention all the IRS agents).

So how about it?
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2004 03:52 am
He's actually saying:

'Little people pay taxes'

As a geniune rich person he should know. Most rich Americans don't even take the time to point this fact out to the 'plebs'. Do you still want to vote for him??
0 Replies

Chuckster

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2004 04:15 am
Here's how it works:
1. Tax cuts applied to the wealthy because they pay 90% of the taxes. That way money goes into the economy. It worked. Economy robust now. Say after me: Big Economic Boom.
2. Rich don't "Dodge" taxes. Dodge is criminal. Rich legally "avoid" taxes.
3. All this "Corporate Scandal Stuff"? You guys gotta quit watching Tom Brokaw...and believing all the crap out there.
Quit with the Boy-Genius stuff. None of you know anything. You're all PATHETIC!
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2004 04:37 am
Quote:
because they pay 90% of the taxes

How??? You just said that they legally avoid paying tax. They can't both pay almost ALL the tax AND avoid paying it at the same time. 90% of zero is still zero. Appears as though it's just your arithmatic that's pathetic son.......
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2004 06:37 am
I'm a big advocate of a flat tax with no deductions. I don't even think there should be a deduction for children. If everyone paid a flat rate of 10 - 15% no matter what their income, family size or status, that would seem more fair than any other option I've seen.

We could maintain a few IRS agents to ensure everyone paid, but other than that ... Think of what that would save in the national budget!

BTW, I have nothing against people having money. It's how they get it and how they use it that is troubling. It's the moving off shore, sending jobs overseas, paying minimum wage, scheduling 30 hour work weeks to avoid full time status and benefits, and "dodging" taxes.

Mr. Stillwater... That's what I thought he was saying. Shocked
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2004 07:24 am
Interesting...

Bush Says National Sales Tax Worth Considering

Tue Aug 10, 8:15 PM ET

NICEVILLE, Fla. (Reuters) - President Bush (news - web sites) said on Tuesday that abolishing the U.S. income tax system and replacing it with a national sales tax was an idea worth considering.

"It's an interesting idea," Bush told an "Ask President Bush" campaign forum here. "You know, I'm not exactly sure how big the national sales tax is going to have to be, but it's the kind of interesting idea that we ought to explore seriously."

Republican economists who speak regularly to the White House have said that the Bush campaign has been mulling the idea of an overhaul of the tax code as part of an agenda for a second term should Bush win reelection.

Some lawmakers have floated ideas of simplifying the tax code by putting in place a "flat" income tax rate or a national sales tax. But those ideas have so far not gained much traction in Congress. Opponents say such a system would not be in the best interests of the poor and the middle class who would pay the same tax rate as the wealthy even though they have less disposable income.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2004 08:26 am
Mr Stillwater wrote:
He's actually saying:

'Little people pay taxes'

More than that, he's saying that there's nothing he can do to change the current situation. He acknowledges that the rich fail to pay their share, but then throws up his hands and says: "well, since we can't stop the rich from cheating, we might as well structure our tax system to accomodate the cheaters." It's rare indeed that we get such a clear glimpse into the cynical "soak-the-poor" mentality of the Bush administration.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2004 08:29 am
squinney wrote:
I'm a big advocate of a flat tax with no deductions. I don't even think there should be a deduction for children. If everyone paid a flat rate of 10 - 15% no matter what their income, family size or status, that would seem more fair than any other option I've seen.

Flat tax schemes disproportionately benefit the rich.

And a national sales tax would be the model of a regressive tax system -- yet more evidence of Bush's desire to shift the tax burden to the middle and lower classes.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2004 08:57 am
Joe- I'm obviously not an economist or accountant. I figure the person living on $25,000 won't be buying a yacht. When the rich people do, they would pay more taxes. Perhaps if food food and utilities were exempted it would be more fair?
0 Replies

Karzak

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2004 09:28 am
Right now the top 10% pay 50% of the taxes and the top 50% pay over 95% of the taxes.

People who don't pay taxes shouldn't be allowed to vote.
0 Replies