woiyo

Reply Tue 2 Feb, 2016 07:18 am
When Huckabee outperforms Christie, I begin to doubt how relevant this caucus really is.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 2 Feb, 2016 07:28 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

In other news, it looks like Trump's ride may be over. Evangelicals seem to sway the GOP vote. I thought this new riffraff following would translate to votes, but looks like not.

I wonder if a Koch-backed Cruz is worse.

I think that is a bit premature to say. Trump has NH and SC in the bag. Lets wait for that before we go pulling any plugs. Cruz is a long shot for 3rd in NH. Remember Presidents Huckabee and Santorum? They won Iowa as well...
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 2 Feb, 2016 08:44 am
If Cruz wins the nomination, the Republicans will be in more serious trouble than with Trump. Cruz the most awful candidate I have ever seen in any race.
revelette2

Reply Tue 2 Feb, 2016 08:53 am
As of right now, Clinton 49.86% / Sanders 49. 57% at 99.94 reporting.

source

McGentrix

Reply Tue 2 Feb, 2016 09:05 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

If Cruz wins the nomination, the Republicans will be in more serious trouble than with Trump. Cruz the most awful candidate I have ever seen in any race.

If Cruz wins the nomination, I will become an ardent Bernie supporter. But never Hillary...
0 Replies

timur

Reply Tue 2 Feb, 2016 09:08 am
@revelette2,
Which means that if 257 Iowa democrat voters had changed their minds, Clinton and Sanders would be tied..
revelette2

Reply Tue 2 Feb, 2016 09:18 am
@Lash,
I put the caption on, I noticed at the end they had a vote or a recount. I couldn't really tell if the vote for a recount was in favor or not. It seemed to cut off right at that point. Did they have the recount?
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Tue 2 Feb, 2016 09:20 am
@timur,
It was less than that. Iowa was apparently decided by 6 coin tosses... Hillary winning all of them.

That means that had 6 Iowa Democratic voters changed their mind (meaning that there was no need for coin tosses), Sanders would have won.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2016/02/02/clinton-wins-at-least-six-iowa-precincts-by-coin-flip/
0 Replies

Blickers

Reply Tue 2 Feb, 2016 09:43 am
@Lash,
Quote Lash:
Quote:
Clinton caught cheating.

Quote Finn:
Quote:
Does this surprise anyone?

I didn't see any cheating. These caucuses have always been messy affairs, with people who are there and committed to one candidate having to go home suddenly and then being brought back for another vote. I saw a dramatic show about these caucuses and that was what the whole show was about, people coming and going both in and out of the hall and from camp to camp.

You Republicans are just desperate for a Sanders win, and it shows.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Tue 2 Feb, 2016 10:11 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
I heard on the news last night that a large number of Sander's supporters view Trump as their second choice.

I find this shocking and completely backwards thinking.
maxdancona

Reply Tue 2 Feb, 2016 10:16 am
@maporsche,
If you found out a large number of Trump supporters view Sanders as their first choice, would you find it less shocking?
maporsche

Reply Tue 2 Feb, 2016 10:22 am
@maxdancona,
No...the two candidates couldn't be more different. It makes ZERO sense to support both of them in any way.

Can you explain it somehow?
Blickers

Reply Tue 2 Feb, 2016 10:37 am
@maporsche,
Contrary to conservative mythology, a fairly large percentage of Perot voters in 1992 had Clinton as their second choice. When people want something different, their choices can skip around.
McGentrix

Reply Tue 2 Feb, 2016 10:39 am
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:

No...the two candidates couldn't be more different. It makes ZERO sense to support both of them in any way.

Can you explain it somehow?

Political outsiders. Neither of them have the taint of big money lobbyists or being part of government.

While they are polar opposites party wise, both have that outside the beltway feel.
maporsche

Reply Tue 2 Feb, 2016 10:41 am
@Blickers,
C'mon...look at where Perot stood on the issues

http://www.ontheissues.org/Ross_Perot.htm

He's obviously MUCH closer to Clinton on most issues than Trump is to Sanders.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Tue 2 Feb, 2016 10:43 am
@McGentrix,
They are polar opposites ISSUE wise.

Aside from not having big money lobbyists (yet) you wouldn't support any policy issue that Sanders has. I'd like you to name the ones you would.

And you don't strike me as someone who's against big money lobbying are you? I thought money=free speech.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Tue 2 Feb, 2016 10:50 am
Here McG are some of Sander's positions on major issues today (preview, he's not-surprisingly well aligned with Hillary)

Which ones of these do you support? Which ones would Trump?

http://www.businessinsider.com/hillary-clinton-vs-bernie-sanders-on-the-issues-2015-9
McGentrix

Reply Tue 2 Feb, 2016 11:07 am
@maporsche,
I have long expressed my desires for a single payer healthcare system. Hopefully that hasn't been over looked.

I am opposed to Citizens United and I do not believe that corporations are people.

I do not support raising minimum wage.

I support coming to the US through legal channels and if you are here illegally, you are breaking the law and should be sent packing.

I support the Keystone Pipeline.

I support renewable energy but know Nuclear is really the way to go.

I support background checks, but once you pass, you should be allowed any non-military gun you want in any amount and for any reason. (Obviously not intending to break the law, but hunting, sport shooting, collecting, protection). I do not support sueing gun companies, they didn't do the crime. Sue the criminals.

Sexual assault is bad, mmmm-kay?

Marijuana and a large assortment of other drugs should be legalized and taxed.

Private prisons should go away. Police need to be accountable for their actions, peoples property

more laster

revelette2

Reply Tue 2 Feb, 2016 11:11 am
Quote:

Iowa count: Clinton nudges past Sanders in photo-finish race

DES MOINES — Hillary Clinton appeared to squeak past insurgent rival Sen. Bernie Sanders in Iowa’s presidential nominating vote, according to results Tuesday, redeeming a crushing loss here in 2008 but revealing the shortcomings of a candidate who once seemed invincible.

Results from Iowa’s Democratic Party, announcing 100 percent of the precincts counted, gave Clinton a whisker-thin margin: 49.8 percent to Sanders’s 49.6 percent — setting up what is likely to become a prolonged contest for the Democratic presidential nomination.

Under the state’s caucus system, delegates are assigned by percentage of the vote.

Former Maryland governor Martin O’Malley received less than 1 percent of the vote, according to the results released hours after he dropped out of the race.

The outcome from Monday’s caucuses was a relief for Clinton loyalists confronted in recent weeks with the wrenching possibility that Clinton’s second-chance candidacy, like her first, might falter out of the gate and never recover.

It was also a shock to the system that a candidate universally known in Iowa, with deep pockets and long experience, could come close to losing to a relative unknown who was initially considered little more than a protest candidate.

Sanders claimed a kind of victory nonetheless, since he so far exceeded expectations. En route to New Hampshire, he said he was in the race for “the long haul.”

Sanders had erased Clinton’s once-commanding lead here in recent weeks, but then fell back. Although he could not overtake her, Sanders’s strong performance leaves Clinton more battered by the Iowa caucuses than she or her supporters ever expected. She now heads to New Hampshire, where Sanders is heavily favored to win next week’s primary.

At the very least, Sanders’s competitiveness portends a longer, more costly and more difficult primary battle than predicted when Sanders entered the race six months ago. He has money and enthusiastic support to carry on his fight.

More at the source

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 2 Feb, 2016 11:45 am
Sanders wants them to count the votes now, to be certain the announced result was accurate.