VW Thing: Heating, Music, Gas, and Charging

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2016 07:15 pm
I'm 15 and am saving for a car. My dream car is a VW Thing (any year) and I've fallen in love with it. However, I do have a few concerns/questions about this car:

1. I live in Colorado and I need a decent heater for the car. I don't need anything too fancy, just something that can keep me warm. So how functional is the original heater in the car? I am willing to replace it if need be, but approximately how much would that cost and what would that process look like?

2. I'm also really into music. Again, I don't need anything extreme I'd just want a radio/stereo with AM/FM and AUX compatibility. To replace this, I'd prefer not to cut up the dash, and seeing how the original is mounted underneath would it be possible to replace this easily? And how much would this cost? My plan is to leave the original speakers in the car, unless the sound quality is really bad. How do the original speakers work?

3. It's also likely that I'll need to pay for gas. What does the fuel economy look like?

4. Last one, I promise. I'd like to be able to charge my phone in the car. If not, it's not as big of a deal to me, but does the car have a cigarette lighter and is it compatible with the charger adapters?

If you know the answer to any or all of these questions I'd really appreciate your feed back! Thanks!

engineer

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2016 07:19 pm
@audreybug,
I can't answer your questions, but you will probably appreciate this link with pictures of original sales brochures. One thought for you (and you parents). The Thing stopped selling in the US because it failed to meet US passenger car safety requirements (in the 70's). Ask any car person and they will tell parents to put their teens in more modern cars because the safety is significantly better. It might be better to make this your post college car instead of your high school car.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 31 Jan, 2016 12:52 am
@engineer,
I only know about it a bit in the military version - that's what you mainly still find here.
0 Replies