Today's early debate

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2016 02:32 pm
Apparently much against their will, we read, "Underway at 6 p.m.......Paul and ...Firoina have been bumped to the early debate." So what and when is an early debate and why do you suppose they were annoyed

Thanks anyone

Edited to reveal it utmost shame that my Better Half, much smarter than I, has explained that 6 pm isn't as pop a watching time. But thanks for considering my q

Mightn't one ask whether placing 'em at the early hour isn't a sort of insult
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 455 • Replies: 8
No top replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2016 09:46 pm
@dalehileman,
The early debate is for the candidates who are not deemed to be serious contenders.

Shuffling all the wanna-bes off to a different debate prevents them from cluttering up the debate between the contenders.
dalehileman

Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2016 12:45 pm
@oralloy,
Still Ora isn't it outright insult
Blickers

Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2016 01:00 pm
@dalehileman,
Because there were so many people running, the Republicans decided that only so many people can be on the main debate at the same time. Before each debate, they check the polls, and the highest polling candidates get the late time, the lesser polling candidate get the early, lesser watched time slot.

It is not a deliberate insult, but if a candidate was on the during the main, later debate, and is now on the earlier time, it is a pretty clear indication to the public that his campaign is losing ground to the other candidates.

Before the debate season, Rand Paul was considered one of the very top Republican contenders. Now he's on at the early time because he can't get any appreciable support. That's a big comedown.
dalehileman

Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2016 03:16 pm
@Blickers,
Thanks Blick. So whom do you support and why
Blickers

Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2016 03:20 pm
@dalehileman,
Among Republicans, I cannot say, because I am a Democrat. Of the Democrats, I'm for Hillary but I like Bernie too.
dalehileman

Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2016 05:26 pm
@Blickers,
Also sorta like Bernie but doesn't his apparent age weigh agin'm
Blickers

Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2016 06:28 pm
@dalehileman,
Yes, that's my feeling too. For a job like the President, you need someone who absolutely is at the top of their ability. Many hard charging type people manage to hold that peak up until the mid seventies, then they need to start lightening up on the workload. Still very effective, still can get things done, but they can't handle as many things at once as they used to. If Hillary gets elected, I think she should voluntarily step down after one term because then she would be about Bernie's age now.
dalehileman

Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2016 06:54 pm
@Blickers,
Yea Blick but doesn't Hillary have some bad vibes
0 Replies