David Brooks takes on Ted Cruz

Reply Tue 12 Jan, 2016 10:01 am
An interesting read from a reliably conservative columnist.

The Brutalism of Ted Cruz

A snippet (edited for saving space):
David Brooks wrote:
The case reveals something interesting about Cruz’s character. Ted Cruz is now running strongly among evangelical voters, especially in Iowa. But in his career and public presentation Cruz is a stranger to most of what would generally be considered the Christian virtues: humility, mercy, compassion and grace. Cruz’s behavior in the Haley case is almost the dictionary definition of pharisaism: an overzealous application of the letter of the law in a way that violates the spirit of the law, as well as fairness and mercy. ...

But Cruz’s speeches are marked by what you might call pagan brutalism. There is not a hint of compassion, gentleness and mercy. Instead, his speeches are marked by a long list of enemies, and vows to crush, shred, destroy, bomb them. When he is speaking in a church the contrast between the setting and the emotional tone he sets is jarring. ...

The fact is this apocalyptic diagnosis is ridiculous. The Obama administration has done things people like me strongly disagree with. But America is in better economic shape than any other major nation on earth. Crime is down. Abortion rates are down. Fourteen million new jobs have been created in five years.

Obama has championed a liberal agenda, but he hasn’t made the country unrecognizable. In 2008, federal spending accounted for about 20.3 percent of gross domestic product. In 2015, it accounted for about 20.9 percent.

But Cruz manufactures an atmosphere of menace in which there is no room for compassion, for moderation, for anything but dismantling and counterattack. And that is what he offers. Cruz’s programmatic agenda, to the extent that it exists in his speeches, is to destroy things: destroy the I.R.S., crush the “jackals” of the E.P.A., end funding for Planned Parenthood, reverse Obama’s executive orders, make the desert glow in Syria, destroy the Iran nuclear accord.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 854 • Replies: 2
No top replies

snood

Reply Tue 12 Jan, 2016 10:10 am
@engineer,
Ok, I guess this is an example of the "stopped clock" rule. Even David Brooks can get something right.

I wonder, who does Brooks see as a good choice, out of that poisonous potpourri of megalomaniacs, hucksters and incompetents?
engineer

Reply Tue 12 Jan, 2016 10:20 am
@snood,
I don't read him enough to know, but I'd bet Bush/Rubio/Kasich. He is an establishment type of guy.
0 Replies