Failed to get "bodies of work" here. What does it mean?

Reply Mon 11 Jan, 2016 02:41 am
In the face of it, I seem to understand it. And then I ponder it and find it elusive.
Does "body" here refer to "the central message of a text/article"?

Context:

AS: The first one has to do with the vacuum. The lowest energy thing is the vacuum. And it’s always been assumed that the vacuum in quantum gravity or in quantum electrodynamics is unique—that there’s only one zero-energy state. And what I’ve shown in the last couple of years is that that assumption is wrong. There are in fact infinitely many different vacuum states. In a way, what I showed was implicit in things that other people had said. It all started out by showing this equivalence of two different bodies of work that were done in the 1960s by Steve Weinberg and by Bondi, van der Burg, Metzner and Sachs.

More:
http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/dark-star-diaries/stephen-hawking-s-new-black-hole-paper-translated-an-interview-with-co-author-andrew-strominger/
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 468 • Replies: 3
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
FBM
  Selected Answer

Reply Mon 11 Jan, 2016 02:42 am
@oristarA,
I think you asked something very similar not too long ago. A body of work is a collection of, in this case, research results, publications, etc.
oristarA

Reply Mon 11 Jan, 2016 02:50 am
@FBM,
FBM wrote:

I think you asked something very similar not too long ago. A body of work is a collection of, in this case, research results, publications, etc.

Yes. Thanks for reminding me of that. Sometimes people have to learn twice to make it go into long-term memory.
FBM

Reply Mon 11 Jan, 2016 05:17 am
@oristarA,
That's certainly true for me. Sometimes twice isn't enough, even. Wink
0 Replies