Travelling upsets my stomach

ehBeth

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2016 04:15 pm
Quote:
Ötzi the Iceman's 5,000-year-old stomach bug sheds light on human migration

https://i.guim.co.uk/img/static/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2012/5/2/1335973383144/Otzi-the-Iceman-008.jpg?w=620&q=85&auto=format&sharp=10&s=38d751c5973c85c7f47733a7438a988e

http://www.theguardian.com/science/2016/jan/08/otzi-the-icemans-5000-year-old-stomach-bug-sheds-light-on-human-migration

Quote:
The gut microbes of the Ötzi the Iceman, a 5,300-year-old mummy found frozen in a European glacier in 1991, have shed new light on the history of human migration, scientists said on Thursday.

Researchers thawed the remains of Ötzi, who was killed by an arrow when he was between 40 and 50 years old and hiking across the Ötztal Alps, which straddle modern-day Italy and Austria.

When they tested the contents of his stomach, they found a bacterium called Helicobacter pylori, an age-old pathogen that has evolved into different strains according to the region of the world in which it is found.

“Surprisingly, a strain of bacterium in his gut shares ancestry with an Asian strain,” said the study in the US journal Science. “In contrast to the fact that most modern Europeans harbor a strain ancestral to north African strains.”

If the stomach contents of the Iceman is a good reflection of Europeans 5,300 years ago, the analysis suggests that African migration had not yet resulted in intermingling with the Asian strain of the bacterium.

“This one genome has put things into wonderful perspective for us,” said Yoshan Moodley, a researcher at the University of Venda in South Africa.

“We can say now that the waves of migration that brought these African Helicobacter pylori into Europe had not occurred, or at least not occurred in earnest, by the time the Iceman was around.”

About half the people on the planet have the bacterium in their stomachs. It can cause ulcers or gastrointestinal distress and is typically spread among children when they play in dirt.

http://www.theguardian.com/science/video/2016/jan/08/iceman-otzis-stomach-bacteria-rewrite-the-textbooks-video

blood sample taken 2012
http://www.theguardian.com/science/2012/may/02/otzi-iceman-blood-sample

ehBeth

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2016 04:16 pm
@ehBeth,
Does this kind of news excite you?

bore you?

make you feel like a giddy kid? <raises hand>

gross you out?

Where are you on the science news spectrum?

Lordyaswas

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2016 04:39 pm
@ehBeth,
"“Surprisingly, a strain of bacterium in his gut shares ancestry with an Asian strain,” said the study in the US journal Science. “In contrast to the fact that most modern Europeans harbor a strain ancestral to north African strains."

I have a suspicion that he had consumed a somewhat dodgy vindaloo.

McGentrix

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2016 04:40 pm
@Lordyaswas,
Maybe a bad curry?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2016 04:42 pm
hmm looks like both of you lads are on the "science makes me goofy" spectrum Smile

If I had a poll option, I'd add that.
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2016 04:46 pm
@ehBeth,
I love anything like this, and remember sitting, glued to the box when the documentary was on telly, telling the story of his discovery and the bits and pieces leading up to his death.

My other favourite is this one.....

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/the-family-link-that-reaches-back-300-generations-to-a-cheddar-cave-1271542.html

The family link that reaches back 300 generations to a Cheddar cave

Snippet:-

"Adrian Targett visited the home of a close relative yesterday. He had to put on Wellington boots because the floor is muddy. The relative was not in. Hardly surprising: he died 9,000 years ago.
But there is no doubt: Mr Targett, a 42-year-old history teacher in Cheddar, Somerset, has been shown by DNA tests to be a direct descendant, by his mother's line, of "Cheddar Man", the oldest complete skeleton ever found in Britain, and now also the world's most distant confirmed relative.

Even the Royal Family can only trace its heritage back to King Ecgbert, who ruled from 829AD to 830AD. By contrast, Cheddar Man, a hunter- gatherer who pre-dated the arrival of farming, lived in 7150BC."
ehBeth

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2016 04:54 pm
@Lordyaswas,
fantastic! I didn't know about Cheddar Man.

I've been following

http://hyperallergic.com/266431/ancient-phallus-carving-gets-public-exposure-after-two-decades-as-garden-ornament/

I heard a wonderful radio interview about it the other day.
Lordyaswas

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2016 04:58 pm
@ehBeth,
Re. Cheddar Man....Here's a short bit about how the link was found.

dlowan

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2016 06:06 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

Does this kind of news excite you?

bore you?

make you feel like a giddy kid? <raises hand>

gross you out?

Where are you on the science news spectrum?

Love it!!!
roger

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2016 06:10 pm
@ehBeth,
I think maybe Ötzi's stomach problem might have come more from that arrow than the travelling.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2016 06:17 pm
I did not realize the intent of the thread before now.
ehBeth

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2016 07:18 pm
@Lordyaswas,
thank you!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2016 07:19 pm
@dlowan,
bring us one of your favourites!

(please Smile )
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2016 07:31 pm
@ehBeth,
I remember many decades ago when I took my sister to Egypt and Jordan, she got sick riding on the bus, so the whole group let her sit in the front seat. She hasn't complained about that motion sickness for many years. We'll be seeing her and her husband later this month when we visit Hawaii. I don't think she suffers from that any more.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2016 08:12 pm
@Lordyaswas,
It's really amazing that he had relatives there 400 generations later. Mind-boggling.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2016 09:13 pm
@edgarblythe,
mmm? I don't get some stuff.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2016 09:22 pm
http://www.archaeology.org/news

a great hole to fall into

0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2016 11:20 pm
I still find this tread vaporous, no idea what it is about.

Am ok with that, of course.
dlowan

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2016 05:51 am
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

bring us one of your favourites!

(please Smile )

I'll have to mine FB. I tend to share them there
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2016 08:17 pm
@dlowan,
You're looking at a bacti major..

I'm always interested.

Also, they keep changing bacteria names on me; wish I'd kept my original big fat bacti books.
0 Replies