Would you assassinate Hitler?

JLNobody

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2004 02:12 pm
Chombis, I was only referring to the comment about Hitler's zeal. Hitler's exposure to Nietzsche writings was highly edited by Elisabeth. She deleted all statements that ran counter to Hitler's biases, especially Nietszche's praise of the Jews.
0 Replies

val

Reply Tue 7 Dec, 2004 06:06 am
Yes, that is true. Probably Hitler never read any of Nietzsche books. There is a wrong idea that nazis were intelectuals. They were not - excepting perhaps Dr. Goebbels. "Mein Kampff" is a stupid book written by a fanatic ignorant.
But JLNobody, that doesn't mean that some of Nietzsche ideas had nothing to do with nazism. Not the racial question - although he speaks with admiration of the "blonde beast" - and surely not the nationalist question. In fact, Nietzsche didn't like germans. Not even german language! His admiration went to the ancient greeks - before Plato - and to Renaissance.
But his insistance on vital forces, of a "fatum", of the moral as the absolute power of the superior man, his hate towards the christianism, understood as a religion of slaves, of the weaks, his hate towards Kant rationalism and criticism, all that had a terrible contribution to create the mental conditions that made nazism possible - he was not the only: Spengler, Jünger, and perhaps even Bergson.

It is curious that Heidegger - one of my favorite philosophers - was a nazi, although his philosophy had nothing to do with that - that is my opinion, but there are others like those expressed in John Caputo's "Demythologizing Heidegger".
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Tue 7 Dec, 2004 02:40 pm
Val, just to respond to some of the terms you mention, the "blond beast," as I recall was not a reference to aryans; it was to the unbridled passions of underdeveloped peoples, of which he named the Arabs and the Japanese. He considered unmixed races to be inferior in terms of their capacity for creative growth (the Mexican notion of the Mestizo would be more consistent with Nietzsche's perspective here). And regarding your reference to the slave mentality of Christianism, I believe Nietzsche denounced both the slave AND the master mentalities, arguing, instead, for a mentality of autonomy.
Thanks for the John Caputo lead. Hiedegger is very difficult for me; I would like very much to have the aid of good mediator--just as Kaufmann was regarding the Nazi allegations made against Nietzsche--a much maligned but profoundly important thinker.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2004 09:22 am
JLNobody wrote:
We might consider the question of Hitler's assassination in terms of the distinction between ethics and morality. For example, for me, the assasination of Hitler would have been an immoral act (thou shalt not kill), but an ethical one, given its intended consequences (saving the lives of millions). Morals are absolute (rules); ethics are relative to circumstances and goals (decisions). I think we must sometimes do immoral things for ethical reasons. And we can hide behind morality to avoid ethical acts (e.g., one might have killed Hitler, but declined the opportunity because it would have been immoral, given the commandment not to kill).

I must admit, JLN, this got me thinking. I have never run across an argument that holds that an act can be simultaneously immoral and ethical. And, honestly, I don't think it's possible.

"Morality" is typically seen as a series of general rules (e.g. "murder is wrong"), whereas "ethics" are the application of those rules in specific circumstances. Stated thus, your contention that "ethics are relative to circumstances and goals (decisions)" is correct, as far as it goes. But ethics are not only situational, they are also absolute, in the sense that they are dependent upon morality. So, for instance, if I hold that all killing is wrong, then I must hold that killing in this situation (whatever that situation might be) is also wrong. In other words, if one maintains that morals are absolute, then one must maintain that ethics are likewise absolute.

In the above case, I think you've mixed up an absolute moral standard ("murder is wrong") with a utilitarian ethical standard ("in the case of killing Hitler, murder would result in a greater good"). If one's moral system is not based on a utilitarian calculus, however, I don't see how one's ethics can be. Now, of course, it's possible that your "thou shalt not kill" actually is a statement of utilitarian morality (and most utilitarians would agree that murder is wrong), but unless the moral statement has an "out" (e.g. "murder is wrong, except when it results in the greater good") one simply does not have the option of murdering someone "ethically but immorally."
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2004 12:34 pm
Joe, good points. But let me posit a hypothetical situation to support my core principle. What if I lived in a bifurcated society dominated by two contradicting moral systems, and felt obliged to make an ethical decision by means of one or the other. My ethical decision would depend on my determination of the circumstances of the ethical dilemma. Which moral rule, in a set of two parallel but contrasting rules, applies to this circumstance? That's an ethical, not a moral, decision. It is a decision that transcends both moral systems even while it attempts to decide on extra-moral (utlitarian or whatever) grounds which rule is most appropriate to the particular circumstance. This is not the same as trying to decide which is the superior absolute moral system. A moral decision pertains to the matter of deciding whether or not one will comply with a rule which is non-problematically applicable to a situation. Ethical behavior involves deciding which rule, if any in a system of rules, applies to a situation. So I agree that ethics and morality are intertwined, but not absolutely or inevitably so.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2004 12:54 pm
JLN: I'm not exactly sure how anyone can be in a society with two contradictory moral systems. If the systems are indeed contradictory, then each is "immoral" as judged by the standards of the other. If we are not moral relativists (and we shouldn't be), then we can only conclude that one (or both) of these systems is erroneous.

Let me expand upon that point: suppose, as you suggest, we live in a society dominated by two moral systems. The first is Kantian, which holds that murder is always wrong. The second is utilitarian, which holds that murder is wrong except in those cases where it is productive of the greater good. One must, therefore, choose to follow the former or the latter when determining whether or not to kill this person in this situation. The choice between following the former or the latter, however, is not an ethical decision (i.e. "what is the right thing to do in this situation?") but rather a metaethical decision (i.e. "which system is correct?").

Ignoring the metaethical choice would mean that one can act morally regardless of the contradiction between the two choices, which is logically absurd. If, in this case, I can act morally in a situation by either killing or not killing a person, then that means that the act of killing is not subject to moral considerations -- something which both systems of morality deny. Thus, only upon determining the metaethical question can one make an ethical choice.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2004 01:49 pm
Very good, I'll get back to you on this, but for the moment let me say that I'd like you to be my trial lawyer, if only the jury could understand you.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2004 09:35 pm
Joe, is it not possible to view ethics as not only the application of moral rules to specific circumstances but as strategies designed to bring about pragmatic results (results that reflect a sense of altruism or the drive to love others as you love yourself)? In such a case, moral systems and formal rules become merely aids, guiding principles rather than formal directives. The central feature of an ethical or moral action is the actor, not the program directing his action. It is a matter of values and human sensibilities rather than "systems" of rules. A person is "good" not on the basis of his conformity to such rules--especially if his conformity reflects a fear of supernatural punishment--but on the basis of his desire for positive social ends. In such a case the ends justify the means even when they violate moral dictates.
By the way, do you think it impossible that an ethical act may not violate a moral rule in some culture somewhere in the world? I recall reading about the initiation rite of a young man in a Phillipino tribal society. In this rite he was morally obliged to raid another community and take an adult male's head. If I "went native" in that society but when it became my turn to be initiated I refused to take a head on the grounds that it would cause others great pain and loss, I would be considered immoral in that society (if not in the culture I had left). I only raise this "hypothetical" scenario to indicate again that ethics and morality are not necessarily or absolutely connected.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2004 01:43 am
The question I would put to both Joe and JLN is this. If "Stalin" were to replace "Hitler" as the target for assassination would that have affected our decisions to be the assassin ? It would for "me" and if so how would that be based on either "ethical" or "moral" considerations ?
0 Replies

val

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2004 03:48 am
fresco
Sorry for intruding, since your question was directed to Nobody and Joe.

The first problem I see is in the killing of Hitler. If I went back to past I would know of Hitler's defeat. But I woudn't know if killing Hitler would prevent the Holocaust.
So, about the topic question, I would not kill Hitler.

About Stalin. Stalin was a dictator, like many others - Mussolini, Castro, Somoza ... - and killing him on account of moral issues would mean to kill most of world leaders since Dario, Xerxes or Assurbanipal! Societies generate dictators, so, those societies must deal with them.
I accept that Hitler was a different case. Nazism went with the years in a growing irrationality: in the last months of the regime Hitler and most of nazi leaders were almoust delirious, obcessed by an imaginary "Götterdämmerung".

But let me ask you this: if you went in the past, when Hitler was a 6 years child, would you kill him?
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2004 06:33 am
Val,

That's the point. All this rests on the definition of "me in a situation"...not whether an "act" can be classified as "moral" or "ethical". Obviously the "me" will have been conditioned by prevailing moral and ethical values and these would have shifted* in "war". Similarly hindsight implies that Hitler and Stalin were comparable but their status as a target with respect to a time/situation specific "me" were not.

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2004 10:32 am
JLNobody wrote:
Joe, is it not possible to view ethics as not only the application of moral rules to specific circumstances but as strategies designed to bring about pragmatic results (results that reflect a sense of altruism or the drive to love others as you love yourself)? In such a case, moral systems and formal rules become merely aids, guiding principles rather than formal directives.

If a moral system is simply a strategy to bring about pragmatic results, then it would only be a moral system if that system identified the "good" as "bringing about pragmatic results." In that single case, we could say that you were describing a moral system. Otherwise, it is merely a system of pragmatism, neither moral nor immoral.

To expand upon that point: if I say that my morals are more of a "life strategy" than anything else (i.e. a strategy for bringing about pragmatic results), then I am saying one of two things. Either I'm saying that I have identified pragmatism as the highest good, in which case I am identifying my life strategy as a true moral system, or else I'm saying that my life strategy has no prescriptive moral element (or, in your words, no "formal directives"), in which case I have determined that my life strategy is non-moral.

Identifying something as non-moral, however, is itself a moral decision. If I say that it is morally irrelevant whether I cut my food with the knife in my right hand or my left hand, I have made a moral statement. Such a statement, therefore, must rely upon some higher principle of morality, which judges knife-holding to be irrelevant. Thus, if I say that killing someone is to be judged by the tenets of pragmatism rather than morality, I'm saying either that pragmatism is morality (or, more precisely, the measure of morality), or else I'm saying that there is some higher order principle that places pragmatism above morality. And that higher order principle, I contend, is a moral principle.

JLNobody wrote:
The central feature of an ethical or moral action is the actor, not the program directing his action. It is a matter of values and human sensibilities rather than "systems" of rules. A person is "good" not on the basis of his conformity to such rules--especially if his conformity reflects a fear of supernatural punishment--but on the basis of his desire for positive social ends. In such a case the ends justify the means even when they violate moral dictates.

This statement bears some scrutiny.

I think an Aristotelian would agree that a person is "good" insofar as he inwardly conforms to some standard of "goodness." But most moral systems focus on actions, not actors (actors, after all, are givens in any system of morality, except perhaps in those systems that admit the possibility of morality but deny free will). A person who does not act, then, could not be said to be "good," for he has done nothing to merit that claim. He can assert that he has good intentions or good thoughts, but that would make him, at most, a person who is inclined to do good. Those intentions may be commendable, but unaccompanied by actions they must remain unfulfilled promises.

As such, a person is typically regarded as good insofar as he acts in a manner that conforms to the rules. So I disagree with your statement that "[a] person is "good" not on the basis of his conformity to such rules ... but on the basis of his desire for positive social ends." One can desire positive social ends, but if one does nothing to achieve those ends, I am at a loss to understand how we can positively assert that such a person is "good" (or, more appropriately, "moral") in any meaningful sense.

JLNobody wrote:
By the way, do you think it impossible that an ethical act may not violate a moral rule in some culture somewhere in the world? I recall reading about the initiation rite of a young man in a Phillipino tribal society. In this rite he was morally obliged to raid another community and take an adult male's head. If I "went native" in that society but when it became my turn to be initiated I refused to take a head on the grounds that it would cause others great pain and loss, I would be considered immoral in that society (if not in the culture I had left). I only raise this "hypothetical" scenario to indicate again that ethics and morality are not necessarily or absolutely connected.

Of course they are connected. You fail to see it only because you've fallen into the relativist's trap.

Let's place you back into the bosom of the headhunting tribe. Although your own morals strongly condemn headhunting, your hosts hold an absolutely contradictory position. If you refuse to go headhunting, you will be considered immoral by your hosts. So, should you go? Well, a moral relativist might say "yes." After all, who's to say who's right and who's wrong? But, as I pointed out above, the decision that something is non-moral (or, in this case, moral in some cases and immoral in others) is itself a moral decision. It just relies upon a higher order principle that is, at the moment, undisclosed. Your action, therefore, will ultimately conform to that higher order principle, since your decision to go headhunting depends upon your evaluation of the morality of that act. And if, in the end, you decide that the act is non-moral (or even highly moral), it is because you've made a moral decision at some point. To call your decision a pragmatic one merely hides the moral decision that must be made by you.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2004 10:35 am
fresco wrote:
The question I would put to both Joe and JLN is this. If "Stalin" were to replace "Hitler" as the target for assassination would that have affected our decisions to be the assassin ?

Whose decisions are you talking about?

fresco wrote:
It would for "me" and if so how would that be based on either "ethical" or "moral" considerations ?

I have no idea what your decision would be based upon without knowing more about your decision. For all I know, you could be suffering from a delusion.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2004 10:36 am
(Off topic, just happens to be the first time I've seen it, nice "Christmas Story" reference, Joe.) (If that's what it is...)
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2004 10:38 am
>> Not reading the whole thread <<

an answer to the original question...
Would I kill Hitler if I were able to time travel and have a perfect opportunity to shoot him in the head BEFORE he killed millions of innocent jews?
AND.. since I KNEW he would kill all those people, would I take the opportunity?

> slaps knee < Well, By-golly I would shoot that man in his testicles and let him bleed to death.
( gasp ) I dont need to be mean huh. hehe

But yes, I would kill him. With out blinking.
I would personally feel a bit of responsibility carrying the knowledge of the amounts of murders that man was going to committ. Knowing that millions of peoples lives are going to be destroyed for 3 generations.. yes.
I dont think anyone should kill another person but he had plans to kill millions for sick satisfaction. If i can kill ONE person to save MILLIONS.. my morals shift to allow the death of the one.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2004 11:00 am
Sozobe: Thanks. Yes, it's a reference. See my signature line.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2004 01:43 pm
Joe,

JLN indicated earlier that he would have been an assassin of Hitler,(as probably would I).
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2004 02:23 pm
My God, Joe. How you make me work. You must also be retired to have the time for this. Our difference is fundamentally one of absolutism vs. relativism. I maintain that an individual can have sensibilities predisposing him to benign sentiments and actions having only an indirect connection with his society's moral code. Indeed, he may even be eccentric in this regard compared to the other members of his society. I grant that he is most likely to be conditioned in some respect by his culture, but cultures are complex and internally contradictory. He is not a automaton. He internalizes norms but also may do so selectively expelling some and developing others. And he may alter his inventory of internal values throughout his life, and not necessarily in response to some higher order moral system. To me ethical behavior reflects character more than compliance with rules. I know. You will insist that this character or its evaluation by us, must be described relative to moral principles. I think it's more complex than that.
When I suggested that ethics may be viewed as strategies designed to bring about pragmatic altrusitic results, you converted my meaning to say that a MORAL SYSTEM is simply a strategy to bring about pragmatic results, and, as such, I must be talking about a moral system. Confusing, I must say.
For you, morals are more of a "life strategy." For me, the life strategy is the ethical life, a life of trying to determine for each situation what is the most humane way to act, not a committment to the practice of responding to each situation in terms of preordained rules. That would be a canned ethical life.
Elsewhere you define a moral system as what I would consider the result of ethical decisions:
"...if I say that killing someone is to be judged by the tenets of pragmatism rather than morality, I'm saying either that pragmatism is morality (or, more precisely, the measure of morality), or else I'm saying that there is some higher order principle that places pragmatism above morality. And that higher order principle, I contend, is a moral principle."
I suggest that it need not be a "higher order principle", something explicit; it may be an expression of the individuals sensibilities, or his character, both of which may be seen from the outside for analytical or descriptive purposes as reflections of a code. From the inside, in terms of their actual reality, they are deeper, more organic, less schematic than you would have them. I see this as a general tendency of many people: to build too much logic and formalism into the more inherently organic and ambiguous nature of things. We must not transform the subject in order to impose an understanding onto it.
I was saying, or trying to say, that killing someone (in the case of Hitler, of course) was intended to bring about (pragmatically) the saving of millions of lives. This is not the same as elevating pragmatism to the level of a moral code. I do not understand that strand of your argument.

I'm being called away. I'll return to this shortly.
0 Replies

australia

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2004 11:12 pm
But every action has an equal reaction. What is to say that the same thing wouldn't have happened with another person of the same political party. He could have been more intelligent, not invaded Russia and the Nazi party might still be in power. Who knows?
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 10 Dec, 2004 09:25 am
JLN: I know you hate it when I respond to your posts by chopping them up into smaller pieces. We are, however, getting into some complicated territory here, so I want to make sure I address each of your points directly.

JLNobody wrote:
My God, Joe. How you make me work. You must also be retired to have the time for this.

Unfortunately for you, I've recently had some free time available. I hope to be in a position to write much shorter posts in the future :wink:

JLNobody wrote:
Our difference is fundamentally one of absolutism vs. relativism.

That may be true.

JLNobody wrote:
I maintain that an individual can have sensibilities predisposing him to benign sentiments and actions having only an indirect connection with his society's moral code. Indeed, he may even be eccentric in this regard compared to the other members of his society. I grant that he is most likely to be conditioned in some respect by his culture, but cultures are complex and internally contradictory. He is not a automaton. He internalizes norms but also may do so selectively expelling some and developing others. And he may alter his inventory of internal values throughout his life, and not necessarily in response to some higher order moral system.

So far, I don't have much problem with any of this.

JLNobody wrote:
To me ethical behavior reflects character more than compliance with rules. I know. You will insist that this character or its evaluation by us, must be described relative to moral principles. I think it's more complex than that.

Well, I don't think I'd have to go that far. If "character" is determined by how rule-compliant a person is (i.e. the more rule-compliant a person, the better that person's character), then there's no difference. If, on the other hand, you have some other definition of "character" that does not rely upon some ethical component, I'd be interested to hear it.

JLNobody wrote:
When I suggested that ethics may be viewed as strategies designed to bring about pragmatic altrusitic results, you converted my meaning to say that a MORAL SYSTEM is simply a strategy to bring about pragmatic results, and, as such, I must be talking about a moral system. Confusing, I must say.

No, I said that is one way of interpreting your statement.

JLNobody wrote:
For you, morals are more of a "life strategy." For me, the life strategy is the ethical life, a life of trying to determine for each situation what is the most humane way to act, not a committment to the practice of responding to each situation in terms of preordained rules. That would be a canned ethical life.

On the contrary, I don't consider morals to be a "life strategy." As for responding to situations in terms of preordained rules, are you suggesting that one can act morally by responding to situations in terms of ad hoc rules?

JLNobody wrote:
Elsewhere you define a moral system as what I would consider the result of ethical decisions:
"...if I say that killing someone is to be judged by the tenets of pragmatism rather than morality, I'm saying either that pragmatism is morality (or, more precisely, the measure of morality), or else I'm saying that there is some higher order principle that places pragmatism above morality. And that higher order principle, I contend, is a moral principle."
I suggest that it need not be a "higher order principle", something explicit; it may be an expression of the individuals sensibilities, or his character, both of which may be seen from the outside for analytical or descriptive purposes as reflections of a code. From the inside, in terms of their actual reality, they are deeper, more organic, less schematic than you would have them. I see this as a general tendency of many people: to build too much logic and formalism into the more inherently organic and ambiguous nature of things. We must not transform the subject in order to impose an understanding onto it.

Be as organic or as non-schematic as you like, JLN. Ultimately, your choice will depend upon a moral decision, even if that decision is that there is no such thing as morality.

JLNobody wrote:
I was saying, or trying to say, that killing someone (in the case of Hitler, of course) was intended to bring about (pragmatically) the saving of millions of lives. This is not the same as elevating pragmatism to the level of a moral code. I do not understand that strand of your argument.

The act of killing is either good, bad, or indifferent. Deciding whether the act of killing is good, bad, or indifferent involves a moral judgment. In this instance, you suggest that the act of killing is "pragmatic" (I take that to mean that the act of killing Hitler is, in fact, utilitarian (i.e. productive of more good than not killing) rather than strictly pragmatic (i.e. expedient in these circumstances)).

If you say that the act of killing is "good" because it is "pragmatic" (or utilitarian), you are saying that the "good" is equivalent to the "pragmatic," which is moral judgment. That means, in effect, that pragmatism is a system of morality, since what is pragmatic is good and what is good is pragmatic.

On the other hand, if you are saying that the act of killing is neither good nor bad, just pragmatic, you are saying one of two things: (1) either there is some undisclosed principle by which you can place this act outside of the realm of morality; or (2) that there is no morality at all, and pragmatic acts are as morally neutral as all other acts. If you are saying the former, then you are relying upon a moral judgment; you just haven't disclosed it. If you are saying the latter, then you are still relying upon a moral judgment; furthermore, you run into an additional problem in that you have provided no basis for preferring pragmatic actions over any other.
0 Replies