White Privilege (and others)

maxdancona

Reply Mon 11 Jan, 2016 07:38 am
@Jpsy,
You are ignoring reality.

Continuing racial injustice in American in 2016 is clear and it is measurable. It is a scientific fact that Black people are more likely to be arrested than White people who commit the same crime. They get longer prison sentences and they are far more likely to be shot and killed by police. Black people have a far more difficult time getting a loan than White people with the same income and credit. They still have trouble buying houses in certain areas. And Black kids are still being put into far inferior schools than White kids (taken as a whole).

It would be possible to make the argument that racial injustice doesn't matter and that we should just ignore it.

But to claim that it doesn't exist, or that it doesn't deeply impact the lives of Americans who face it, is simply ignoring reality.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Mon 11 Jan, 2016 08:02 am
@Jpsy,
Quote:
The strange thing is many of the SJWs complaining about white, male privilege, are privileged white males. It's ironic. They're at universities funded by mommy and daddy.

I want to respond to this particularly since I am a privileged White male. I went to University a long time ago, I have a great education and a successful career... I am now funding my kid's education.

It isn't ironic at all that I am "complaining" about White privilege. I want the society I live in to be fair. That is all this is about. I don't resent my career... it is great that I had that opportunity, but I do have to realize that my race made the road to getting the education and the jobs that I have had that much easier. I honestly didn't have to work very hard to be successful, I did study hard. I did my homework, got good grades and bought a nice suit for interviews. But I didn't have to contend with prejudice or with poverty. I just did what was expected of me an things fell in to place exactly as it does for most middle class White people.

I feel strongly that Black and Hispanic Americans should have the same opportunities without having to do any more work than I had to do. That's why I care about this issue.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 11 Jan, 2016 05:34 pm
@maxdancona,
I'm Asian, and I had a similar experience. The only difference being I funded my own college education by working - sometimes full time job and full time class work at the same time. Since our mother was in no condition to fund our college education, all my siblings did the same. My older brother became an attorney, my younger brother an ophthalmologist, and my sister a nurse.
0 Replies

Dr Sliptinschit

Reply Mon 10 Aug, 2020 12:40 am
@maxdancona,
Quote:
I think that White people should recognize that our society is still unfair and that we benefit from it. Any thoughtful person should think about how social attitudes and customs benefit some people at the expense of others.

My party freed the slaves from the racist Democrats, so my hands are clean.

Maybe we should talk about giving reparations to Republicans.
maxdancona

Reply Mon 10 Aug, 2020 12:28 pm
@Dr Sliptinschit,
Dr Sliptinschit wrote:

Quote:
I think that White people should recognize that our society is still unfair and that we benefit from it. Any thoughtful person should think about how social attitudes and customs benefit some people at the expense of others.

My party freed the slaves from the racist Democrats, so my hands are clean.

Wow! You are a lot older than I imagined.
0 Replies