Lash

Reply Mon 28 Dec, 2015 09:56 pm
@blatham,
Learning curve?
blatham

Reply Mon 28 Dec, 2015 10:02 pm
@glitterbag,
Quote:
I never thought about Sen. Al Franken, but he would be great, he's wicked smart.

Yes. Very bright guy. Also genuinely funny and very tough. As I noted elsewhere, as soon as his election was verified, he pretty much disappeared from sight because he did the citizen-representative thing right and got to work for the people who elected him. He's about as selfless and ethical as one might hope for in a politician.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 28 Dec, 2015 10:05 pm
@Lash,
Quote:
Re: blatham (Post 6097602)
Learning curve?

That would be some kind of curve, alright.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 28 Dec, 2015 10:06 pm
Castro was who I was trying to remember.
I just read up on Newsom in Wiki; the episode I was remembering was in 2007, an affair that caused a hullaballoo and treatment for alcohol troubles. He's also dyslexic to some large extent as described in wiki, but he seems very energetic on getting things done. Tad on the conservative side of democrats for a lot of San Franciscans, in my memory (I'm not from there but was a long time SFChronicle reader) and as explained in some of the wiki piece.

Thanks, Glitter, now I think you told me that before and that plus his lack of reported impact re the debates put him on a no-no basis..
Lash

Reply Mon 28 Dec, 2015 11:04 pm
Little buzz about Nina Turner for possible Bernie running mate.
http://www.cleveland.com/open/index.ssf/2015/11/why_nina_turners_shift_from_hi.html
0 Replies

revelette2

Reply Wed 30 Dec, 2015 10:36 am
@maxdancona,
Quote:
A Sanders/Clinton ticket is a horrible idea. They pull too much in opposite directions. Bernie would never ask, and Hillary would never accept.

Perhaps both of them being opposites would be a good thing if they could manage to compromise as it would keep either from going too far in either direction.

From my point of view, it would be a Clinton/Sanders ticket. But Clinton/Franklin would be interesting.

I am hoping against hope a republican doesn't even get close. But if they do, then Rubio and that Kasich fellow.
engineer

Reply Wed 30 Dec, 2015 10:43 am
@blatham,
Ohio is probably the most important state for the electoral college. If Brown swings Ohio by a couple of points, Clinton can lose all the other states Bush won in 2000 or 2004 and still win.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Wed 30 Dec, 2015 10:54 am
@revelette2,
Sanders would have to sell out to be part of a Clinton administration, and Clinton would have to turn her back on everything she has been working for, and everyone she has been working for, to be part of a Sanders administration.

It would be sad for either one.

Lash

Reply Wed 30 Dec, 2015 10:54 am
@ossobuco,
Regarding your info on Newsome: Past Alcohol issues shouldn't be a problem, but conservative is definitely a bad idea for a Clinton ticket.

I like Nina and her popularity in Ohio, and the fact that she made the choice to turn away from Clinton on principle. She could articulate that expressly to the demographic that could hand the nomination to the Bern.
maxdancona

Reply Wed 30 Dec, 2015 10:55 am
@Lash,
"Turn and Bern" is a great name for the ticket!
revelette2

Reply Wed 30 Dec, 2015 11:00 am
@maxdancona,
Quote:
Sanders would have to sell out to be part of a Clinton administration, and Clinton would have to turn her back on everything she has been working for, and everyone she has been working for, to be part of a Sanders administration

Perhaps, still, if they could manage it, for the country, it wouldn't be bad for either one.

I don't know of anyone Bernie Sander's would think isn't into big business or wars by their votes. Just turning away from Clinton tells little about how they voted in the past. Who do you think he would pick? Who do you think Hillary would pick? I don't really know enough about people unless they are in the news a lot.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 30 Dec, 2015 11:08 am
@maxdancona,
Ha! *love*
0 Replies

revelette2

Reply Wed 30 Dec, 2015 11:12 am
Looked up Nina Turn's voting record.

Nina Turner's Voting Records

She might be popular in Ohio, I really wouldn't know, but, she is pretty controversial, although I agree with her myself on Tamir Rice.

Nina Turner, Steve Loomis Get in Heated Debate over Tamir Rice: "Keep it Real." "No, You Keep it Real."
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 30 Dec, 2015 12:12 pm
@Lash,
Well, that was then, and then was in San Francisco, a pretty 'liberal' place, and there was static there at the time. He, as many, might have modified his views by now. He might actually be a good fit with her, even it not. At the least, he's been quite entrepreneurial.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 30 Dec, 2015 12:13 pm
@Lash,
I missed who Nina is, is she back a few posts? I'm about to go out, but will check later.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 30 Dec, 2015 12:14 pm
@maxdancona,
True..
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 30 Dec, 2015 01:21 pm
@ossobuco,
Nina Turner, popular former Ohio state Senator. Helped Hillary in Ohio, switched allegiance to Bernie a few weeks ago.

Would help attract a demographic Bernie needs, but hmmm. Due to Bernie's age, she'd require super vetting cause no national experience. /scowl. I hope he'll take her to DC in some capacity. The progressive wing needs to expand.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 31 Dec, 2015 07:55 pm
Posted elsewhere, but more relevant here.

The following is a quotation from the person that John McCain chose to replace him if something happened to him. Please tell me what this means. Or, read it three times and then turn to another person who hasn't read it and explain what Sarah just said. Is everybody ready?

Quote:
"So up there in Alaska, across the way Russia," Sarah Palin said. "You know there is a name for this taking advantage of America. There is a Russian name for that. And it is called 'fortushka.' And that means Obama's window of opportunity. So as Obama leads from behind the skirt of his right-hand man, Valerie Jarrett, then it's up to Congress to close that window. He may propose. You dispose, Congress. You gotta be in it to win it because we want peace. With unapologetic mighty red, white, and blue, will have peace."
Miller

Reply Fri 1 Jan, 2016 02:20 am
@blatham,
Quote:
Obama leads from behind the skirt of his right-hand man, Valerie Jarrett,

Obama, according to many observers of the so-called political scene, has been Valerie's puppet. In fact, some even suspect that Val was the real President of the US, not Barack Obama.

Valerie molded Obama before the election and for the years that followed after the election. She has been his "guiding light" in many, many Obama actions ( political and non-political) and I for one, can't wait to hear what Ms. Obama has to say about Valerie, once Barack has left office, when she starts to write her memoirs.

As far as what Ms Pallin has said about Russia and its relation to Alaska and the fear of an invasion ( submarines, etc) I've heard the same from Swedes ( living in Sweden). If I lived in Alaska and not Massachusetts, I'd probably be saying the same thing.

We don't have to worry in Massachusetts, about Russians invading the State via submarines. We do have to worry however, about Terrorists bombing our Churchs, schools, parades, airports ,railroads, planes,...etc.

Only a fool would forget the events of 9/11.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 12 Jan, 2016 09:56 am
Nikki Haley will be giving the GOP response tonight, as I'm sure everyone already knows. There's a decision by the GOP to push her up into the spotlight again, the reasons for which are rather too obvious for words. We'll also note that Fiorina has just been dropped back down to the junior league table in the next GOP debates.

Here's a very good piece on Halley by Ed Kilgore (and if you don't know this guy, you should). http://nym.ag/1TSwnLr
0 Replies