Dash Cam

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 21 Dec, 2015 10:03 pm
There are so many careless drivers around here, these days. My reflexes are not as quick as when I was a bit younger. I feel I need the cam.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 21 Dec, 2015 10:04 pm
@oralloy,
Those don't look like bad recommendations but do note that their counsel to only use their links to avoid fakes has nothing to do with protecting you from fakes and everything to do with the fact that they are often affiliate links and they get a cut when you buy after using their links.
0 Replies

FBM

Reply Mon 21 Dec, 2015 10:06 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Can I have it automatically stop recording when I do something stupid (like texting while driving)?

Heh heh. Kinda doubt it. On the other hand, you can choose from 5 languages in the menu. Engrish/Chinese (traditional and simplified), Japanese, Russian and German.
neologist

Reply Wed 23 Dec, 2015 01:41 pm
@FBM,
Added to watch list.
Thanks
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Wed 23 Dec, 2015 02:15 pm
@FBM,
FBM wrote:

maxdancona wrote:

Can I have it automatically stop recording when I do something stupid (like texting while driving)?

Heh heh. Kinda doubt it. On the other hand, you can choose from 5 languages in the menu. Engrish/Chinese (traditional and simplified), Japanese, Russian and German.

Actually,

If I were to buy a dash cam, I would want a panic button that would not only stop recording instantly, but it would irretrievably delete the previous 90 seconds of recorded video when I pushed it. (This would come in handy when I saw the blue lights behind me).

If this feature hasn't already been designed, I should get a patent.

I wouldn't want a recording device in my car without this feature.

Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 23 Dec, 2015 02:55 pm
@maxdancona,
Not bad of an idea! Alternately it could just have all footage encrypted. Not as secure but would be good enough for me and preferable to the panic button in my opinion (no action needed, can't be accused of destroying evidence, have already had the right to not turn over encryption keys upheld etc).
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 23 Dec, 2015 04:21 pm
A cam would make the cam owner more cautious, which is a pretty good deal, for one like me.
0 Replies

FBM

Reply Wed 23 Dec, 2015 10:40 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

Not bad of an idea! Alternately it could just have all footage encrypted. Not as secure but would be good enough for me and preferable to the panic button in my opinion (no action needed, can't be accused of destroying evidence, have already had the right to not turn over encryption keys upheld etc).

I took a magnifying glass to the fine print in the User Manual. It gives the user the option of automatically encrypting the video. I've had this thing for a few years and never knew that until now.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Wed 23 Dec, 2015 10:46 pm
@Robert Gentel,
There is encryption that provides "plausible deniability". For example encrypted drives sometimes fill up blank space with what may or may not be additional data... and no way to tell without having a key (or secondary key). That way, when the authorities ask "what's this extra stuff?" you can say; "these drives always fill up extra space with random garbage".... and you will be right.

I have always liked this idea.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sat 26 Dec, 2015 10:02 am
One important question about functionality and features: Will it zap any and all reckless and dangerous drivers? (As in the Star Trek phasers set to stun)
0 Replies