Would I be confessing to a crime..

glitterbag

Sun 20 Dec, 2015 03:49 pm
I don't think making a statement 'I bought legal weed' is enough to constitute a crime, but I think it's smarter not to talk about it on-line. Not because it's illegal, but because it's really no one else's business. Some folks seize one remark and then run wild.
0 Replies

Ionus

Mon 21 Dec, 2015 05:47 am
@boomerang,
No. You could only be charged if you went into Federal Jurisdiction somehow, or by crossing state lines with it. You are not committing a crime where you live. You would have to be careful though, you could be charged with encouraging someone to commit a crime in another state or federal jurisdiction depending on what you said to them.
0 Replies

Ionus

Mon 21 Dec, 2015 05:50 am
@boomerang,
Same sex marriage was never illegal, it simply was never legal. There is a huge difference.
0 Replies

Ionus

Mon 21 Dec, 2015 06:00 am
@boomerang,
Quote:
My state allows physician assisted suicide. If I were a doctor who advertised in Idaho that I could help patients die, would I be a criminal?
It always seems strange to me that Doctors are allowed to advertise in some countries. The ad would be illegal outside of the state and severe penalties could acrue to the company that advertised. Bearing in mind the ad would have to conform with the particular law within the state.
Ionus

Mon 21 Dec, 2015 06:08 am
@roger,
Since 2011 (from memory) social media has been admissible in Federal Courts.
Linkat

Mon 21 Dec, 2015 02:00 pm
@FBM,
I wouldn't think that is a crime (saying you are married as a gay couple) -- just the marriage would not legally be recognized. It could not be a crime as in a state where gay marriage is illegal -- there would be no marriage even if a ceremony would be performed - so how could it be a crime if it does not exist?
boomerang

Mon 21 Dec, 2015 07:28 pm
@roger,
Quote:
Well, I wish she would go ahead and say it, and hopefully get back to us with some good news.

I did go weed shopping. Actually I was doing some market research for someone who needed a non-smoker's opinion, the "lady" angle, the baby boomer take on it.

It was a pretty interesting experience.

I went shopping in Washington too, which was a completely different animal. They have a much wider range of products and have been at it longer than Oregon.

It was really weird to walk into stores and talk about weed like you're talking about wine -- which is how it is discussed -- except they get more into what kind of feeling you want from your product.

Anyway... the people I was working for game me money and free rein to buy a few samples. They were interested in what I would pick out.

While I'm tempted to try it, I think I'll give it to my pot head neighbor. Mo's a teenager now and it just doesn't feel right to me to be smoking weed.

Or maybe I'll try it one night when I know he won't be home...
boomerang

Mon 21 Dec, 2015 07:31 pm
@Ionus,
As far as I know, no doctor advertises that sort of thing. It was just one of those weird laws that we have that not many other states have.

We have had people move here and establish residency just so that they could make use of the physician assisted suicide law though.
0 Replies

boomerang

Mon 21 Dec, 2015 07:33 pm
@Ionus,
Quote:
Since 2011 (from memory) social media has been admissible in Federal Courts.

I'm not sure why this was marked down. That was my understanding too.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Mon 21 Dec, 2015 07:38 pm
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:

It was really weird to walk into stores and talk about weed like you're talking about wine -- which is how it is discussed -- except they get more into what kind of feeling you want from your product.

did they have free magazines with recipe and lifestyle ideas? it's the best part of going to the LCBO (liquor store) here. Cooking classes, magazines ... love the liqour store.
Robert Gentel

Mon 21 Dec, 2015 07:44 pm
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:
Mo's a teenager now and it just doesn't feel right to me to be smoking weed.

Well it's not good for teenage brains and all, I can understand why.

Quote:
Or maybe I'll try it one night when I know he won't be home...

If you do let us know what you think.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Mon 21 Dec, 2015 07:49 pm
I think I'm past the timing for olden offenses.

I'm a mix in that it has always been obvious to me that pot is fine, though I know it's gotten many more variations than back in my day, and that variations can be strong. My day wasn't even my day, as I'm preboomer era; I liked it fine, but I preferred gin and tonic at the time. Never had my own.

It's true, though, that my dog ate the weed my then business partner's boyfriend had stashed. Boy, was he pissed off. Sandpaw did live to see a lot more days in life. He's sometimes an avatar by me, the shepherd-looking dog at the top of an iron staircase, casing out his journey down to the yard and getting away to the beach. He was a traveler, found in the first place as a puppy on the railroad tracks behind our place.

I still don't get why a person can't raise one damned plant in their house or garden. Or am I wrong on that? I may want brownies again in my future.

Meantime, I just read a New Yorker article that wakes me up = about a site called Erowid, Boy, have I been out of it..

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2015/11/23/the-trip-planners
0 Replies

boomerang

Mon 21 Dec, 2015 08:26 pm
@ehBeth,
What!? When you go to the liquor store they have magazines and stuff? I want to know more about Canadian liquor stores.
FBM

Mon 21 Dec, 2015 08:30 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

I wouldn't think that is a crime (saying you are married as a gay couple) -- just the marriage would not legally be recognized. It could not be a crime as in a state where gay marriage is illegal -- there would be no marriage even if a ceremony would be performed - so how could it be a crime if it does not exist?

As far as I understand it, it's the issuing of marriage licenses in those states that is illegal, not declaring yourself to be a couple. I don't think anybody could prevent a couple from having a non-legally-binding ceremony if they wanted to.

Likewise, it's not posting your activity on FB that's the crime, but the Feds could use that to find you, and if they found you with weed, they could use the FB post as evidence against you, in addition to the weed that they caught you with. But as it was mentioned earlier, it's a moot point because the Feds have said that they're not out to prosecute people in states where pot has been legalized.
boomerang

Mon 21 Dec, 2015 09:25 pm
@FBM,
In some US states I believe sodomy is still a felony.

Couldn't saying "I married my same sex partner" be an admission of breaking sodomy laws?

Realistically, I don't think anyone is going to hunt me down for buying weed or anyone down for sodomy. I'm really more concerned with possible repercussions of such admissions.

Like, if I ended up in the news for something either heroic or criminal and people started digging into my life would one of the things they stick on is my admission of having bought weed?

I've had so many conversations with Mo about how what he posts online, even the stupid things he clicks "like" to, could come back and bite him in the ass. As an adult who doesn't "like" much I've never really thought about how these things might apply to me.

I read an article a while back about online reputation management. It's a booming field. Interesting stuff.
FBM

Mon 21 Dec, 2015 09:31 pm
@boomerang,
I wouldn't worry about your reputation if it's legal where you bought it. As for "liking" stuff on FB, there's a guy in Thailand who's going to prison for liking (and sharing?) something that broke their lese-majeste law. Sucks to be him.
0 Replies

Ionus

Mon 21 Dec, 2015 10:10 pm
@boomerang,
Quote:
In some US states I believe sodomy is still a felony.
Most states had repealed sodomy laws by the turn of the millennia. A couple of years later the SC invalidated any remaining laws.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Mon 21 Dec, 2015 10:49 pm
@boomerang,
this is the magazine from our provincial liquor control board

http://foodanddrink.ca/fooddrink/index.shtml

it's always got excellent recipes - sort of a free Martha Stewart/Fine Cooking thing

local classes and tastings - the posher classes are $ but worth it - very good chefs run them - even better than the grocery store ones

http://www.lcbo.com/content/lcbo/en/learn/taste-and-experience-guide/greater-toronto-area.html#.VnjVxxUrLIU

manored

Mon 21 Dec, 2015 11:14 pm
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:

Couldn't saying "I married my same sex partner" be an admission of breaking sodomy laws?
That would be too much of a stretch to ever hold up in court. Marriage does not imply sex, specially not of a specific variety.
Ionus

Mon 21 Dec, 2015 11:48 pm
@manored,
The legal definition of sodomy can include ANY non-procreative sex such as anal, oral or masturbating an other, whether with the opposite sex, same sex or an animal. Anything regarded as going against the norm of nature.
0 Replies