Portfolio Review

sozobe

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2004 08:09 am
I know what you mean about the roundness, boomer! I have a lot of pictures that are cropped like the "eyes" pic.

In trial customer mode, that wouldn't bother me.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2004 08:25 am
I'm glad that you know what I mean about roundness, sozobe - it can really be a difficult shape to work with.

I think deciding where/if to crop is one of the hardest parts of photography.

I know a lot of people don't like this kind of cropping which, I guess, is one important reason to put together a portfolio showing different styles. I should aim to shoot some more traditionally cropped stuff for inclusion.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2004 08:34 am
I just remembered that my mom complains about that -- "it's a great picture, but where's the rest of her?!" So yeah, I like it, (prolly at least in part because I get the behind-the-camera aspect of it), but probably good to have some others too.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2004 08:37 am
Re: framing/ cropping, my dad has a VERY fancy camera and takes gorgeous, precisely calibrated pics of flowers, rusty old trucks in fields, that sort of thing. But when he tries to take pictures of the sozlet, he sits there twisting this, fiddling with that, adjusting the other, while the sozlet gets bored and runs off.

Precise calibration and kid pics don't mix so great.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2004 08:41 am
I have several fancy cameras - an arsenal, actually. The two I use most often are the dinky one and my oldest one. I've had that camera for about 25 years and my fingers know it so well that I don't even have to think.

No doubt, different kinds of photography require different tools.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2004 12:57 pm
It is strange about the t.eyes, and the t. tree. To me, those pics are enhanced by the cropping. In some of the others, I think that it detracts.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2004 07:43 am
That comment really intrigues me, Phoenix! I'm going to go take another look with "works" here, but not here, in mind.....

Thanks.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2004 06:09 pm
Checking in.... I hadn't seen the pix until you directed me to the portfolio, Boomerang. I didn't even consider the missing tops-of-heads until Phoenix mention them.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2004 11:26 am
Hi little k. Thanks for taking a look.

Sorry for the late reply, I went to the beach for a few days and just got back.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2004 11:45 am
I posted some comments too. Liked the photos a great deal.
I didn't go to baby pictures yet, in case there are any there.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2004 02:51 pm
Hi osso - I just checked the comments again and saw your responses, and Jer's. Thank you both!

It seems that it is going to be much more difficult to get a clear concensus on what is "good" or "saleable" with these shots. Studio work is much less complicated!

I think its very interesting that what one person really liked about the photo would be something that another person didn't like about it.

Which leads me down two paths....

To niche market to people who like the style and to rely on studio work for those wanting more traditional portraits.

Or, to try to "traditionalize" this style a bit, for the sake of marketablity.

Those are tough questions for me to answer!

I've done studio work for so long that marketablity has always taken center stage and I haven't done much work in my own "style" in well.... a long time.

The lab should have my prints ready today. I'm excited to see the finished results!

I want to thank you all again for your comments. You've given me some confidence to show the photos around a bit - after adding to the portfolio, of course. I haven't shown anybody my personal work in quite a while and it was a scary endevor for me!
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2004 09:23 am
I really like the cropping - but that is personal taste , it's something i tend to do often in both photos and paintings.

I like them a lot, i like the naturalness, the way you wait your moment and catch a character.

Maybe you could price by time? no committment to the number of images to choose from but a certain amount of time for the shoot and a guaranteed minimum? attend a birthday party/whatever and do a shoot there while children are excited and involved and as ease?

I only have a cheapish digital - do the expensive ones have a good enough speed to catch the action? I find with mine that i have to half depress the shutter to focus, the action is frozen (only a problem with fast action) and by the time the shutter clicks .... well it's sheer luck if have judged it right! Some work fine and in others Rosie is gone! at least i can take loads and so i know some will work out. I still like film.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2004 11:02 am
Hi Vivian and thank you for your comments.

Auto focus can be a pain when trying to shoot a moving target. I have the same problem with my expensive digital camera. I want to look for one that doesn't require focusing - a sort of range-finder digital.

I'll have to think some on the "time" pricing. I can feel a few problems with it - but there are problems with every kind of pricing. Shooting a party is a fun idea that I hadn't thought of.

As to your comment in the gallery about the cropping of the girl in boots ---

I had a really hard time figuring out how to crop this one, in particular. There is a lot more background and I must have cropped it 10 ways before I decided on this one. To me, the contrast between her purposeful stride and confident expression with the ambiguous setting is what settled the cropping question for me.

Thanks again!
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2004 11:13 am
That last bit was in regard to osso's comment too.

I'm going to play around with that photo a bit more to see if I can come up with something.... different....
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2004 08:01 pm
First, I'd like to thank eBeth for adding her comments to the gallery!

The response from the people I've sent the photos to, or shown them to has been very interesting when compared to the A2K posters.

The favorite has been: the "pool" shot that some objected to the nudity and the "grass" shot that some thought was too sensual. Another favorite was the "muscle" shot of the two kids together.

I'm thinking that there might be a big difference between what the people who know the kids think, and what other people think. That will certainly make doing this kind of portrait more challenging.

Thanks to you all again for your comments and suggestions.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2004 10:17 pm
I think you might need a bigger sample of a2kers, Boomer.
0 Replies

Chuckster

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2004 11:10 pm
Hey Boomer! Help! I'm a newbie and don't know where the portfolio is to be accessed. FRUSTRATION. Have some things to share on framing,cropping and event-capture. Will you or some of these dear souls help out Mr. All thumbs?
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2004 11:17 pm
Hi chuckster.

Go to the top of the page and click on "gallery". Some of my photos are in "baby" (because I put them in the wrong place) and others are in "original art and photo".

I'd love to hear your comments.
0 Replies

Chuckster

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2004 11:59 pm
Thanks! The "Intimacy" and sweetness of close-cropping is undeniable.(Your far left facial of "Little Dear Heart" is a nice example). There's really no real way from my experience in touching the inner Angel than by this form of cropping. (ask a non-artist and they will invariably say something about cutting "Cuties'" ear off...that of course is the problem...asking a non-creative is an artificial exercise...(most folks just don't have the vocabulary or the mission sense you have.) This kind of stuff is almost standard in TV and film production these days and audiences almost expect it without knowing why. Digital stuff still amazes me with startling naturalness in color and low lighting.
Do more of this stuff Boom-doggie! You got the "knack"!
I'll mention lighting only because the gallery is a little sparse in back lighting,bounce flash and fill, and indirect available lighting. Try it all. (Even including a hand held reflective thingy in Junior's grubby little mitt.)
On working that "bond" between your subject and yourself, I agree that closer seems to be better and more exposures is key to that captured "discovered moment" everyone gives Cartier-Bresson so much credit for. Starting a make believe story that you "create" together as you go can often provoke sheer joy reactions.
Pricing? This is still a rich clients game. They expect heirloom
results and know that it costs. Start high and go higher. Glowing referrals from great results are your best source of business.
Keep up the good work Boomer!
I'd love to follow your success. Stay in touch.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2004 11:22 am
Thank you for your comments, chuckster.

Your comment about people expecting it but not knowing why is interesting.

In my studio work I've found that older teens and young adults really like "odd" cropping - and they will often fight their parents who want to buy more traditional choices. It could be a generational thing in some ways. It might be worth spending a day browsing the magazine section for differences in styles directed at different generations.
0 Replies