Briancrc

Reply Sat 26 Dec, 2015 06:50 am
@Briancrc,
Quote:
Scroll down to see photos of the recent flooding in Miami Beach and Fort Lauderdale and share with your out-of-state family and friends who may not understand how bad the flooding can get in South Florida.

http://mediad.publicbroadcasting.net/p/wlrn/files/styles/small/public/201310/IMG_20131018_095101_0.jpg
10th and Alton in Miami Beach.
http://mediad.publicbroadcasting.net/p/wlrn/files/styles/small/public/201310/NancyGassmanPhoto3_0.jpg
The historic Stranahan House in Fort Lauderdale.
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/proxy/6VAEmiUAsXS0Sw6RsZqynwB3arDJSg6piwrQzdnoQm3ORmPVbusUKT_viZLywB2p9Du3N10cFX5pn2FtOFDvSxERbERdmeqn1JWI5lx9KDMFd8xJDWvTYDjSAqO44zzNDqdEZqlTt0oMT_U1J9w=w426-h301-p
FBM

Reply Sat 26 Dec, 2015 07:11 am
Quote:
The Last Generation of Kiribati
Rising sea levels are forcing people to leave this island nation

“We are water people,” Rupee’s grandmother says, explaining that her family had lived near the coast for more than two generations. It gave her family privacy and allowed them to escape the crowds and problems associated with living further inland.

In recent years, however, King Tides – as islanders refer to periodic, extremely high tides – have become much more frequent, turning Eita’s low-lying residential areas into an ever-expanding swamp.

Several years ago, the seawater finally swelled above the coast’s shallow banks of Rupee’s home. The high tides swept through the grounds of their property, reducing it to a lagoon-side islet.

A few hours previously, we’d walked through these parts. At the time, it looked like a dry moonscape. Now it was filled with several feet of seawater.
At low tide, one can glimpse how the once-fertile soil has been transformed into a thick clay of mud, sewage and stagnant water. Stumps of dead coconut trees and car parts slowly rusting in the harsh Kiribati sun lend the seashore a post-apocalyptic feel.

During low tide, local kids play soccer on Rupee’s family lot. But when the tide is high, the ocean engulfs the family home along with entire other blocks.

http://mashable.com/2014/12/04/kiribati-last-generation/#K.16gv2a8kqy
Wilso

Reply Sat 26 Dec, 2015 07:29 am
Am I the only one who's noted that most climate change deniers completely believe that a man once walked on water?
BillRM

Reply Sat 26 Dec, 2015 08:54 am
@Wilso,
Quote:
Am I the only one who's noted that most climate change deniers completely believe that a man once walked on water?

Well this so call climate denial is a damn atheist but what the hell after all you are a true believer is similar nonsense yourself.
BillRM

Reply Sat 26 Dec, 2015 09:09 am
@FBM,
Strange as Key West at it very highest point is 18 feet above sea level with the rest of the island far lower then that and the others keys are as low or lower and they are not going underwater at the moment.

Maybe there is something other then sea level raise that apply to Kiribati island that does not apply to the keys or other low level islands around the world.

FBM

Reply Sat 26 Dec, 2015 09:21 am
@BillRM,
http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb192/DinahFyre/read.gif

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/18/miami-flooding_n_4118528.html

Quote:
Miami Flooding Getting Worse With Sea-Level Rise

Because the Atlantic Ocean has risen about 9 inches in the past 80 to 100 years, the problem continues to deepen, said Jennifer Jurado, director of Broward County's Natural Resources Planning and Management Division.

"For many community members, who live in low-lying areas, the flooding has significantly increased in the last several years, compared to what they were experiencing two decades ago," she said.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/02/florida-keys-sea-level-rise_n_3532643.html

Quote:
Florida Keys Prepare For Sea Level Rise

A tidal gauge operating since before the Civil War has documented a sea level rise of 9 inches in the last century, and officials expect that to double over the next 50 years. So when building a new Stock Island fire station, county authorities went ahead added a foot and a half over federal flood planning directives that the ground floor be built up 9 feet.

Seasonal tidal flooding that was once a rare inconvenience is now so predictable that some businesses at the end of Key West's famed Duval Street stock sandbags just inside their front doors, ready anytime.

"It's really easy to see during our spring high tides that the sea level is coming up – for whatever reason – and we have to accommodate for that," said Johnnie Yongue, the on-site technician at the fire station for Monroe County's project management department.

http://www.nature.org/ourinitiatives/regions/northamerica/unitedstates/florida/explore/the-11-billion-question-can-the-florida-keys-adapt-to-sea-level-rise.xml

Quote:
Florida
The $27 Billion Question

Hurricane Sandy demonstrated clearly how serious the risks of rising seas and storm surges are for land near sea level. Here in Florida, the Florida Keys tell the story of rising seas better than most places, with 90 percent of the land mass at five feet above sea level or less.

Homes, businesses, infrastructure and people, as well as natural areas and native species are affected by sea level rise today and may be impacted by storm surge at any time.
To find out how much or how little margin there really might be for adapting to rising seas, a team of researchers in the Keys, led by Bergh, collected high-resolution elevation data of Big Pine Key and the best-available elevation data for the remainder of the Keys and combined that with the various projections of sea level rise prepared by the UN’s Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change and others.

The results were startling: Even the most conservative scenario of a seven-inch rise in sea level by 2100 would equate to dramatic changes in habitat for plants and animals.

“It’s worth repeating that the projected sea level rise of seven inches is actually the most conservative scenario under the IPCC,” says Bergh.

Further refinement of the research in 2011 with even more detailed elevation data, led by Florida International University, shows the property value of the land at risk of inundation from 5 feet of sea level rise is about $27 billion with 56,000 residents and 76,000 acres impacted.

Bergh cites several studies, including the empirical evidence of the tide gauge at Key West, one of the longest continuous records of its kind in the U.S. Its collected data indicate that from 1913 to 2006, the sea rose about nine inches. Considering how quickly the world’s glaciers and ice sheets are melting, it seems, notes Bergh, “far more likely that sea level rise in the Keys –and around the globe - will be significantly higher in this century than the last.”
BillRM

Reply Sat 26 Dec, 2015 10:03 am
@BillRM,
I did a fast check on the current sea level raise and it s about an inch a decade or ten inches in a hundred years.

It will be a while before I will need to trade my florida homes for a houseboat.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Sat 26 Dec, 2015 10:17 am
@FBM,
You have to laugh as in the 1930 hurricane that hit the Keys and killed hundreds some of the keys was completely under water.

No global warming needed when you are talking about low level islands and Hurricanes.

But now every extreme weather event from Hurricanes to even snow storms are the results of global warming.

Hell if the 1930s hurricane event would hit the Keys now it would be declared in large print as proof that we are doom.

Thirty foot seas level raised printed in such outlet as the New Yorker as it is likely to happen in the next fifth years or less.

As I stated humans just love doomsdays stories and will buy magazines and such that contain them.

Minor floodings is blown up as the first sign of a coming doomsday,
FBM

Reply Sat 26 Dec, 2015 10:31 am
Recommended reading:

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb192/DinahFyre/Denialism.jpg
BillRM

Reply Sat 26 Dec, 2015 12:00 pm
@Briancrc,
How damn dishonest can you be as my bet is that if I took the time I could find similar black and white flooding pictures with model Ts dating back to the 1920s.

Flooding in the Miami Beach and Fort Lauderdale areas is nothing new.
BillRM

Reply Sat 26 Dec, 2015 12:06 pm
@FBM,
Michael Specter is a journalis making money off the global warming doomsday myth.

So why would his opinions on this subject carry any more weigh then anyone else on the planet?
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 26 Dec, 2015 12:25 pm
@BillRM,
Because they speak proper English.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Sat 26 Dec, 2015 01:16 pm
@BillRM,
They will be no doomsday, just a progressive heating up of the climate, a slow change in coastline, and more and more extreme weather events eg hurricanes galore. That's not "doom", it's just a climate becoming progressively more hostile to humans.
MontereyJack

Reply Sat 26 Dec, 2015 02:05 pm
Been to Miami Beach larely, Bill? Better make sure to pack you hipboots when you go for all the. floods they've been gettting lately.
BillRM

Reply Sat 26 Dec, 2015 05:55 pm
@Olivier5,
Quote:
They will be no doomsday, just a progressive heating up of the climate, a slow change in coastline, and more and more extreme weather events eg hurricanes galore.

Let see a likelihood of being able to have cargo ships going over the north pole with and perhaps even without the aid of icebreakers.

Sound kind of wonderful to me.

Crops being able to be growth must further north then ever before and with longer growing seasons that does not sound all that bad either.

Less hurricanes not more due to more upper atmosphere wind sheer tearing them apart before they can build up.

If the climate does warm there will likely be as many winners as losers and one thing we do know is that with or without humans the climate is and will always remain in the process of changing.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Sat 26 Dec, 2015 06:04 pm
@MontereyJack,
Bullshit as I been to both Miami Beach and Fort Lauderdale within the last few weeks and found no need for hipboots.

Love people who are trying to paint a nonsense picture of south florida even to those who had live there since the late 1960s.

It been a year since I been all the way to Key West but at the time of the last visit I did not need scuba gear.

Silly silly people......................
0 Replies

FBM

Reply Sat 26 Dec, 2015 06:19 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

Michael Specter is a journalis making money off the global warming doomsday myth.

So why would his opinions on this subject carry any more weigh then anyone else on the planet?

And your statement is a logical fallacy, ad hominem. Why would a fallacious argument carry more weight than a valid one? The empirical data won't change just because you don't personally like what they say.
BillRM

Reply Sat 26 Dec, 2015 06:19 pm
I also find it amusing that the same type of people and in many cases the same people who interfere with the moving the US electric grid off coal and oil to nuclear for the last fifth years are the same ones now crying about CO2 and climate changes they are claiming are the results of the same power plants being used for all those decades longer then they needed to be.

Yes there is an assault on logic and science but it not the people who question the degree of human driven climate change.

FBM

Reply Sat 26 Dec, 2015 06:24 pm
denialism - definition

NOUN

the deliberate choice to deny the truth about something because it is too uncomfortable or difficult to accept
Climate change denialism soon spread beyond the US, especially to the countries of the English-speaking world.
BillRM

Reply Sat 26 Dec, 2015 06:36 pm
@FBM,
Quote:
And your statement is a logical fallacy, ad hominem. Why would a fallacious argument carry more weight than a valid one?

Funny as it would seems his whole book is nothing more and nothing less then an ad hominem attack on people he label as deniers for daring to question the unproven claims of the supporters of human driven climate change.

But it was a good try if kind of silly on it face.