Briancrc

Reply Fri 25 Dec, 2015 10:16 am
@BillRM,
Are you asking for an explanation because you have none? I was deferring to you to explain the data.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 25 Dec, 2015 12:18 pm
@FBM,
Each word is English, but put together, it's greek! LOL
BillRM

Reply Fri 25 Dec, 2015 12:36 pm
@cicerone imposter,
LOL when someone know that they can not win a debate they go for an ad hominem attack................

Quote:
An ad hominem (Latin for "to the man" or "to the person"[1]), short for argumentum ad hominem, is an attack on an argument made by attacking the character, motive, or other attribute of the person making the argument, rather than attacking the argument directly. When used inappropriately, it is a logical fallacy in which a claim or argument is dismissed on the basis of some irrelevant fact or supposition about the author or the person being criticized.
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 25 Dec, 2015 12:45 pm
@BillRM,
I only attacked the grammar. Your definition doesn't apply. LOL
BillRM

Reply Fri 25 Dec, 2015 01:07 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Sure it does not..............

In any case, the amount of CO2 being released by mankind is a short term spike as we go toward nuclear and other sources but of course you guys will need to talk to mother nature about her plans concern climate changes as the earth had gone from very warm to a snow ball earth with no humans around.
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 25 Dec, 2015 01:15 pm
@BillRM,
Most people who have some level of education knows about the climate cycles of earth. The issue is man's use of fossil fuels that influences our climate.
BillRM

Reply Fri 25 Dec, 2015 01:49 pm
@cicerone imposter,
No the issue is if that used is first of all having a significance effect and if it is having such an effect if on balance is the effect for the good or the bad as far as mankind is concern.

With the limit of our knowledge and the inherent limitation of climate modeling those questions can not be answer.

Therefore there is no logical reason to take great effects to reduce such possible impacts with special note that technology is trending toward reduce impacts in any case.

Climate is changing and going to be changing with or without human inputs.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Fri 25 Dec, 2015 02:58 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

Yes indeed

Quote:
I am not for example the one rejecting a whole branch of mathematics that is stating such systems as the climate being a chaos system is beyond the ability of long term modeling as in beyond a few days.

Quote:
Sorry but those doomsday prediction have no scientific backing and in fact never can have any scientific backing.

Yes it does: More GHG means more heat pent up in the atmosphere, means more extreme weather events. We already see this happening. In a century or two it'll be fat worse, given that more and more GHG go into the atmosphere.

Quote:
It is all a matter of faith, nothing more and nothing less.

Indeed. I believe a catastrophic evolution of the climate is quite possible, indeed likely given our inability to slow down emissions. You believe it's next to impossible, for some unknown and mysterious reason.

Quote:
There seems to be a deep deep need in the human soul to believe that mankind sins will result in our doom in one manner or another.

In your case our sin of burning fossil fuels in order to get our technology culture started will result in another great flood.

Are you in the process of growing a long beard and building another ark?

Look at you: You have no idea what i think but you have already accused me of all... well... SINS. Who is pretending to be a prophet now?
BillRM

Reply Fri 25 Dec, 2015 04:17 pm
@Olivier5,
No there are feedbacks and interactions such as warmer oceans likely mean more cloud cover that mean more of the solar heat being reflected off into space, it also likely mean more snow fall over the Antarctica land mass and more rain and snow over a large percent of the others lands masses and on and on and on.

Earth is not a black body object but a very very complex one instead. Hell if the earth was a simple black body object at our distant from the sun it surface temperature would be 150 degree.

No computer model can do meaningful predictions on the end results.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 25 Dec, 2015 04:54 pm
Time for me to give a link for those who might be interested -

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2015/12/21/the-siege-of-miami

This is by Elizabeth Kolbert, on temperatures and sea levels. She is a Pulitzer Prize Winner this year.

I clicked on it to see if it worked, and the link shows the whole article, which has a lot of detail to it. The piece gets into a variety of opinions about different aspects re Florida's increasing difficulties with sea levels, et al.
BillRM

Reply Fri 25 Dec, 2015 05:32 pm
@ossobuco,
Odd I am living in Florida and have not run into any difficulties with sea levels and the keys are still there also.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 25 Dec, 2015 06:14 pm
@BillRM,
Read the article..
It describes pros and cons and maybes and varied situations way better than I could, who has never been to Florida but have friends there and read about it.
BillRM

Reply Fri 25 Dec, 2015 06:48 pm
@ossobuco,
Well the New Yorker try to finger print my computer and as a result my security software caused a browser lock up but I did get the first little bit about a 30 ft sea level rise and the sea going over the whole state in fifty years of less.

With some very minor flooding during high solar and moon tides on Miami Beach AIA as a warning of things to come as in 30 feet sea level raise.

I got so nerve that I am planing on selling both of my south florida homes and buying a houseboat.

Lord what bullshit, I am sorry that I could not get enough details to ripped the article apart at least not without allowing the finger printing of my computer.

Footnote for some reason the New Yorker seen not to be happy with just cookies and is using a technology call finger printing to ID people computers across the net by way of checking the response times and other factors of your video card.

MontereyJack

Reply Sat 26 Dec, 2015 12:44 am
@BillRM,
Go to your local library and read it there, bill. People who know a hell of a lot more about hydrology than you do are not optimistic. Unless you're fond of living permanently in a warm saltwater hip bath, you better start some future-proofing your life.
FBM

Reply Sat 26 Dec, 2015 12:48 am
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

Odd I am living in Florida and have not run into any difficulties with sea levels and the keys are still there also.

= It snowed today, so global warming isn't real. http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb192/DinahFyre/lalala.gif
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Sat 26 Dec, 2015 03:18 am
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

No there are feedbacks and interactions such as warmer oceans likely mean more cloud cover that mean more of the solar heat being reflected off into space, it also likely mean more snow fall over the Antarctica land mass and more rain and snow over a large percent of the others lands masses and on and on and on.

As a general rule, feedback mechanisms never offset entirely the stuff they respond to. As a matter of facts, in this case, CO2 and temperature HAVE BEEN RISING since the industrial revolution. So whatever feedback mechanisms there are have not offset entirely our effect on global climate. They have only mitigated it somewhat. There is no reason to believe that this is going to change. Therefore GHG levels and temperature will keep up rising.

Beside, there are also positive feedback mechanisms, stuff triggered by GW that reenforce it, such as the permafrost melting, roting and releasing methane in the atmosphere. The Artic Sea is also releasing more methane that it used to. Methane is a much more potent GHG than CO2.
BillRM

Reply Sat 26 Dec, 2015 03:42 am
@MontereyJack,
It is nonsense repeat nonsense with a picture, on top of Miami Beach going under water.

It had the same foundation as the cover and article in Popular Mechanics once that have the major cities of the US going under the ice sheets due to a new ice age.

We as humans love predicting doomsdays of one kind or another.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Sat 26 Dec, 2015 03:58 am
@Olivier5,
I know this is your religion but it is not mine so enjoy your doomsday fears of water washing over the coast lines of the world.

For myself I can think of more likely dooms for the semi-near future such as one of the half dozen super volcanos known or one that is yet unknown letting loose for example.

Dying by fire instead of by water. In any case sooner or later one of those doomsday events will happen if not likely in our lifetimes or our great great grandchildren lifetimes.

I will give you this your fear does have the always helpful component that it would be due to human sinning instead of a mother nature random event.

Olivier5

Reply Sat 26 Dec, 2015 04:21 am
@BillRM,
You are in denial. I speak science, YOU bring up religion.
0 Replies

Briancrc

Reply Sat 26 Dec, 2015 06:35 am
@BillRM,
Quote:

http://media.npr.org/assets/img/2014/10/08/miami-high-tides_slide-bcc905d9a1f81614b1a743b8b2996a62f35ae182-s1200-c85.jpg
Quote:
Cindy Minnix waits for a bus in a flooded street on Oct. 18, 2012, in Miami Beach. A changing climate is making floods related to high tides more frequent, scientists say.