Vatican: Catholic politicians should heed church guidlines

au1929

Reply Thu 16 Jan, 2003 11:05 am
Vatican: Catholic politicians should heed church guidelines
Vatican: Catholic politicians should heed church guidelinesVATICAN CITY (AP) — The Vatican issued a new set of guidelines for Catholic politicians Thursday, reminding them to heed the church's "nonnegotiable" teachings on abortion, euthanasia, same-sex marriage and other issues when making public policy.
The Vatican said it was publishing the document now because of medical and scientific advances and because of the "emergence of ambiguities or questionable positions in recent times."
The guidelines, prepared by the Vatican's orthodoxy watchdog, the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, don't offer any change to the church's long-held opposition to abortion, euthanasia, gay marriage and its promotion of the rights of the unborn.
Rather, they serve as a reminder of church teachings for Catholic politicians, so that when they vote for legislation or otherwise influence public policy, they do so in line with certain "nonnegotiable ethical principles."
I must wonder if the object is to diminish the chances catholics being elected political office. Is the Vatican so out of touch with reality?

http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/2003-01-16-vatican-politicians_x.htm
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,090 • Replies: 14
No top replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 20 Jan, 2003 12:30 am
Re: Vatican: Catholic politicians should heed church guidlin
au1929 wrote:
Is the Vatican so out of touch with reality?

Yup. Pretty much has been for about 1200 years or so, as far as I can see.

timber
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 20 Jan, 2003 12:42 am
The Church could quickly lose access to American policy making bodies by making their expectations public and non negotiable. I am surprised they have not considered this, or chose to ignore their considerations.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Mon 20 Jan, 2003 08:50 am
In the ongoing fight against Roe v Wade the American life league will target top Catholic democrats with adds demanding they "either openly recant their pro-abortion stance or cease claiming to be Catholic.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 20 Jan, 2003 10:22 am
I suspect you are right, au. The Church is really backed into a corner here. We could see what would amount to another schism come of this. Roman, Byzantine, Greek, Russian, and soon American Catholic Churches ... same books, same saints, same sacraments, same prayers, and differing interpretations of "The Law". This could come down to, and may severely damage, Papal Authority.

It promises at the very least a dillema for American Catholics.

timber
0 Replies

Lash Goth

Reply Fri 24 Jan, 2003 12:04 am
Could they ex-communicate (OK, I think that is the wrong word) a Catholic politician for going against church policy?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 24 Jan, 2003 12:09 am
I seem to have read an article in yahoo's news that this was nonbinding, so that doesn't seem to be a threat. Don't remember exactly when, but recently enough that it was after this discussion was started. Either way, this looks like a losing issue for the Catholic Church.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 24 Jan, 2003 12:21 am
The Vatican is not much noted for non-binding pronouncements or to allowinM latitude for interpretation of "matters of Faith".

When it comes to Doctrine, Rome is unequivocably Dogmatic as a general rule.

timber

'
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 24 Jan, 2003 12:33 am
Well, I still think I read that, but it isn't supported by Bishop challenges Davis on abortion.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 24 Jan, 2003 12:53 am
The core of this issue, from your article, rog:

Quote:
"For 2,000 years, the Catholic Church has steadfastly defended the sanctity of all human life," said American Life League president Judie Brown. "The simple fact is you cannot actively support abortion and be a faithful Catholic. You can't have it both ways. The Church's teachings on this matter are very clear."

The Associated Press reports that Kerry has rejected the Vatican's new guidelines.

Governor Davis is reportedly not backing down either. Spokesman Russ Lopez deflected the challenge from the bishop and criticized Weigand for "telling the faithful how to practice their faith." He then predicted Weigand's comments would alienate California Catholics.

"There are a lot of Catholics who are pro-choice. Does the bishop want all Catholics to stop receiving Holy Communion?" he asked. "Who's going to be left in church?"

This could be a real Biggie for Rome and for Catholic Democrats. Should a new Pope come about between now and Election Tim (a fair possibility)
I would anticipate a vigorous effort to rein in "rebellious" Catholics to be among the new Pope's very first initiatives. This has implications, at the very least.

timber
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Fri 24 Jan, 2003 10:20 am
Catholic politicians have ignored church mandates for quite a while. I don't recall any of them ever having been tossed from the church. This issue was one of the concerns expressed by many when JFK ran. I would hope that the overwhelming majority would continue to operate under the same philosophy just as their predecessors and politicians of other faiths have....
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 24 Jan, 2003 10:24 am
You are quite right, fishin', American Catholic Politicians have long written their own Doctrine. The Vatican's "Tolerance" for such behavior may well become noticeably less encompassing. The Church, in fact, might relish and sieze an opportunity to steer attention away from the Sexual Abuse pecadillo currently beleaguering her American Faithful. Its an issue which bears watching ... particularly should a new and "Conservative" Pope come about over the next year or two.

timber
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Sat 12 Apr, 2008 11:19 am
Now the Vatican ruling president s a German and he is a die hard old person.

As a German I need some carification from this global audience..
How come that religion should play a role to shape the world?
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Sat 12 Apr, 2008 02:38 pm
When this subject was opened for intellectual discussion there was another sales manager in Vatican.
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Sat 12 Apr, 2008 04:14 pm
0 Replies