Ali G in Arizona

dlowan

Reply Tue 3 Aug, 2004 04:00 pm
Ha! We had a sort of Ali G character many years ago - in the person of a character called Norman Gunston - (played by Gary Macdonald) but he was an inept, pathetic creature - with toilet paper on his shaving nicks, and a greasy combover. (Known as "the little Aussie bleeder") It is very Oz that he should be pathetic and inept - rather than flashy and such - I mean, we celebrate out biggest war DEFEAT as our national soldiers' day...

Anywho - he would turn up at real press conferences and such with international celebs, and politicians and so forth - and ask the most seemingly stupid and pathetic questions, that were actually brilliantly satirical.... we miss him....

http://www.abc.net.au/corp/gallery/Norm16.jpeg

Er sorry - that was a major digression.

Anywho - this thread has FINALLY sorted Ali G fro the awful Kenny G in my mind! I confess I kept confusing them...

I do wish Craven would give us Newt Gingrich on women's rights......
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Tue 3 Aug, 2004 07:02 pm
dlowan, there is also an ali g./borat segment when he goes to an exclusive wine tasting in mississippi. he's sitting around with a bunch of old white boys and the wine porter is a black man. borat asks "is he your slave?"
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 3 Aug, 2004 09:23 pm
I'll transcribe the Newt interview later dlowan, as well as the ones where he pokes fun at rigid feminists.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 3 Aug, 2004 10:02 pm
I sense a tone......she said Seinfeldianishly....but thank you, indeed.
0 Replies

Adrian

Reply Tue 3 Aug, 2004 10:09 pm
They've been showing the british series and the US series here since, I think '01. Absolutely love it! My favourite sort of humour.

I love the German fashion guy (Bruno?) when he goes to New York fashion week. Laughing
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 3 Aug, 2004 10:12 pm
On free to air, or cable? (Which I do not, and shall not, have)
0 Replies

Adrian

Reply Tue 3 Aug, 2004 10:23 pm
On aunty. Each series is pretty short but, so you have to look out for them because, thankfully, they havn't been repeating them endlessly.

I think the new US series will probably be on here early next year.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Wed 4 Aug, 2004 06:21 am
for any one interested, who does not have access to the show, you can see clips of some of his shows on the internet... go to:

http://www.hbo.com/alig/
0 Replies

fremantle

Reply Wed 4 Aug, 2004 06:24 am
dlowan you have no right to call yourselg Australian if u diss Norman Gunston.....do you really remember any of his jokes...didn't think so...u have an irony deficiency
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Wed 4 Aug, 2004 06:43 am
Thanks for the link, Gala. Did he really address Harvard graduation? Was it staged or for real? Could you imagine the looks on the parents faces? Too funny!
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Wed 4 Aug, 2004 08:35 am
squnney, i didn't see the part about harvard... but on the page i posted there is a link to watch some clips of his episodes... too funny, i love the one when he plays ali g. and he's interviewing the guy about gangs and gang signals....

i know he graduated from Cambridge and was a theater major...
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 4 Aug, 2004 12:13 pm
fremantle wrote:
dlowan you have no right to call yourselg Australian if u diss Norman Gunston.....do you really remember any of his jokes...didn't think so...u have an irony deficiency

She said he was brilliant and was commenting that the character was deliberately pathetic.

The clearest deficiency herein is with your reading comprehension.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 4 Aug, 2004 03:51 pm
fremantle wrote:

Lol - I adored Norman Gunston, and thought, and think, him one of the best satirical creations I have ever seen. You might wish to try reading my post again - Macdonald deliberately and lovingly created the character of Gunston to be pathetic, bumbling and divinely stupid, or innocent, however you wish to look at it - for satirical effect.

But I would equally be able to call myself Australian if I had never understood a single joke of Gary's. To infer otherwise is mindless patriotic crap - which I find far more offensive than a lack of humour.

Just.

Edit: Lol - I note, as often, that Craven has said the same thing as I in far fewer words!
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 4 Aug, 2004 11:23 pm
dlowan wrote:
I do wish Craven would give us Newt Gingrich on women's rights......

Here ya go:

HBO Episode 3 (Politics)

[b]Ali G:[/b] "Inglewood in the 'ouse, Compton in the 'ouse, Langley Village in the 'ouse, aiiight? Young people see the word 'politics' and they immediately switch off. I wish I been told that before me got these fu[i][/i]cking massive letters built." [Walks over in front of the word "politics" that is taking up the whole set.] "So to bring politics into this, the 20th century me 'eaded down to Washington aaiight."

Next Ali G is interviewing Newt.

[b]Ali G:[/b] "N... " [b]Newt:[/b] "E... W... T" [b]Ali G:[/b] "T" [b]Newt:[/b] "Gingrich" [Ali G is laboriously writing down the name] [b]Ali G:[/b] ".. how does I spell that?" [b]Newt:[/b] "G... I... N" [b]Ali G:[/b] "M?" [b]Newt:[/b] "N... G" [b]Ali G:[/b] "G" [b]Newt:[/b] "R" [b]Ali G:[/b] "R" [b]Newt:[/b] "I" [b]Ali G:[/b] "I" [b]Newt:[/b] "C" [b]Ali G:[/b] "C" [b]Newt:[/b] "H" [Ali thinks...] [b]Ali G:[/b] "How does... how does I say that?" [b]Newt:[/b] "Gingrich" [b]Ali G:[/b] "Gingri.. alright.......... and hows I say the first name?" [b]Newt:[/b] "Newt" [Ali says some givverish then...] [b]Ali G:[/b] "I'm here with my main man, Newt Gingrich and 'im was the leader of the 'ouse of representatives. Is that right?" [b]Newt:[/b] "Yes" [b]Ali G:[/b] "Wot policies was you famous for introducing?" [b]Newt:[/b] "Well, probably the most famous was welfare reform, we had a system that paid people to do nothing." [b]Ali G:[/b] "So.. how long do you think people should get welfare?" [b]Newt:[/b] "We set a pretty firsm system that says you can be on the system for 4 years." [b]Ali G:[/b] "But ain't people just getting into it after 4 years?" [b]Newt:[/b] "Well.. most people, we think, should actually go to work." [b]Ali G:[/b] "Do you think people should get [i]more [/i]welfare the longer they is [i]on [/i]welfare?" [b]Newt:[/b] [pause] "No. .... We don't think that you earn... seniority on welfare." [b]Ali G:[/b] "But surely the longer you is on welfare it shows that you is got [i]commitment[/i]. I mean, you wouldn't like it if you was in a job and didn't get a pay raise." [b]Newt:[/b] [pause] "But.. but our goal is to get you [i]off [/i]of welfare, [i]not [/i]to make it more desireable for you to stay on welfare." ===== [b]Ali G:[/b] "Do you think dads should be forced to pay for their kids?" [b]Newt:[/b] "Yes. If you create the child, you oughtta have an obligation to help pay for the child." [b]Ali G (incredulous):[/b] "But even after its born?" [b]Newt:[/b] "Yeah, that's the whole point." [b]Ali G:[/b] "But if you is already paid for the meet.. I mean the popcorn, the chocolates, the movie whateva.. the last think you is want to be thinking about when you gettin' jiggy is 'how much is this gonna cost me?' makes the whole thing unromantic, in't it?" [b]Newt:[/b] "Well, if you are the kind of bum that will walk off and leave your kids the girl shouldn't be with you in the first place." [b]Ali G:[/b] "So does the Republican party think that... that homies should take their girlfriends up the buttie?" [b]Newt:[/b] [pause] "No.. I di.. I'm not.. look, some guy says to me 'all I want is fun for one night, then she has to spend the next 20 years raising the child..'" [b]Ali G:[/b] "..fo' real" [b]Newt:[/b] "... that strikes me as a pretty unfair bargain." ========= [b]Ali G:[/b] "Do you think a woman will ever be president?" [b]Newt:[/b] "Absolutely." [b]Ali G:[/b] "Ain't there a problem that if there is a woman president they's gonna spend all their time on facials, shopping and getting new shoes?" [b]Newt:[/b] [pause] "I think if you said that to most women who could be president you'd be surprised at how tough they are." [b]Ali G:[/b] "But ain't you worried that the 'ole cabinet would be like.. Brad Pitt on defense, and George Clooney on 'ealth, you know, cause 'im from E.R., and you know and youse just got like all these other good looking geezers and king dong in the back..." [b]Newt:[/b] "We've already been through it before. I mean, Margaret Thatcher was probably one of the three best prime ministers of the 20th century." [b]Ali G:[/b] "But wouldn't there be a danger that they'd like... fall in love with someone bad.. like Saddam Hussein?" [b]Newt:[/b] "No more than there is for a man." [b]Ali G:[/b] "Yeah, but women.. they love bastards.." [b]Newt:[/b] [interrupting and shaking head] "I don't have any... I..I just think that's a stereotype..." [b]Ali G:[/b] "No, but I know from me experience the [i]worse [/i]you treat them the [i]more [/i]they want you. I mean, 'e could be like doing bad things to the US all the time and she... it would just get her more and more 'orny..." [b]Newt:[/b] "I.. I don't think that kind of woman would get to be president.. any more than some guy whose easy to push around... people who get pushed around easily.... don't get to be president." [b]Ali G:[/b] "But ain't there the problem that if 'e declares [i]war [/i]she'll just start crying and everything?" [b]Newt:[/b] "The kind of woman that would rise to be president I think would be very comfortable saying 'If you really want to fight we'll do what it takes.'" [b]Ali G:[/b] "But. but not if she was in love.. with him." [b]Newt:[/b] "Well..." [b]Ali G:[/b] "Treat 'em rough, you get your muff. That's what they say on the streets...." [b]Newt:[/b] "I think.. I think.. I think whoever you dated is probably different from the type of people who get to be president of the United States." [b]Ali G:[/b] "So biggie up, you is 'eard from none other than my man, Newt Gingrich. Big up yourself... respect." [closes with a knuckle-to-knuckle handshake]
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 4 Aug, 2004 11:52 pm
Thank you!

Work place reacted with some concern to peals of laughter emanating from room - until they realised it was MY room, and then they shrugged it off......

That is classic - wonderful.

More!!!!!! Stamps feet.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Thu 5 Aug, 2004 05:44 am
craven, thanks for transcribing the newt interview...too funny.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2004 10:00 am
For those who missed "Throw the Jew Down the Well": http://homepage.mac.com/njenson/movies/cowboyband.html

(May require Quicktime)
0 Replies