Reply Mon 2 Aug, 2004 08:35 pm
Let me say that I am not a complete dumkopf re remodelling and construction, but neither am I a finish carpenter or joinery craftsman, er, woman.

Because, perhaps, I have art and other interests as well as regular building methodology in mind, I tend to look at objects in hardware stores as useful in various ways besides the expected. Alternately, I often am looking for an object that will serve such and such a function and look in multiple departments.

Well, voila, I have to announce that I have fallen upon a new tool for furniture refinishing, and perhaps other tasks, and I didn't get it from the hardware store. I got it from the third drawer down in my kitchen.

Turns out my stainless steel dough scraper that I use for making pizza and bread and cleaning up afterwards.... is just perfect for paint scraping, either for already flaky paint or from that softened by chemical means.

Mine happens to be by Graham Kerr. I know there are other brands out there. Beats my regular scraper, whose momentary loss precipitated my use of the dough scraper, quite easily.

Do you have any similar odd usages of tools?

PS, yes, I'll clean the dough scraper, and, yes, I'll get a new one for the pizza.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,418 • Replies: 2
No top replies

roger

Reply Mon 2 Aug, 2004 11:02 pm
Sure. You can always make a nifty pair of Mayan earings out of an old, hand powered, egg beater.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 2 Aug, 2004 11:44 pm
Oh, Roger, have you done that yourself?
0 Replies