Am I the Only One #2?

Reply Thu 16 Jan, 2003 02:59 am
I have a Great Aunty, who looks like she has stepped through a time zone into todays world. She has a big dyed black beehive, heavy blue eyeshadow, orange lipstick and wears clothes that have done the fashion rounds of the era. She drives a great big huge Vauxhill PA that has its original interior and colour. Everywhere she goes, she attracts attention. Its very entertaining to go for a ride with her.
She is mistaken for a drag queen, and can go to the Gay Bar where you usually have to pay a cover charge to get in - for free. They just love her!
She can also drink her way out of a fish bowl and has survived many drunken falls, to the suprise of many. Shes nearly 70.

Does anyone else have a family member who is a living legend, who dresses like Elvis because thats the only thing they know or has a James Dean still-wannabe at Granny and Grandpas place?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,707 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 16 Jan, 2003 06:02 am
I think that some people have an image of themselves as a young person, and continue with it into old age. In some cases, like with your great auntie, it CAN look bizarre.

Is her appearance her only abberation? Is she well grounded in 2003, or is she still living in the 1960s? Has she looked as you described thru the years, or has she recently started creating the image of the swinging 60s?

If her appearance is her only peculiarity, I say relax and enjoy it. Is she running her life in a reasonable fashion? If she is showing OTHER signs that might signal mental deterioration, I would see to it that she get a medical checkup.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 16 Jan, 2003 08:37 am
I think I might work with your great-aunt! lol

One of the women that works in my building is in her late 60's. Her faced is powdered pure white everyday and she wears bright read lipstick. It goes REALLY well with her pitch-black hair (in a beehive!). She wears mini-skirts, halter tops and 6" spike heels to work most days. YIKES!

She's a really nice woman but it's hilarious when people see her for the first time and you watch their jaw drop and then they start shaking their head in disbelief. She's become sort of a side-show. People take new customers up by her desk just to watch the reaction. lol
0 Replies

Sugar

Reply Thu 16 Jan, 2003 04:29 pm
I have 2 family members like that, my great aunt (70s) and her daughter (50s).

The both look like librarians out of the '50s. Always dressed in pantsuits, hair always done (older has a french twist, younger has a flip a la Emma Peel from The Avengers).

My great aunt always looks very prim and proper. And offers highballs at 11 am on a Wednesday (no kidding). Beware dirty looks and tsking for refusing a cocktail at any time of the day or night. She always speaks her mind and knows everyone's family gossip. I know more of my dad's family secrets than he does. aaahhh....Aunt Eleanor, what a lady. She has Alzheimers now and it really is a loss.

Her daughter, on the other hand, is very bright, but also in a time warp. She is allergic to everything - alcohol, perfume, grass, animals, air...you name it, it makes her sneeze. She's a sweetheart though. Light blue polyester, pursed lips, big hair...

Love those off-kilter relatives. They're much more fun than the ones in the burbs.
0 Replies

celticclover

Reply Fri 17 Jan, 2003 03:50 am
I love my Aunty, she has remained forever young, with wrinkles. Alot of women try and recapture youth with surgery, she cant afford it, so she does it with the clothes she wears. She loves the Bee Gees and is still in mourning over the fact that Maurice died.

She has personality plus, she has recently lost a brother and sister, and I believe that her attitude to life has kept her alive and kicking.
0 Replies