Should America accept Syrian refugees?

Wed 18 Nov, 2015 09:27 am
I feel bad because they are trying to escape terrorism but too many countries are afraid.

maxdancona

Wed 18 Nov, 2015 09:33 am
@johnmarson,
Land of the Free... Home of the Brave all that stuff...

Of course America should accept Syrian refugees. Cowardice has never been a good reason to avoid doing the right thing.
0 Replies

Ragman

Wed 18 Nov, 2015 10:39 am
@johnmarson,
Firstly, it must be said that they all need good coats.

If visas, passports and their documentation is vetted properly (however that can be done), I see it as risky but very important step for US to accept Syrian refugees. The problem lies where this process is fraught with problems and potential bottlenecks.

USA must learn from the historic mistakes FDR made in WWII, rejecting Jewish refugees and sending them to their certain deaths.
jespah

Wed 18 Nov, 2015 10:59 am
@Ragman,
Yep, that's how I see it.

In the interests of full disclosure, I have family who are descended from people who were rejected at the American border. Some went to Mexico. Others went back to Europe and yeah, some were killed there.

Vetting does not have to be perfect (it won't be. Anyone looking for a 100% safe process should also be searching for unicorns). Yes, a mistake might be made. And it's possible that it will be a horrible one. The only guarantee here is that shutting our borders or opening them will be an error, one way or the other. Opening our borders will, I believe, be less of an error.
maxdancona

Wed 18 Nov, 2015 11:19 am
@jespah,
Quote:
Yes, a mistake might be made. And it's possible that it will be a horrible one.

There is no real risk of letting these refugees in. People sometimes do horrible things whether they are American born, or foreign born. The risk of letting 1000 refugees in is equivalent to the risk of letting 1000 babies be born.

There is fear, and fear is part of human nature. It isn't rational fear. If we kept these refugees out, we wouldn't be actually reducing the risk of something bad happening in any significant way. It would just be cruelty to refugees for the sake of making some non-refugees feel better.

ossobuco

Wed 18 Nov, 2015 11:23 am
<agreeing completely with all so far>

I'll add that I think 1000 is low.
0 Replies

saab

Wed 18 Nov, 2015 11:47 am
The dangerous terrosist wont take the trouble of coming by foot or boats to Europe. They have well made false passports and arrive by plane to their distination.They have plenty of friends already in Europe and I think hardly any in USA.
Personally I think for us in Europe the greastest danger is within our own countries were young men and women from the ghettos turn their backs to our style of life.
The danger does not come from the refugees.
izzythepush

Thu 19 Nov, 2015 04:24 am
@saab,
saab wrote:

The dangerous terrosist wont take the trouble of coming by foot or boats to Europe. They have well made false passports and arrive by plane to their distination.

Quote:
Police in Honduras have arrested five Syrians who were travelling on stolen Greek passports and reportedly intended to enter the US by land.

The five were detained after arriving on a flight from neighbouring El Salvador on Tuesday night, police said.

Honduran special police force spokeman Anibal Baca, said they had been tipped off by Greece about the men's imminent arrival.

Greek diplomats in Honduras say none of the five speak Greek.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-34864193
saab

Thu 19 Nov, 2015 04:59 am
@izzythepush,
I read some place what false passports cost.
For 500 Euro you can get a Hungarian one but if you want one for USA it costs up to 20 ooo dollars.
Those five sure had some money either themselves or from an organisation.
Your guess is just as good as mine....
izzythepush

Thu 19 Nov, 2015 05:33 am
@saab,
One thing's for certain they're not part of the great mass of human misery travelling through the Balkans at the moment.
saab

Thu 19 Nov, 2015 06:19 am
@izzythepush,
Some are, but as a rule the ones with false passports take the easy way in.
You can with help of people in Scandinavia get a Scandinavian false passpor for around 2 - 3000 Euro and flighttickets from Athens to Oslo.
The Swedes are checking the borders and still hundreds get in without getting checked. So Sweden has hundreds of illigal people there and I am sure also on false passports.
Some want a Syrian passport as they know they will be accepted as refugees.
0 Replies

Lash

Sat 23 Jan, 2016 06:53 pm
This rather important issue follows refugees.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/01/11/opinions/mushaben-cologne-attacks/?iid=ob_article_footer_expansion&iref=obnetwork
0 Replies

roger

Sat 23 Jan, 2016 09:50 pm
@maxdancona,
A thousand? I don't know where that came from, but my answer is yes, qualified by a question about how many.
0 Replies

oralloy

Tue 19 Jul, 2016 06:23 pm

I was looking for a Syria war thread that wasn't about Putin, is this the only one???

US warplanes just killed at least 56 civilians, possibly hundreds, while attacking Islamic State.

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2016/07/led-air-strikes-kill-21-civilians-syria-160719045329897.html

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-36835671

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/20/world/middleeast/islamic-state-airstrikes-syria-civilian-casualties.html
0 Replies