No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 1 Aug, 2004 09:21 am
http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/nation/2711297

Forgot the link.
0 Replies

princesspupule

Reply Sun 1 Aug, 2004 12:10 pm
Crime is a bit strong, but I'd be willing to say it's unfortunate that these men are going. The devils advocate streak in me needs to point out that at least they had healthcare over there + a free funeral. I'm guessing that many who do go over are deluding themselves that this is some sort of grand adventure, a rekindling of their youth... + also a way to provide more benefits to family members left behind at home, possibly better than other options in their home town since many factory jobs have moved to 3rd world countries. Wouldn't most of them have some sort of preexisting condition by 50 that would excuse them from going over unless they really wanted to for whatever misguided reason made sense to them?
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sun 1 Aug, 2004 12:14 pm
princesspupule wrote:
at least they had healthcare over there + a free funeral. Wouldn't most of them have some sort of preexisting condition by 50 that would excuse them from going over unless they really wanted to for whatever misguided reason made sense to them?

I'm 55 and I'm in GREAT health...so no, a preexisting condition isn't a given....and I can't believe it..... free funeral and healthcare........how kind..... Rolling Eyes and when they can't serve heartily anymore...let's have a party for them and then put them on an ice flo and send them out to see.....
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 1 Aug, 2004 01:20 pm
and don't forget free cosmetic surgery including breast inhancement and liposuction now available to all military ranks.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sun 1 Aug, 2004 01:56 pm
It's a disgrace.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sun 1 Aug, 2004 02:24 pm
dyslexia wrote:
and don't forget free cosmetic surgery including breast inhancement and liposuction now available to all military ranks.

the asylum has truly been taken over by the inmates....
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 1 Aug, 2004 07:05 pm
Last week our local television interviewed two men who were being activated. One was seven years older than I, the other eight. I am turning 62. I am physically active, but I would tell them what to do with it if they came to me.
0 Replies

Thok

Reply Mon 2 Aug, 2004 12:05 am
Re: Older Soldiers in Iraq War
edgarblythe wrote:
I think it's a crime the way older people are being recalled for the bogus war. I think the bogus war is a crime, too, however. - edgarblythe

It is a crime.

But still: around age 50 is not really old ?
0 Replies

Wildflower63

Reply Mon 2 Aug, 2004 01:08 am
Please, correct me, if I have made an error with information. I am not a news freak.

From my understanding, there was no draft at all. Many people sign up with the reserves in order to get a college education. Being shipped off somewhere is a known risk, agree or disagree with the cause. They knowingly signed up. They should rightfully be utilized, if needed.

When we discuss older people that are sent to Iraq, understand that there are many career individuals that choose our military. No matter what age, they should not be exempt from duty. All of our armed service branches offer very adequate health care and do have standards or get the boot. You are not allowed to be overweight and stay in the military!!

I am a 40 year old RN. I am able to be drafted, if needed, with no choice at all, as all medically licensed people are. I have no problem at all with this. I may not agree with the cause, but I did choose my profession and all the negative things that go with it, which are much more threatening than being drafted, in my case. If I did not wish to take on legal risk or possibility of draft, if needed, then I should have chosen a different profession.

I am not stating that I agree with what has happened. I do agree with the cause of ending terrorism and taking a very strong stand. I have heard nothing to completely convince me exactly why Iraq was invaded at all, at this date. I see no valid reason for those who obligated themselves, knowingly, should not serve, agree or disagree. That is the risk you take!!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 2 Aug, 2004 04:43 am
I reiterate my position. They have no right to send older inactive reserves. Well, I guess they do, but they shouldn't have.
0 Replies

Jarlaxle

Reply Tue 3 Aug, 2004 06:10 am
Once again: they knew they could be recalled. If they didn't want to serve, they should not have joined the Reserves.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 3 Aug, 2004 06:12 am
An inactive reserve of that age is not what we ought to be sending into that situation. It's ridiculous to consider.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 3 Aug, 2004 12:47 pm
edgarblythe--

I agree with you that the older men should have been given an opportunity to opt out when the Pentagon changed the rules.

Granted the Iraqi climate with arid, scorching heat has undoubtedly contributed to some of the deaths, but all the same these guys could have keeled over at home.

I believe that women should not be barred from combat and I think the same freedom of choice is a right of the older reservists.
0 Replies

Karzak

Reply Tue 3 Aug, 2004 01:02 pm
Geez, what a bunch of whining over a non issue. How silly.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 3 Aug, 2004 05:06 pm
What's whining to one is voicing an objection to a wrong policy to others. If these guys were regular Army, I would be of the opinion that they volunteered for it. Different story for inactive reserves.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 3 Aug, 2004 06:07 pm
I'm with you, Edgar.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 3 Aug, 2004 07:56 pm
Noddy, we'll never be the fine sort of patriot that doesn't whine unless we get on the other side.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 4 Aug, 2004 11:17 am
Edgar--

I'm always amused by people who join a discussion only to dismiss the need for a discussion in the first place.

Me, I'm for open discussion, roosters and train whistles--also for good humor and courtesy.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 4 Aug, 2004 04:50 pm
I guess they want to kill it before it gets anywhere.
0 Replies