what should I do?

GeeMomo

Reply Tue 17 Nov, 2015 09:06 am
I am a student in English major. I decided to study this major because I think it is easy, but It is not what i expected. Most subjects are about Western Literature which I do not feel right.I think I should not be forced to.what should I do?

jespah

Reply Tue 17 Nov, 2015 09:36 am
@GeeMomo,
Don't select a major because you think it'll be easy (although it's nice when they are), select one because you enjoy the subject and have a passion for it and want to learn more about it/it will help open up future opportunities for you. This is whether those opportunities are for work or further study. This is why people study accounting, ancient Greek literature, organic chemistry, tax law, and more. Those aren't easy subjects for most people, even the ones who love it. But they have a passion for it and they want to put the time in, to learn those things.

College isn't meant to be a free ride. This does not mean that everything has to be a slog for it to be worthwhile, or that you're not learning anything if you're breezing through your studies (you could just be exceptionally talented in that subject). But please don't just check off boxes and get your degree in something you find easy.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Tue 17 Nov, 2015 10:16 am
@GeeMomo,
If you're choosing English as a major (as opposed to just studying the subject), you will get more course matter than just English literature. If your course is only English Literature, then perhaps you're not taking the right course. Do you have an student advisory person to help you figure this out? There should be English composition, English Lit, and English conversation to help become fully versed.

In USA college system, generally, you don't have to declare a major until sophomore year. When do you have to declare in your country? Are you sure that the scope of the course is only focus is on English Literature?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 17 Nov, 2015 08:56 pm
@GeeMomo,
What did you think you would be studying when you became an English major?
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 19 Nov, 2015 07:48 am
@GeeMomo,
If this is not what you like or expected, meet with a counselor at your university to find a major that fits your interests. If you are in your first couple of years at university then it should be pretty easy to switch. I changed majors in my sophomore year as I found I did not like the major I started with...this is very common as often time students do not realize all involved with a particular major until they get fully in loved in it.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 19 Nov, 2015 09:34 am
@Linkat,
I changed majors four times. That was a long time ago. I should have changed it fifth, to architecture with an art minor. I left off being an english major at one point because I couldn't tolerate all the analysis about some works I was bored by. Some friends thrived on it. All these years later I still read a great deal, but I my reading is a different kind of experience than was taught in my english classes back then.

I think one can still do that at some universities.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 20 Nov, 2015 04:07 am
Amazing--the literature of the English language is precisely what a concentration in English should require one to study.
farmerman

Reply Sun 22 Nov, 2015 09:04 pm
@Setanta,
used to be, all one needed to attain a degree equivalent in ENglish was a library card.
Now, all you need is wifi and a credit card
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 22 Nov, 2015 09:08 pm
@Setanta,
It doesn't count that I already know how to talk?
farmerman

Reply Mon 23 Nov, 2015 05:59 am
@roger,
Yes but can you charm the snake guarding" someone else's treasure"
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 23 Nov, 2015 05:58 pm
@GeeMomo,
What did you expect, Sanskrit lit in an English lit course?

I suggest you occupy the University president's office. Demand Malian and Chinese epics,
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 23 Nov, 2015 06:03 pm
@GeeMomo,
I'm sorry but the more I think about your question, the more I want to answer:

Quit. You are wasting your money and your professors' time. You can't be educated.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 23 Nov, 2015 08:01 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
I'm not sure if I agree or not, that it seems fruitless. I'll relook.

Is there some way you could be even nastier to a person who wants to learn?

0 Replies