What do some conservatives want?

Reply Sun 1 Aug, 2004 06:45 am
Just what, exactly, do you soome of you conservatives want?
Some of you do not acknowledge a difference of opinion
with democrats or liberals, but rather assert that they are hurting America, that they are un-American, anti- American, and even treasonous.

It seems to me quite clear that you do not believe one can be an American and a liberal too. So we are left with the impression that you do not recognize the Democratic Party as legitimate nor do you recognize liberals as real Americans. So where do you go from here? Your spokeswoman Ann Coulter calls liberals treasonous, a charge that carries the death penalty with it. Are you in agreement with her? What, exactly do you people want? A constitutional amendment creating one legitimate party? The Republican Party? Deportation of liberals? What?

You baffle me beyond belief with your endless jingoism, your self-serving flag waving, your zenophobia and your venom toward those with whom you disagree.

I believe some of your answers will be in the nature of "so's your old man" But no liberals are guilty of decrying the Republican Party as illigitimate and conservatives as worthy of the death penalty.
What is it you want?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 704 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Jim

Reply Sun 1 Aug, 2004 07:19 am
I'll start off with a cold beer and a ham and cheese sandwich, both unavailable here in Sandland.

Next I'd like some consensus on what percent of the GDP the government at all levels should be. We can then have respectfull debate on how to split up this percentage, but we all will agree it will go no higher.

While I'm dreaming, I'd also like some agreement that wealth first has to be created before it can be redistributed, and that the people who create wealth are not by definition villians.

Finally, how about a realization that while government can make sure that everyone is given opportunities in life, it is the responsibility of each individual to act upon those opportunites, and this might mean (gasp) hard work and sacrifice.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Sun 1 Aug, 2004 08:17 am
what jim said is the breadthof the gop. and since clinton, the distinctions between democrats and republican have been blurred.

however, the current administration is radical-- they appeal on the premise of fear and religious/christian judgement- anyone who speaks ill of the president is "unamerican" and has no moral values.

and that's just the surface of it--
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Sun 1 Aug, 2004 08:40 am
Jim wrote:
I'll start off with a cold beer and a ham and cheese sandwich, both unavailable here in Sandland.

Next I'd like some consensus on what percent of the GDP the government at all levels should be. We can then have respectfull debate on how to split up this percentage, but we all will agree it will go no higher.

While I'm dreaming, I'd also like some agreement that wealth first has to be created before it can be redistributed, and that the people who create wealth are not by definition villians.

Finally, how about a realization that while government can make sure that everyone is given opportunities in life, it is the responsibility of each individual to act upon those opportunites, and this might mean (gasp) hard work and sacrifice.

I for one admire your always calm, level-headed posts.

Your suggestions are a great place to start.
0 Replies

Jim

Reply Sun 1 Aug, 2004 08:57 am
Thank you kindly, PDiddie.

I always enjoy reading your posts too.
0 Replies

Harper

Reply Sun 1 Aug, 2004 09:20 am
Jim wrote:

Then I guess you are a big supporter of Barack Obama.
0 Replies

Jim

Reply Sun 1 Aug, 2004 09:22 am
Harper - regrettably I know next to nothing about Mr. Obama. However, from what I've heard of the Democratic Convention, I'm sure he will be in the news frequently for many years to come.
0 Replies

Fedral

Reply Mon 2 Aug, 2004 10:36 am
Re: What do some conservatives want?
BillyFalcon wrote:
Just what, exactly, do you soome of you conservatives want?

Probably similar things that you liberals want...
A decent job, a chance qat happiness and a safe place to raise our children.

BillyFalcon wrote:
Some of you do not acknowledge a difference of opinion with democrats or liberals, but rather assert that they are hurting America, that they are un-American, anti- American, and even treasonous.

Most conservatives do NOT assert that liberals/Democrats are treasonous or un/anti American. We DO however feel that we have the solution to certain problems within our country (Just as the liberal/Dem's seem to believe)

BillyFalcon wrote:
It seems to me quite clear that you do not believe one can be an American and a liberal too.

Patently false and somewhat juvenile to tar every conservative with that brush.

BillyFalcon wrote:
So we are left with the impression that you do not recognize the Democratic Party as legitimate nor do you recognize liberals as real Americans.

Incredibly silly assertion, but I will answer to it thusly...
Conservatives/Republicans and Liberals/Democrats are the two sides of the American coin. One side or the other is always on top and yet one must remember that the people on the underside of the coin are also Americans and, more importantly, are NOT the enemy.

BillyFalcon wrote:
So where do you go from here? Your spokeswoman Ann Coulter calls liberals treasonous, a charge that carries the death penalty with it. Are you in agreement with her?

Ann Coulter is as much a spokesman for the conservatives/Republicans as Michael Moore is a spokesmen for the liberal/Democrats. They are both rabid propagandists from the far fringes of their party's more reasonable positions. She calls liberals treasonous, and Mr. Moore uses similar verbiage to describe those on the right...
Both are ridiculous in their own way and shouldn't be taken seriously by either side that truly seeks consensus.

BillyFalcon wrote:
What, exactly do you people want? A constitutional amendment creating one legitimate party? The Republican Party? Deportation of liberals? What?

Come now, try reading this again and see if it doesn't end up sounding like a petulant 7 year old.

BillyFalcon wrote:
You baffle me beyond belief with your endless jingoism, your self-serving flag waving, your zenophobia and your venom toward those with whom you disagree.

And you baffle us beyond belief with your endless self loathing, flag burning, America is the evil Empire. And as to VENOM...
Try all the hate and bile spit upon the President by the ABB (Anybody But Bush crowd) or should we look at when John Ashcroft had an operation and many here were wishing painful death upon him on this very board...
As to any xenophobia...
When all the people who took over the airliners and crashed them into buildings killing thousands of innocent people were of the same background...
When people of that background across the globe are celebrating that event...
When the planner of that event was of that very background...
And the people who protect that person are also of the same background...
Thats NOT xenophobia, that is just accurately establishing your target.

BillyFalcon wrote:
I believe some of your answers will be in the nature of "so's your old man"

Similar to your 'deportation of Liberals' comment perhaps?

BillyFalcon wrote:
But no liberals are guilty of decrying the Republican Party as illigitimate and conservatives as worthy of the death penalty.
What is it you want?

Do you read or listen to ANYTHING that is being said by the left? The vitriol and hate being directed at this Administration is so intense that it is unprecedented in modern times. We Republicans didn't hate Johnson as much as the left seems to hate President Bush (And we REALLY hated Johnson.)

Hope this helps clear things up a little.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 2 Aug, 2004 10:40 am
Quote:
Do you read or listen to ANYTHING that is being said by the left? The vitriol and hate being directed at this Administration is so intense that it is unprecedented in modern times.

Left, right, it's all the same when it comes to vitriol these days. Just look how they went after Clinton.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Karzak

Reply Mon 2 Aug, 2004 02:02 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Quote:
Do you read or listen to ANYTHING that is being said by the left? The vitriol and hate being directed at this Administration is so intense that it is unprecedented in modern times.

Left, right, it's all the same when it comes to vitriol these days. Just look how they went after Clinton.

Cycloptichorn

ROTFLMAO, Clinton made his own problems, the guy was stupid as hell, who in their right mind would diddle a white house intern while serving as president. Who smokes pot but doesn't inhale. Who kills ron brown. Who married hillary.

Clinton has to be the stupidest president ever, style over substance.
0 Replies