Cheney, almost everyone's Vice-President

Reply Sat 31 Jul, 2004 10:38 am
Quote:

Quote:

Republicans said the rally will be a thank you to supporters and, like anyone giving a private celebration, the political party can limit the guest list to its friends. The petition for the temporary restraining order argued that requiring an endorsement as a prerequisite to attending the rally at a public school violates constitutional protections of free speech and freedom of assembly. Because they suspected they'd see more Democrats, the Bush campaign decided to draft a form for anyone to sign before getting a ticket. The form reads: "In signing the above endorsement you are consenting to use and release of your name by Bush-Cheney as an endorser of President Bush."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,009 • Replies: 8
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 31 Jul, 2004 10:48 am
constitutional protections? That applies only to elected officials, doesn't it?
0 Replies

Justthefax

Reply Sat 31 Jul, 2004 10:57 am
I See nothing wrong with a group allowing only supporters to attend events like this. If the event is sponsored by a school or non-political organization that sponsor may impose their requirements of attendance.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sat 31 Jul, 2004 11:02 am
I disagree. If they want to have a party for their supporters they need to rent a private hall in a hotel or the like, not use taxpayer funded property and then exclude a group of taxpayers.

I agree that they're within their rights to have a party for their supporters, just not in a taxpayer funded facility.
0 Replies

Justthefax

Reply Sat 31 Jul, 2004 11:11 am
I do not know the full story. However private parties can be held in public places. If the group was renting the place.
0 Replies

the reincarnation of suzy

Reply Sat 31 Jul, 2004 04:18 pm
Positively bizarre!
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 31 Jul, 2004 04:34 pm
The last time Bill Clinton and later Hillary Clinton were in town (Albuquerque) I was not welcome there either. This is normal procedure for 'closed gatherings'.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 31 Jul, 2004 05:27 pm
it doesn't make good image, be it republican or democrat.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 31 Jul, 2004 06:05 pm
hmmmmm, and i was just thinking 'what a brilliant opportunity'.
sign up - and then write a letter to the editor (and everyone else you can think of) "when i went in, i was a signed-on republican supporter. now that i've seen the fella, i'm signing-out". what fun!
0 Replies