Coworkers reacting badly if your comments are always off

Angel23

Reply Thu 12 Nov, 2015 02:53 pm
Every other comments they make is off, sometimes profoundly. Usually it's during small talk. Would coworkers usually shun that person? Complain to management about not wanting to work with that person?
1. Getting off topic without realizing
2. Making irrelevant comments in conversations or adding irrelevant details when answering questions
3. Making false statement demonstrating lack of common knowledge or common sense
4. Making true statement that are already obvious to everyone
5. Always misunderstanding what others are saying
6. Being unable to make yourself clear
7. Finally, telling ppl everything in a small talk like a little kid (e.g. Mom got mad at dad)
I'm talking about adults who converse that way. Children up to 10 or 11 who do so are actually within the normal range. Thoughts?
The said person is also loud half the time but not rude, unless unintentional. I'm still guilty of all 7 errors listed above.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,189 • Replies: 2
No top replies

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 12 Nov, 2015 03:06 pm
@Angel23,
Quote:
Would coworkers usually shun that person? Complain to management about not wanting to work with that person?

These are some very petty coworkers. I don't envy you regarding where you work.

Quote:

1. Getting off topic without realizing
2. Making irrelevant comments in conversations or adding irrelevant details when answering questions

Nothing wrong with that. I think this keeps life interesting. #really

Quote:
3. Making false statement demonstrating lack of common knowledge or common sense

This kind of pride can be a nasty and counterproductive thing. It's a sign of immaturity where one has to fabricate knowledge to impress others. It's impossible to know everything. No one is omniscient. Even Stephen Hawking.

Quote:
4. Making true statement that are already obvious to everyone

Never project and/or assume what people know or don't know.

Quote:
5. Always misunderstanding what others are saying
6. Being unable to make yourself clear

Sadly, I fall in this camp.

Quote:
7. Finally, telling ppl everything in a small talk like a little kid (e.g. Mom got mad at dad)

I'm not sure I understand this one. Do you mean someone who constantly is condescending towards others in the way he or she talks down to them?

Quote:
The said person is also loud half the time but not rude, unless unintentional. I'm still guilty of all 7 errors listed above.

At least you acknowledge the fact that you have these social faults. The hard part is addressing these issues in real time when they're happening.
Angel23

Reply Thu 12 Nov, 2015 03:25 pm
@tsarstepan,
By making false statements, I mean that I make them bc I think they're true. It's not pride, but simply bc I didn't know any better. Kinda like when the little girl at the mall said, "nurses are girls and doctors are boys." Hence, demonstrating lack of common sense or common knowledge, which, at her age, is perfectly acceptable. Do that as an adult and u make an ass of urself.

As for telling ppl EVERYTHING like a child would, well. Kids under elementary school age tend to tell ppl every detail, especially of family life. As a cashier, I asked a lady a name for her order. She just said, "put Jean." Her kid proceeded to tell me his mom's full name.

And by irrelevant comments and off topic, I mean to the extreme. At the mall, a little boy told the cashier as his mom was checking out, "it's gonna be my birthday!"
Cashier: really? How old would u be?
Boy: five, because I'm 4 already.
An adult who goes, "30, bc I'm currently 29" would be weird.
0 Replies