Taste - not exactly great

navajas

Reply Thu 12 Nov, 2015 11:16 am
While I don't make a habit of eating either of these non-foods, I do remember them from childhood, and asparagus definitely brings to mind the tastes of earwax and common dirt. Other people seem to really like asparagus. Am I cooking it wrong, or perhaps do they just enjoy the taste of earwax much more than I do?

jespah

Reply Thu 12 Nov, 2015 12:01 pm
@navajas,
You're allowed to not like something.

Be that as it may, it's entirely possible you're not doing it justice with how you're cooking it. Steaming can be good. I also like to toss it with some sesame oil (just a little; don't drown it) and then shove it under the broiler until it's soft, usually a little brown on the outside. Very nice with some red pepper flakes added after cooking.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 12 Nov, 2015 12:11 pm
@navajas,
how are you preparing asparagus?
farmerman

Reply Thu 12 Nov, 2015 01:21 pm
@ehBeth,
yeh, dont overcook spragus. It should still be somewhat erect qhen cooked for a few minutes. Then cool it down and dip into a nive bernaise or vinegar tarragon butter.
Having never eaten earwax, I cant draw a comparison
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 12 Nov, 2015 01:21 pm
@ehBeth,
yeh, dont overcook spragus. It should still be somewhat erect qhen cooked for a few minutes. Then cool it down and dip into a nive bernaise or vinegar tarragon butter.
Having never eaten earwax, I cant draw a comparison
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Thu 12 Nov, 2015 02:13 pm
@navajas,
navajas wrote:
I do remember them from childhood, and asparagus definitely brings to mind the tastes of earwax and common dirt. ... Am I cooking it wrong, or perhaps do they just enjoy the taste of earwax much more than I do?

How are you cooking the earwax?
djjd62

Reply Thu 12 Nov, 2015 02:16 pm
@maxdancona,
what sort of savage cooks ear wax, ear wax is best served at room temperature spread on small toasts of sourdough bread, on can garnish with capers if it seems absolutely necessary
maxdancona

Reply Thu 12 Nov, 2015 02:28 pm
@djjd62,
Nonsense, earwax is best shaped by hand into balls, battered with cornmeal and then deep fried, served with mayonnaise and slaw,
0 Replies