Of all your five senses, which one is your weakest?

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2011 10:18 am
Okay, a brief and UNSCIENTIFIC survey:
Of all your five senses, which one is your weakest?
1. Hearing;
2. Sight;
3. Smell;
4. Taste;
5. Touch;
6. What about my sixth sense?
7. I am a ghost and I have limited or no active senses to interact with the real world.

(Note: Isn't it odd that hearing as a noun to describe this particular sense has the -ing suffix where the others need not...?)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 11 • Views: 4,880 • Replies: 15
No top replies

djjd62

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2011 10:25 am
@tsarstepan,
having recently acquired glasses for distance vision, i guess i'll say sight
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2011 11:17 am
@tsarstepan,
The only logical answer to this is to decide which one you could possibly do without, and that must be smell (with some effect on taste).
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2011 12:08 pm
@tsarstepan,
My word memory. At age 82, after being in severe pain for four years before my knee surgery, I've discovered that my ability to find the word I'm trying to say is improved some what after my surgery. Now that I'm able to do more physician things I sense some improvement. Exercise is a wonderful thing and I hope I can be a blather mouth again. I've noticed that my spelling correctness is getting less accurate. When I look at some of the writing that I wrote up to about five years ago, I wonder why I don't write as well as I once did. Is it just my age or was it the severe pain I had for so long. I forget. Wink Confused

BBB
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2011 12:49 pm
Mine is sight.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 15 Oct, 2011 02:36 pm
@Butrflynet,
I have anosmia, so, smell.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sat 15 Oct, 2011 02:43 pm
@tsarstepan,
1. Hearing: moderately effected (or affected?) by tinnitus.
2. Sight: my vision is notably getting worse with age.
3. Smell: never had a keen sense of smell.
4. Taste: fine enough though I'd never try to convince others I can detect suble notes and hints of flavors in gourmet coffee or fine wines.

I will inanely state hearing for my answer.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sat 15 Oct, 2011 11:43 pm
My vision is terrible. Without my glasses, I see nothing but a blur.

My taste was affected by radiation. Not sharp, but I still know good when I taste it.

My hearing was once acute. Now it's not.

If I had to pick, I'd say vision. Helpless.
Rockhead

Reply Sat 15 Oct, 2011 11:56 pm
@Roberta,
some days my eyes are bad. some days worse than that.

I would trade for losing taste if I could, as I can't eat anything that tastes good anyway...
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Sun 16 Oct, 2011 12:43 am
I'm myopic - my eyes are -600 (as in what a person with 20/2o vision can stand 600 feet away and see clearly, I have to stand 20 feet away to see it as clearly.
If I didn't have glasses I'd be disabled. Even with glasses - my night vision is pretty bad - last night I was coming down a hill at dusk and I had to really concentrate to keep from falling and breaking my ankle.

But they've been that way since I was seven - no better no worse - I'm used to it and just happy I live in a time when they can be corrected to 20/20 without alot of fuss.

My other senses are very acute - hearing, smell, taste, touch.

My sight is my weakest and the one I would most hate to lose. I'm an extremely visual person.
0 Replies

wayne

Reply Sun 16 Oct, 2011 06:54 am
At 51, I can definitely tell that all of my senses have become weaker with age, however, I cannot say that any particular sense has become noticeably weaker than another.
I would say that I am generally more aware of the weakening of my vision, because I rely so heavily upon sight.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sat 12 Oct, 2013 03:30 pm
ossobuco

Reply Sat 12 Oct, 2013 05:31 pm
I didn't mention back then, but aside from my university tested miserable sense of smell, and presumed lack of taste (but I've got some good alternative, probably on the small percentage of smell left and maybe some other role of taste buds, which is a good thing as I need to cook to eat, cooking about all my own food except for coming up with produce or meat or similar. Also, messed up eyes, annotated on a2k. Have been needing hearing aids since 2002, couldn't afford them, am ok'd for them at UNM and can get them by virtue of medicaid. Will report, as I figure at this late date, they'll take getting use to and I'll be crabby. Crabbier. Have had tinnitus since 1986. Touch, so far so good, is as in fabulous.

Of all these, I'm a visual cue person first. Vision beyond precious, but I've visual storage in my brain, much as a person who became deaf later in life does, of music.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sat 12 Oct, 2013 05:51 pm
@tsarstepan,
As evidenced by that video, I'd have to say hearing, although I already knew that.

Although I know I must have some kind of hearing deficit, why I consider my hearing weak (considering I have to live in the world) is that there are a lot of things that could, if I couldn't get away from it, or silence it, literally drive me insane.

The music on that video for instance. I had to put it on mute, then out of curiosity, I unmuted it and randomly fast fowarded a few times.

Do people, anyone really enjoy that noise?

I consider most music really nerve rattling, including stuff that's supposed to be soothing. When I do choose to listen to anything, it's for a limited time, like 4 songs max, ususally less, like 1 and a half, before I need to do something else.

However, noises that apparantly bother others don't get to me at all, like if there are workmen nearby, either on the street or in a building. I know they are just doing their job, so why would that bother me? I don't get why someone else in the office or room with me says "OMG, that hammering!" I'm apt to not even register it until someone says something.

So yeah.....hearing.

I think I'd be absolutely content if I were deaf, as long as I could read lips and knew sign language.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 12 Oct, 2013 06:30 pm
@chai2,
My aunt started to learn brail (god I loved her, she was actually my uncle's sassy new wife in the thirties) and I tried to figure it out but was completely confused, this back when I thought I'd be losing my vision speedily, from available med center information, that affecting many of my decisions. She, then, way sharper than me on it.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2021 11:27 pm
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Of all your five senses, which one is your weakest?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/17/2024 at 09:01:14