Taste, Refrigerator pickles vs canning method

Brh11

Reply Sun 9 Jul, 2023 02:06 pm
I made refrigerator pickles for the first time, let them sit for 3 days before tasting. Was not impressed with flavors marrying together. My question is
with refrigerator pickles am I going to get the herbs and spices I’m using to really
To come thru in the actual pickle? Is there a limit to using that method of
Final taste I can get versus doing the whole canning process ? I appreciate any input given. Thank you
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 254 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Mame

Reply Sun 9 Jul, 2023 03:13 pm
@Brh11,
Did you use a recipe? When I do something for the first time, I go to Youtube and watch several videos. Right now I'm learning how to smoke brisket, for example. I always watch several and note the similarities and differences and then decide which one I'll use.

Can't help you with the pickles as I've never made them, although I have made pickled asparagus. I didn't can them so I guess you can call them refrigerator pickled asparagus.

Maybe you need to use more herbs for a stronger flavour?
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Sun 9 Jul, 2023 06:33 pm
@Brh11,
I don't think it can be done. They'll always taste like refrigerator pickles. Have you ever checked out naturally-fermented pickles? You can make a small batch in a few days. And they taste like pickles. Here's an easy recipe.

I've also had luck with the ones you make in a brine-filled crock or barrel and leave in the cellar for months. You can add garlic and herbs but all the ingredients need to be kept submerged in the brine.
0 Replies