Who's familiar with the conversion? - "In 15 years' ship-time they could reach Andromeda

layman

Reply Tue 24 Nov, 2015 10:06 am
@maxdancona,
Have an answer to the question, Max?
0 Replies

layman

Reply Tue 24 Nov, 2015 10:10 am
@maxdancona,
Quote:
LET and SR are equivalent theories because they always give the same answer under any conditions

OK, let's go with that, for now. I'll come back to it, later

Quote:
That is why the scientific community accepts it as the correct theory

You just contradicted your own definition of a "correct theory."
You said:
Quote:
A theory is correct if and only if it can make predictions that are confirmed by experiment that no other theory can make

1. First you say SR is "correct" ONLY IF it makes predictions that no other theory can make
2. Then you say LR makes the same prediction that SR does.
3. Then you say "That is why the scientific community accepts it as the correct theory."

What's up with that?
0 Replies

parados

Reply Tue 24 Nov, 2015 10:13 am
@layman,
So I should read the article and know what is right and what is wrong based on reading your mind? What a bunch of nonsense on your part. You linked the article and didn't state which parts where right and which parts were wrong. You then said I needed to read the article and comprehend it. It seems you want me to read the article and discard the parts you think are wrong. That isn't a reading comprehension problem on my part. That is ass-holery on your part.

Quote:

Even though this author later tries to surreptiously suggest that LET and LR are the same thing, his own words expose his fallacious tactic. LET is NOT LR
What the **** is LR? There is no mention of LR anywhere in what you posted. I don't think I have a reading comprehension problem. You have a problem in making **** up and then complaining when people don't know what the hell you are talking about. This post is another example of your being full of ****.

Still waiting for you to apologize for attacking my reading comprehension problem. It seems you want me to NOT comprehend when I read certain parts that you think are wrong. Pure ass-holery from you.
parados

Reply Tue 24 Nov, 2015 10:16 am
@layman,
Quote:

1. I posted his words in response to a SPECIFIC claim by Max, and I made that clear. Max claimed that "test theories" are designed for, and can be used for, ONLY one purpose, and that the "one" purpose could NOT call SR into question. He was quite wrong about that.

No. You posted words in response to MY post. So you are arguing that you didn't read and comprehend my post? OK. I think I can agree that. You have a rather large lack of reading comprehension. I think that is something we can both agree on.
maxdancona

Reply Tue 24 Nov, 2015 10:17 am
@parados,
That's right Parados.

I would like to hear Layman's explanation of the results of the the atomic clock experiment (Hafele-Keating) based on his idea of whatever he means by LR.
maxdancona

Reply Tue 24 Nov, 2015 10:19 am
@parados,
Quote:
Still waiting for you to apologize for attacking my reading comprehension problem. It seems you want me to NOT comprehend when I read certain parts that you think are wrong. Pure ass-holery from you.

Sometimes I wonder if Layman and Izzythepush are the same person.
0 Replies

layman

Reply Tue 24 Nov, 2015 10:21 am
@parados,
Quote:
There is no mention of LR anywhere in what you posted.

Try reading my posts.
0 Replies

layman

Reply Tue 24 Nov, 2015 10:23 am
@parados,
Quote:
you posted words in response to MY post

Right, try reading (and understanding) my response, fool.
parados

Reply Tue 24 Nov, 2015 10:26 am
@layman,
Your post makes no sense in light of the links you posted and your recent claims about that post. You are guilty of ass-holery in that you expect me to know what you think is false in the links you posted while accusing me of lacking reading comprehension.
layman

Reply Tue 24 Nov, 2015 10:27 am
@maxdancona,
Quote:
I would like to hear Layman's explanation of the results of the the atomic clock experiment (Hafele-Keating) based on his idea of whatever he means by LR.

And I'll be happy to give it to you, Max. In due time. Let's just take one thing at a time. You just keep changing the subject. You still refuse to answer the very simple question I've repeatedly posed.

Give me your (SR's) answer to that question, so we can establish a basis for proceeding.
0 Replies

layman

Reply Tue 24 Nov, 2015 10:30 am
@parados,
Quote:
Your post makes no sense...

Not to you, no. You can't seem to understand the simplest thing. Look, Parry, I'm not going to spend page after page quibbling with you about one word in one post. I'm interested in discussing the topic.

Care to answer the simple question I've asked about the dragster going 200 mph?
0 Replies

parados

Reply Tue 24 Nov, 2015 10:46 am
@layman,
Let me make this clear for you.
You posted a link that said LET was the Lorenzo Ether Theory. The link also included an explanation of how LET included an immobile ether. I stated the difference between LET and SR was that LET had an immobile ether and asked if you had evidence of that ether. It was a simple question. Your answer was this...

Quote:
No, not in the least. "Neo-lorentzian" relativity or, more generally, theories of relative motion which posit absolute simultaneity, don't require an ether of any kind. Nor do they depend on any "absolutely" motionless point--much less the detection of such a point.

Is new-lorentzian relativity the same thing as LET? If not then you ignored my statement and have a reading comprehension problem. If they are NOT the same thing then why do you keep using LET in your posts?

Do you think the Lorentzian Ether Theory includes an immobile ether? Yes or no?
layman

Reply Tue 24 Nov, 2015 10:47 am
@parados,
Quote:
What the **** is LR? There is no mention of LR anywhere in what you posted

Yeah, right:

Quote:
What I will, for brevity, call LR (lorentzian relativity) is NOT a "special case" of SR

http://able2know.org/topic/301703-14#post-6074331
0 Replies

layman

Reply Tue 24 Nov, 2015 10:54 am
@parados,
Quote:
Do you think the Lorentzian Ether Theory includes an immobile ether? Yes or no?

Yes, I do, as I have said.

Quote:
Is new-lorentzian relativity the same thing as LET?

Hell no, as I have repeatedly said. Here again, I just completely waste my time when responding to you. You either don't read or can't understand anything I say.

Quote:
You posted a link that said LET was the Lorenzo Ether Theory. The link also included an explanation of how LET included an immobile ether

I quoted one or two sentences from that misleading, poorly-written article. I did not vouch for everything said in the link, nor would I EVER do that. If you want to know what *I* said, then quote me. Don't say that I said what some other guy said.
parados

Reply Tue 24 Nov, 2015 11:15 am
@layman,
So your response to me was simply nonsense. I don't have the reading comprehension problem. You do. Your response had nothing to do with my question. OK. Thanks for the ass-holery.
parados

Reply Tue 24 Nov, 2015 11:18 am
@layman,
Quote:

I quoted one or two sentences from that misleading, poorly-written article. I did not vouch for everything said in the link, nor would I EVER do that.

You are arguing we should ignore any links you post because you have not read them and can't say if they support your opinion or not and you will later argue you don't agree with much of what was said.

Ass-holery on your part again.
0 Replies

layman

Reply Tue 24 Nov, 2015 11:24 am
@parados,
Quote:
So your response to me was simply nonsense

Here, I will repost EXACTLY the same post I made to you many pages back:

Quote:
What I did say (specifically to YOU a few posts back) was this:

"Neo-lorentzian" relativity or, more generally, theories of relative motion which posit absolute simultaneity, don't require an ether of any kind. Nor do they depend on any "absolutely" motionless point--much less the detection of such a point.

I was not talking about LET then, or at any other point in this thread, get it?

"Absolute simultaneity" is, naturally, "nonsense" to you, because you have no idea what it means or why that concept is essential to discussing LR vs SR. Likewise "theories of relative motion" means nothing to you.

It's ALL nonsense to you, because you don't have the sense it takes to understand it. I'm not trying to "insult" you. I'm just stating the only conclusion that can be drawn from what you've said and the way you have carried on here.
maxdancona

Reply Tue 24 Nov, 2015 12:14 pm
@layman,
Quote:
Suppose this dragster is participating in a 20 mile race down a straight track with a big crowd lining the whole route.

The dragster has a top end of 200 mph. As long as he has enough gas, he can maintain that speed, but he can't exceed it, get the idea? After he hits top end he just "cruises" along at 200 mph.

Would he now (while cruising) be correct, if he claims he's not moving wrt the crowd (the earth's surface)?

Is this the question you want me to answer?

The answer is 'No'. You are specifying a frame of reference and within that frame of reference the math is pretty simple. 0 is not equal to 200 mph. And I could suggest a number of experiments that could be done and measurements that could be made to confirm this answer. An crowd member with a stop watch watching the car pass two marks on the road would be just one experiment.

Of course, in a different frame of reference the values would be different. Using Layman's phrasing, we can pick the racecar frame of reference. I believe that even Layman will agree that the driver is perfectly correct if he claims he's not moving "wrt" the racecar. If he realizes that the crowd is moving "wrt" the racecar than he has taken the first step to understanding relativity.

Tell me if I answered the wrong question. (I have answered quite a few of your questions now).
layman

Reply Tue 24 Nov, 2015 12:30 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
Is this the question you want me to answer?

Yeah, that's it.

In response, you say this:

Quote:
The answer is 'No'. You are specifying a frame of reference and within that frame of reference the math is pretty simple. 0 is not equal to 200 mph. (Of course, in a different frame of reference the values would be different). And I could suggest a number of experiments that could be done and measurements that could be made to confirm this answer. An crowd member with a stop watch watching the car pass two marks on the road would be just one experiment.

That's all very wordy and confusing. But let's just start with your answer, which is "no."

So, are you saying, then, that if I'm the guy in the dragster (I'm in HIS "frame of reference"), and I say that "I'm not the one moving relative to the crowed, the crowd is moving relative to me, while I remain motionless," then I would be WRONG?

Is that what you are saying? That I (the driver) would be WRONG?
maxdancona

Reply Tue 24 Nov, 2015 12:49 pm
@layman,
Quote:
So, are you saying, then, that if I'm the guy in the dragster (I'm in HIS "frame of reference"), and I say that "I'm not the one moving relative to the crowed, the crowd is moving relative to me, while I remain motionless," then I would be WRONG?

Do you agree that in this case?

1) The driver is not moving wrt the race car.
2) The crowd is moving wrt the race car.

I don't believe that you would be wrong to say either of these two things. Now change the the word "wrt" (which is your word) to the phrase "relative to" (which is phrase you seem to be having trouble with) and maybe you finally understand.

If you don't agree that the driver is not moving wrt the race car... then we have another problem (and our poor driver has one hell of a problem). Again, I can propose an experiment to measure any one of these claims.