Sticking up for Holy Rollers (I want you here)

Reply Sat 7 Nov, 2015 08:05 pm
Someone started a quite abusive thread, to many up-thumbs and support from the in-crowd, attacking people he labels "holy-rollers". Apparently people he calls this are religious in a way of which he doesn't approve. But, instead of just letting it be and moving on, he has to be quite offensive towards them.

He calls the "f*** idiots" and says (in a way reminiscent of a middle school bullying against the unpopular kids) that "no one wants you here".

I am here to say... Holy rollers (and anyone else with different opinions whether I agree with you or not) I want you here.

What makes Able2know great is that it is a free space (with few very reasonable restrictions). People are free here to discuss diverse opinions... and anyone can choose to agree or disagree or to engage or to ignore.

So, I am standing up to the bullying behavior of some here. If you have an unpopular opinion, or a different opinion .. whether I agree with you or not... I want you to express it here. I may choose not to respond (if it doesn't interest me) and I certainly may disagree with you... but I will never suggest that you don't belong here.

I don't like personal attacks. It is legitimate to attack ideas or actions... but you can do this without attack a person (or calling them "f***ing idiots).

And I really don't like the idea that some people think that they have the right to shut other people out of this space. If you want a closed community that only includes people who you feel are worthy, there is Facebook for that where you can literally block out people with whom you disagree.

Either this is a free space that welcomes diverse opinions and supports free speech, or this is a closed group where diverse opinions are attacked. I choose to support free expression and diversity in opinions.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,231 • Replies: 2
No top replies

FBM

Reply Sat 7 Nov, 2015 08:39 pm
@maxdancona,
Did the OP of the other thread name specific names when he was calling them names?
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 7 Nov, 2015 09:11 pm
@maxdancona,
Does this go under the theory separate but equal.... controversy is now to have ONE of the tens of thousands (hundreds of thousands) of threads here to work in? **** that. I will continue to work in A2K at large, and will continue to confront bullies where I find them, will continue to confront the closed minded where I find them, will continue to confront the uncivil where I find them, will continue to confront the free speech haters where I find them.

Nobody puts Hawkeye10 in the corner.

I suggest that all right minded A2K'ers follow my lead, make a stand for what is right, dont let the assholes steal your voice.
0 Replies