Reply Thu 29 Jul, 2004 09:55 pm
Remember what happened the last time a Democrat co-opted Republican issues?

What Kerry's speech tonight revealed is that the Democrats are very serious about winning in November, and that they know that they cannot win as Liberals.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,521 • Replies: 41
No top replies

Sofia

Reply Thu 29 Jul, 2004 10:18 pm
Just glad Ross Perot isn't around to make it happen.

Don't sweat. The same indies who are pondering tonight will be watching the GOP. Kerry and company won't get away with pretending to be Republicans. He's got too long a record as the most liberal lawmaker--and HIS VOTES and HIS WORDS (previous to campaign) will be shouted from the rafters, in stereophonic sensaround.

Will the real John Kerry please stand up...please stand up...please stand up...
0 Replies

the reincarnation of suzy

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2004 07:16 am
He did stand up.
He addressed the issues of the day in a Liberal fashion. Didn't sound republicanized to me. What republican issues? You obviously have placed the liberal "agenda" in too narrow a niche.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2004 07:21 am
Hey, the Republicans are getting worried, eh - or at least defensive? Interesting ... I'd consider that a hopeful sign! ;-)
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2004 07:41 am
:-)
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2004 07:55 am
Cognitive dissonance is an ugly thing...
0 Replies

doglover

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2004 08:08 am
Kerry's speech was pretty terrific. When he said "I hope I am on God's side rather than have God be on my side" really put the issue of religion in Bush's lap. Mr. Green

Kerry also brought home the point that he will be a uniter and not a divider like Bush is....that there is strength in unity.

Heh, come November, the American voters are going to tell Bush and Cheney to 'shove it'. Cool Razz
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2004 08:20 am
Talk is cheap.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2004 08:24 am
based on the deficit spending of the current administration, talk is NOT cheap! do they think they are liberal democrats (chatty kathys with someone elses VISA card run amok?
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2004 08:26 am
America can dig out of deficits, it's not the most important thing to vote on.
0 Replies

doglover

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2004 08:32 am
Brand X wrote:

Sure on the backs and wallets of our children. Rolling Eyes
Play today pay tomorrow should be the GOP's tag line.

BTW...what color is the sky in your world Brand X?
0 Replies

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2004 08:33 am
Smile
What is?
Let me guess...
The Bush-created war on terrorism?
0 Replies

revel

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2004 08:34 am
I am going to go out on a limb here and admit that I was a little uncomfortable with the guy right before Kerry talking about the Bible and stuff and Kerry talking about religion so much last night.

I am a christian but I do believe that religion should remain out of politics no matter who is using it. I understand why he is, but I don't approve.

Having said that, on the whole, his speech about the domestic issues were what impressed me the most and they are what count in the end. I also think he will be good in fighting terrorism and cleaning up the mess in Iraq. So all in all I was pleasantly impressed with his speech.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2004 08:37 am
When the right starts posting threads like Finns here it's a sign.

Creating the "He got in by depending to be a republican excuse"...planting the thought, getting it started to refer to it later as a convenient excuse for losing the election while maintaining the high ground. In their minds anyway.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2004 08:38 am
dyslexia wrote:
based on the deficit spending of the current administration, talk is NOT cheap! do they think they are liberal democrats (chatty kathys with someone elses VISA card run amok?

That's not fair. During President Bush's administration, there have been expenses, some of them emergency expenses, which other recent presidents did not have. 9/11 brought increased awareness of the danger to the country from terrorism, which required major improvements to the way the government responds to terrorism, such as increased security connected with flying and the creation of a Department of Homeland Security. Most people believe that the war against Afghanistan, and the subsequent reconstruction and support of the new government there were necessary. According to Bush's beliefs, mine, and those of millions of people, the war against Iraq was necessary to protect the US, and that cost money. Whether you agree with the reasoning leading to the war against Iraq or not, given that he and others believed it was required for America's defense, then the expenditures connected with it were also necessary.

President Bush has served during a period when large new needs and concomitant expenses arose suddenly. I would imagine that something similar happened after Pearl Harbor. To simply blame him for deficit spending, without taking into account the cause, is illogical and unfair.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2004 08:41 am
the reincarnation of suzy wrote:
Smile
What is?
Let me guess...
The Bush-created war on terrorism?

Bush-created? We were struck first mind you. :wink:
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2004 08:42 am
doglover wrote:
Brand X wrote:

Sure on the backs and wallets of our children. Rolling Eyes
Play today pay tomorrow should be the GOP's tag line.

BTW...what color is the sky in your world Brand X?

I said it isn't the most important issue to vote on, don't try an twist it into another meaning. I don't like debt either.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2004 08:45 am
Brandon9000 wrote:
dyslexia wrote:

That's not fair. During President Bush's administration, there have been expenses, some of them emergency expenses, which other recent presidents did not have. 9/11 brought increased awareness of the danger to the country from terrorism, which required major improvements to the way the government responds to terrorism, such as increased security connected with flying and the creation of a Department of Homeland Security. Most people believe that the war against Afghanistan, and the subsequent reconstruction and support of the new government there were necessary. According to Bush's beliefs, mine, and those of millions of people, the war against Iraq was necessary to protect the US, and that cost money. Whether you agree with the reasoning leading to the war against Iraq or not, given that he and others believed it was required for America's defense, then the expenditures connected with it were also necessary.

President Bush has served during a period when large new needs and concomitant expenses arose suddenly. I would imagine that something similar happened after Pearl Harbor. To simply blame him for deficit spending, without taking into account the cause, is illogical and unfair.

Your post has some legs Brandon IF[/B it can be shown that the lion's share of this spending has been for the purposes you state.

I personally would consider the War in Iraq an unrelated unecessary expense and I'm willing to bet it's the biggest expense the administration has put on our backs, dwarfing the amount of money that's been spent on the ground on American soil for protective measures to be implemented.

So your statement, although reasonable to any reasonsable person, falls apart when you look at where the money was spent, IMO.

I'm sure someone here on these boards can supply a breakdown in spending and links to document it. It would be interesting to see.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2004 08:50 am
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
I'm sure someone here on these boards can supply a breakdown in spending and links to document it. It would be interesting to see.

Given that a president is faced with serious and necessary expenses, he cannot be blamed for spending money. But it would, indeed, be interesting to see a budget and determine how much money was spent on security and defense related costs as opposed to waste, and how such waste compared with previous administrations.
0 Replies

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2004 08:54 am
Waste? What costs more than a protracted war we didn't have to fight?
0 Replies