Sexism today

Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2015 01:46 pm
I am working on a project for a class of mine that deals with gender role stereotyping and how these stereotypes are reinforced and portrayed through children's fairy tales and movies. I will be shortly starting a re-write of Cinderella where the main male and female roles are reversed. Any thoughts on this topic?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 4,089 • Replies: 40
No top replies

chai2

Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2015 02:06 pm
@softie15,
Interesting.

Not joking, Jerry Lewis did a movie called "Cinderfella" where he was the put upon step son.

Thinking about it, it seems a lot of fairy tales with women being the poor captured maiden kind of turns into a naughty joke when reverses.

Take Rapunzel, or Snow White and the 7 Dwarfs.

Rapunzel had long thick hair to hang out of a tower. What would the male counterpart have? And what would be more ribald than an ousted prince waking up amongst 7 woodland sprites?
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2015 02:44 pm
@softie15,
Hopefully you will look at this in a balanced way... look at how negative stereotypes of men are reinforced as well as negative stereotypes of women. For example is still very difficult for men to be seen as good parents, these stereotypes hurt fathers. The trendy thing now is to emphasize positive traits of women and negative traits of men. This would disappointing in any educational exercise about gender stereotypes.

As far as Cinderella, please resist the temptation to feminize the male characters. That would defeat the purpose off the story.

Cinderella, the hero of the story, should be masculine, rugged and handsome. The Godfather (who gives the hero of the story his fancy suit) should also be masculine, nurturing and magical (men rarely get to be magical in these stories)

In the original Cinderella, the prince has always been given short shrift. He never came across as a noble or strong character, he is often portrayed as vain buffoon. I think this would be an interesting character to see portrayed with traditionally female traits.
maxdancona

Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2015 02:54 pm
@maxdancona,
I am having too much fun thinking about writing a male Cinderella... I could write this story myself.
0 Replies

softie15

Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2015 08:44 pm
@chai2
"Cinderfella" huh? I've not heard of that.

@maxdancona
I am trying my best. But I've found that completely changing a character from male to female without making feminine men and masculine women is harder than I had anticipated.
chai2

Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2015 09:00 pm
@softie15,
Seriously?

You couldn't have the cinder character working in the stables, or in the fields, or as a blacksmith?

If set in current times, it's well known that step children can be the subject of abuse by the step parent.

The female couldn't be a prosperous business owner?

0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2015 09:01 pm
@softie15,
Quote:
But I've found that completely changing a character from male to female without making feminine men and masculine women is harder than I had anticipated.

Creativity is fun, and these types of assignments allow for creativity. Of course, it is going to come from you, so don't stress too much... each person will develop the characters differently. Hopefully you can have fun.

I like the idea of a magical Godfather (to replace the fairy Godmother). I am a single man raising a daughter who is with me a little more than half of the time. One of the things that has always bugged me is the idea that fathers aren't nurturing parents (and I run into this from time to time). This is why a masculine magical character who is nurturing to a male Cinderella is especially interesting to me.
softie15

Reply Fri 6 Nov, 2015 01:42 pm
@maxdancona,
I really like the idea of the nurturing Godfather as well. I've changed the ballroom scene to one with a tournament. Sort of like in the movie Brave. Unlike in Brave, a winner will actually be picked. It's flowing better so far, and I really like it. I'm afraid that I am playing too much into the stereotypical "masculine" scene though. Archery, forging, strength, a few others of the like.
maxdancona

Reply Fri 6 Nov, 2015 01:57 pm
@softie15,
There are men who enjoy dancing.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Fri 6 Nov, 2015 03:41 pm
@softie15,
Have you seen the new Supergirl show yet?

It is an interesting take on the Superman theme. One of the themes is teamwork; Supergirl is critical of Superman's go it alone, macho shtick and vows to do things differently. I suppose this is a gender difference...

It is taking on feminist themes with a bit of a humorous tone. Supergirl has a amusing dialog with another character about why she has to have girl in her title where Superman gets to be a man.

All in all, I am enjoying the show.
0 Replies

momoends

Reply Sun 29 May, 2016 04:20 am
@maxdancona,
being the hero 8heroin) in this case has nothing to do with being masculine o rugged... being strong and tough doesn´t mean you are masculine at all
a nurturing men is something i´ve been privileged enough to enjoy my whole life and he was not feminine at all.
0 Replies

momoends

Reply Sun 29 May, 2016 04:28 am
@maxdancona,
it has always saddened me to hear that: men being cold and careless with their children.. that´s another shitty thing about machism and sexism stereotypes... the way my brother in law look at their twins is priceless: pure adoration... imagining him in his family being considered less of a man for being that devoted to his kids just makes me sick
maxdancona

Reply Sun 29 May, 2016 09:39 pm
@momoends,
Thank you momoends... although you might be missing the point

I am saying that men are considered less devoted for their kids because they are men. You are saying that they are considered less manly for being devoted to their kids.

These two statements are not the same thing. Society will judge, based only on gender, that a man is less devoted to his kids than a woman is.

In the US is that when there is a divorce, the mother is usually assumed to be the custodial parent. It is still often difficult for the father to get custody, or shared custody of his children. Courts still give precedence to the mother in most cases.

momoends

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2016 02:23 am
@maxdancona,
go to a pediatrician´s waiting room and count how many waiting there with their children are women and how many are men. Gather information about who asks for a day out to stay at home with the kids when they get ill. Get to talk to different companies human resources employees to know who tends to sacrifices getting a better job to be at home more often... and then ask me again about how difficult it is for the father to get custody
momoends

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2016 02:25 am
@maxdancona,
masculine??? so it´s masculine to be strong, honorable and brave? awesome man..... machismo strikes again
maxdancona

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2016 08:01 am
@momoends,
You really don't like the idea of equality, do you Momends. Your argument doesn't even make sense.

Let's change your argument just a bit

a misogynist version of momends wrote:
go to a corporate board room and count how many meeting there are men. Gather information about who asks for a day at work without the kids. Get to talk to different companies human resources employees to know who tends to sacrifice time to be at home more often for a better job and then ask me again about how difficult it is for the woman to get an executive position.

You and I will both agree that this second slightly altered quote is incredibly sexist.

How is it different than your original quote?

Equality mean equality. If you are really in favor of equality, then you will want equality when it comes to raising children as much as when it comes to working.

Custody means that a parent takes the primary responsibility for providing for and caring for a child. Parents who have custody spend time in pediatricians offices and sacrifice work for being home more office.

That's what custody is. That's what many men want. You yourself point out the evidence that men don't have equality when it comes to parenting.

0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2016 08:02 am
@momoends,
This is a strawman argument Momoends. I expect better.
momoends

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2016 08:54 am
@maxdancona,
honey you are so hard headed that you get to understand everything wrong.... read again the comment... cause I did expect better from you too
maxdancona

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2016 08:58 am
@momoends,
Please don't call me "honey". You don't know me.
maxdancona

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2016 09:00 am
@momoends,
The comment seems pretty clear to me... but maybe I don't understand it.

Please femsplain it to me (we machisto men don't understand stuff too well).