CNN: Palin is the victim of sexism. Do you agree?

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 05:34 am

Quote:

I have had enough of the sexist treatment of Sarah Palin. ...

Tonight I call on the McCain campaign to stop treating Sarah Palin like she is a delicate flower that will wilt at any moment...

This woman is from Alaska from crying out loud. She is strong. She is tough. She is competent. And you claim she is ready to be one heart beat away form the presidency.

If that is the case, then end this chauvinistic treatment of her now. Allow her to show her stuff. Allow her to face down those pesky reporters. Let her have a real news conference with real questions.

By treating Sarah Palin different from the other candidates in this race, you are not showing her the respect she deserves. Free Sarah Palin. Free her from the chauvinistic chain you are binding her with.

Sexism in this campaign must come to an end. Sarah Palin has just as much a right to be a real candidate in this race as the men do. So let her act like one.

(transcript via DailyKos)

It is clear there is a real frustration in the press because they aren't allowed to cover the story. This is an interesting take on that issue.

sozobe

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 05:39 am
@ebrown p,
Oooh, I like it!

And thanks so much for the transcript, my heart sinks every time I see a video these days.

Excellent point, I agree.

(And I'm SO happy about this development with the press -- long overdue IMO but better late than never. Ta-Nehisi Coates):

Quote:
It's clear that the McCain campaign has basically decided on using the Bush playbook for handling the press. But I think the campaign made one critical error. The whole bully/lie/clamp-up method of handling reporters works swimmingly if you're already in power. Not so much if you're still trying to get power.

http://ta-nehisicoates.theatlantic.com/archives/2008/09/flailing.php
Cliff Hanger

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 05:42 am
@ebrown p,
Interesting. I like what this woman is saying except she's leaving out a key component-- Sarah Palin may be competant(loose interpretation), but she is completely green around the gills when it comes to all issues concerning running the country. They're shielding her because they think, in all their hubris, that no one will notice her being blocked from the press.

Yet another example of the arrogance of the Republicans. It'll back fire.
farmerman

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 05:50 am
@Cliff Hanger,
Theres no underestimating the intelligence of the electorate. The GOP has adopted shameless media tricks and one line lies so well that, Im afraid, the public is buying it. Rather than being outraged at the incompetent blunderings of the last 8 years and the hootzpah of the same party claiming that it is an agent of change, yad think that people would be lauhing their asses off and sweep[ing Obama into the White House.
No, it appears that the cult of the Palin "fresh face" attitude and the reacreation of "feminism" in a mor GOP light has caused nearly half the nation to buy this crap. I hope some of them come to before the election. Id hate another 4 years of nail biting and dumass moves and collective stupidity.
Cliff Hanger

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 06:20 am
@farmerman,
Yes, yes. Especially to the dumass/nail biting part. But, I'd like to think of the dumbed down electorate as growing weary of the downward spiral.

Then again, I'm daydreaming.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 06:37 am
@ebrown p,
Yes, Palin is the victim, and the beneficiary of, sexism.
sozobe

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 06:46 am
@Eorl,
(Good to see ya, Eorl.)
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 07:54 am
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:
Quote:
It's clear that the McCain campaign has basically decided on using the Bush playbook for handling the press. But I think the campaign made one critical error. The whole bully/lie/clamp-up method of handling reporters works swimmingly if you're already in power. Not so much if you're still trying to get power.

http://ta-nehisicoates.theatlantic.com/archives/2008/09/flailing.php

It's important to note that this is probably how they'll deal with the press if they win the election. (The best predictor of future behavior is past behavior.)

Personally, I'm kinda sick of staged press conferences, limited press access, retribution against reporters, etc.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 10:31 am
@farmerman,
I agree with your assessment; the polls proves your point. The McCain/Palin ticket still enjoys the numbers that doesn't reflect in any way the obvious censorship and lies being perpetrated against the electorate. It's a sham so obvious, we have become the laughing stock of the world. Only the conservatives seem to enjoy this "strategy." They just succeed in making themselves look dumber and dumber with each days passing.

I'm afraid America is half dumbasses, and what we get is what we earned.
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 03:39 pm
@ebrown p,
my critical observation about CNN and the unknown lady who adorns your title is this.
CNN had never taken a pain to project other unknown candidates who are still there.
That is why I wish not to waste my energy and time to project CNN.
Regarding the lady I wish her all the success and her kith and kin friends and foes.
But if i were equipted with her qualification heritage, culture
I would have uphold another lady who is the sexy symbol and that lady is not an aspiratnt to sit and chat but she is exposing or opposing A dem( Perlosi or Perulski ).
I prefer this kind of sexy lady ( lost her son in Iraq war) than the vexy sexy mixy taxis.
Ramafuchs

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 04:22 pm
@Ramafuchs,
I had failed to end the above response with the following sentense.

Are we not polluting, degrading this A2K forum with those commercial comrades in CNN?
Ramafuchs

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2008 09:50 pm
@Ramafuchs,
Lipstick on pigs and sex ed for tots, yes.
Real solutions for real problems, no.
These sorts of distractions play to the McCain camp’s advantage. Just as the invasion of Iraq proved to be a smoke screen that allowed the Bush administration to dismantle so many social, economic, and environmental advances at home, silly news about lipstick on pigs just obscures the dire situation this country is in. We need to figure out a future where we are dramatically less dependent on oil. We need to fix our country’s social and physical infrastructure. We need to get out of a no-end war that was a horrible mistake to begin with. And we need to become the strong and admired citizen of the world we once were. The McCain-Palin platform of fewer earmarks, more domestic drilling, an endless war, and the cute Tina Fey thing just isn’t going to cut it. Please don’t make Christopher Buckley’s job any harder.
http://www.vanityfair.com/magazine/2008/11/graydon200811
0 Replies