Sharpton....Good To Have

Reply Thu 29 Jul, 2004 04:46 am
While the "Key Players" who represent the Kerry/Edwards A team stay positive, put on the white hat (no pun intended) and deliver a hopeful message that does not involve slamming the bush administration directly and negatively, Al Sharpton comes out and deviates from his speech, ad libs and gives bush hell, much to the great delight of the delegates at the convention.

Because Sharpton did not garner any real substantive support in his Presidential bid he is rightly or wrongly, not considered a major player and therefore his comments and rhetoric do not rub off on the major players and can't hurt them. They are able to remain the "positive" good guys.

But boy he gets the point across doesn't he? It's nice to have someone to say the things that need saying without transferring the heat to the actual candidates. Sort of like a sharp trial lawyer getting his point across while instructing the jury to disregard the remarks.

Damn good politics wouldn't you say?

Of course looking at it that way sort of elevates Sharptons role and importance huh? Let's keep it to ourselves. We don't want anyone to catch on.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 737 • Replies: 13
No top replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 29 Jul, 2004 05:44 am
I confess to having enjoyed Sharpton. His views certainly weren't modified just because the Republicans paid his hotel bills.

Politics makes strange bedfellows.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Thu 29 Jul, 2004 07:34 am
Noddy24 wrote:
His views certainly weren't modified just because the Republicans paid his hotel bills.

Say wha?
0 Replies

the reincarnation of suzy

Reply Thu 29 Jul, 2004 08:05 am
Good points, BP.
I especially liked his line about riding that donkey as far as it will take us. very clever!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 29 Jul, 2004 09:13 am
Eoe--

A good bit of Sharpton's fund-raising was underwritten by the GOP.

http://www.villagevoice.com/issues/0405/barrett.php
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Thu 29 Jul, 2004 12:17 pm
Shocked
Will wonders never cease?
0 Replies

revel

Reply Thu 29 Jul, 2004 12:58 pm
I didn't know that either, I wonder what they got out of it? Or hoped to?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 29 Jul, 2004 01:16 pm
Aw, sorry I missed it.

Have a transcript link? (What he actually said, ad libs and all...)
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Thu 29 Jul, 2004 01:17 pm
Sounds like Sharpton was being inserted in place to separate the African-American democratic vote. What did he say last night? "Our vote cannot be bought"?
Well now I'm pissed.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 29 Jul, 2004 04:49 pm
Remember, the Republicans are also giving aid and support to Nader's campaign. Divide and conquer? Probably.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Thu 29 Jul, 2004 04:55 pm
I never read that about Mr. Nader but suspected it. I swear, it seems there's just no going into politics without selling your soul to the devil.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 29 Jul, 2004 05:04 pm
Eoe--

Shame on you! GWB is a Born Again and God Almighty whispers in his ear on a regular basis!
0 Replies

theollady

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2004 05:15 pm
Noddy, you got a BOLD NEW AVATAR, to go with the Brave New World.

I like it Very Happy
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2004 06:03 pm
theollady--

Thanks for the kind words. As I've confessed on other threads, the cropping and pasting is due to my son. I'm capable of turning on the computer and pressing the basic buttons.
0 Replies