BOYAKASHA!

Grand Duke

Reply Sun 19 Sep, 2004 04:13 am
InfraBlue - sometimes I wonder why more of his interviewees don't realise it's a piss-take sooner?
0 Replies

carrie

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2004 08:04 am
Did anyone see Richard Madely from This Morning doing his cracking impression of Ali G. He was really winding Judy up, it was funny that he did it so well.

I love Ali G, and I think that sometimes people misinterpret what he is trying to do. It's very clever when you think about it, and he's a very talented man.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2004 08:17 pm
You can see some psychological goings-on as well in Cohen. Playing Borat the anti-Semitic Kazakh, it's obvious he's dealing with a persecution complex.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2004 08:34 pm
Are you f'n kidding me? The guy's a comedian.

Good job psycho-analyzing him from watching is comedy show. You're brilliant.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2004 08:45 pm
Comedians have psychological complexes too. That's why they're comedians, to a large extent.
0 Replies

carrie

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 02:52 am
I agree - the really outstanding comedians have a very very good in depth understanding of real life, and have to know their audiences, or in this case, the type of people he interviews, or the characters he is being.

yes he is a comedian, but would it be as funny if he wasn't so good at pinning down certain characteristics and stereotypes, and pulling up peoples insecurities, tapping into their personalities?
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 09:38 pm
I don't think it would be as funny, carrie. A lot of his comedy comes off as off the cuff, but he and his writers put a lot of thought into the material, really honing it. This is revealed on the Da Ali G Show DVD's, in the bonus material commentaries.

I mean, even in the show introduction, they thought that Cohen's ass wasn't b-boy enough, so they used a model with a more b-boy physique for the ass shot.
0 Replies

carrie

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 03:13 am
I can imagine it takes a lot of work, as a slip up in the wrong direction could be disasterous in some cases. He has to stay totally in a convincing, believable character and do the situations justice, otherwise there's no point.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 03:22 am
We just ordered the DVD. In an interview with Howard Stern, Cohen went into depth about how much work goes into his characters and his material.
0 Replies

carrie

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 04:18 am
I'll have to get a copy I think, not enough of it is shown on T.V. over here.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 11:24 am
I have it..good stuff.
0 Replies