Is Bush's star fading?

au1929

Reply Wed 15 Jan, 2003 10:25 am
Running Fast Into the Past

By MAUREEN DOWD

George W. Bush designed his entire political career and presidency to make sure he would never face this moment.
The moment where he would pick up USA Today one morning midway through his term and read that his stratospheric approval numbers were dropping because more and more people think he is out of touch with average Americans.
Is Bush's star beginning to fade?

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/01/15/opinion/15DOWD.html?todaysheadlines
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,530 • Replies: 25
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 15 Jan, 2003 10:32 am
Gawd I hope so.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 15 Jan, 2003 01:54 pm
Or nova.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 15 Jan, 2003 01:57 pm
black hole?
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Wed 15 Jan, 2003 02:02 pm
Quick, where can we bomb?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 15 Jan, 2003 02:03 pm
I suspect there's already been a black hole at the center of his "star." George Bush, Superstar?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 15 Jan, 2003 06:10 pm
I never thought I would have so much dislike for a President. Or fear of.
0 Replies

mamajuana

Reply Wed 15 Jan, 2003 10:28 pm
And this seems so personal - throughout the world. George Bush seems one of the most unrespected presidents we've had - except he wasn't elected president.

Most polls show a steady drop, month by month.

Is he aware of this? Or do they keep him so insulated he thinks he's still up there?
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Wed 15 Jan, 2003 11:23 pm
And he isn't looking to good either he seems weary and haggered to me. His outburst yesterday on the budge was over the top.
0 Replies

babsatamelia

Reply Wed 15 Jan, 2003 11:39 pm
I believe that whatever "polital star status" Bush
had going for him, has now gone forever. I
think he bought the election - but the public
who DID vote for him, had no idea what kind of
person was in the White House - now that we
ALL are getting this really BAD taste in our mouths,
and Bush keeps looking more and more stupid -
and more corrupt, and more like a war mongering
idiot - who WANTS that war so bad it's pitiful
but John Q Public is beginning to see the whys
and wherefores and Bush's popularity - whatever
he once may have had, although I do not remember
him having ANY, except for abuot 2 weeks prior
to the last election. And even then - it seemed like
a created stunt - with which the broadcasting
companies had the news announce, so it would not
look like a TOTAL rape of the American people &
our "process of election" - fading away swiftly into
antiquity.
0 Replies

williamhenry3

Reply Thu 16 Jan, 2003 12:46 am
I have never thought Dubya was the brightest star in the heavens. His administration does not seem to know in which direction it wants to go. The American people don't like indecisiveness, especially from a president who wasn't elected by them but appointed by the Supreme Court.

Now join me in singing, "My Heart Belongs to Daddy."
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Thu 16 Jan, 2003 08:18 am
Actually, shrub's approval ratings are about average for a President this far into his first term. You want to find someone whose popularity really fell, look at Carter's slide from first to last, or LBJ's fall from the heavens.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 16 Jan, 2003 08:18 am
In my opinion. Even thought his star is fading I believe it has not fallen to the point where he could not, were an election held now, defeat any of the present democrats seeking that office.
0 Replies

Lash Goth

Reply Thu 16 Jan, 2003 08:56 am
His poll numbers have dropped.
He has set a record on the highest ratings for any sitting president. (Per reported polls on TV news.) He swayed the mid-term elections with the sheer force of his popularity. (Opinion on TV news.)

Not bad.
Now, he's evening out down with all the others before him. But on the high end, even so...

You'd think, with all the negative press, he'd be much lower. (My opinion.)
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Thu 16 Jan, 2003 11:00 am
Negative press, get real - if they reported the truth this guy would be run from office!

He'll just drop bombs when he needs to spike polls, the most evil man ever to be in power - outdoes Genghis Khan
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 16 Jan, 2003 01:03 pm
We will know Bush is weak in the polls when the press goes negative on him. Thus far they report his every word with straight faces.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Thu 16 Jan, 2003 01:04 pm
He showed his true colors yesterday! Time for some more bombs to get the rating up!
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Thu 16 Jan, 2003 01:38 pm
BillW,

Hyperbole to the max. Bush is the most evil man ever, more evil than Genghis Khan? I'm not sure that Genghis Khan was evil at all, but he certainly put some hurt on Eastern Europe. Bush outdoes Hitler, Stalin and Pol Pott?

The media is hiding the TRUTH? What truth is it that they are hiding? Has the Shrub somehow imposed censorship over the press while I was sleeping? It seems to me that most of howling is coming from a relatively small segment of society. The far left and those who favor appeasement and peace-at-any-price certainly make their biases known. I think the truth is that Bush couldn't do anything that wouldn't be criticized by those who are more critical of America than they are of those who pray for our destruction.

If you have criticisms, you will be more effective in persuading me of the rightness of your cause, if you will tone down your rhetoric. America is not the Evil Empire led by a tiny bloodthirsty and greedy elite. We are a nation of widely differing views and opinions. The government does reflect the desires of the People, not all the people but the overwhelming majority of the People. The People may be wrong, but they are always in control of the government. That's why we have a flood of people waiting to live here, and only a pitiful few who willingly choose to live in Iraq, or North Korea, or Cuba, or Vietnam, and the list goes on, and on.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Thu 16 Jan, 2003 01:40 pm
Asherman, am not trying to persuade you - I can tell your mind is set!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 16 Jan, 2003 05:58 pm
Not everyone opposing Bush is guilty of appeasement or wanting peace at any price, though there is that element among some of the people. Many of us simply see no justifiable reason to attack Iraq. The ones like myself would support him if he were fighting the terrorists who attacked on 9/11 or the sort who bombed the federal building in OK City. I see it as serving some private end he has never made public and which we may never truly know. And that is why so much wild speculation - lack of inside information. Getting Bin Laden - Go for it. But, turning a Republican argument against a Republican, we cannot be the world policeman.
0 Replies