Networks Pull Plug on Teresa's Speech

swolf

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2004 01:52 am
http://www.newsmax.com/archives/ic/2004/7/27/101535.shtml

Jul 27, 2004
NewsMax

Quote:

The three major broadcast networks have pulled the plug on tonight's Democratic convention speech by Teresa Heinz Kerry - just two days after she went off the deep end by telling a report to "shove it" as TV cameras rolled.

ABC, NBC and CBS have decided to draw the curtain on Teresa's big night, canceling live coverage of tonight's proceedings altogether, as fears mount among Democrats that Heinz Kerry, a loose cannon who either bores audiences with her slow, monotonous drone or shocks them by talking about her Botox injections and other indelicate topics, will say something inappropriate.

Political campaign consultants tend to fear personalities like hers, notes USA Today, because they throw the campaign off-message.

That's exactly what happened Sunday night, when Teresa's "shove it" outburst took the spotlight away from her husband's trip to Fenway Park to throw out the first pitch.

And despite much-ballyhooed speeches Monday night by both Bill and Hillary Clinton, the most talked-about moment of the convention so far continues to be Teresa's temper tantrum.

"I don't think this is the time for quirky," said Terry Madonna, a political analyst at Franklin & Marshall College in Lancaster, Pa., noting that while Heinz Kerry will still speak, she will read from a prepared text under strict instructions not to ad-lib.

Still, the pro-Kerry editors at the networks are playing it safe, just in case Teresa's temper flares again.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 881 • Replies: 15
No top replies

coming

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2004 06:39 am
Just my point
The long rally ends when all the bads and ugly points of the candidates are sanitised. The president is God!
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2004 08:18 am
PBS, MSNBC, VOOM satellite and all the morning news show gave Teresa a lot of time including key elements of her speech. Grasping at straws the blind slip back into the darkness.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2004 08:57 am
Her complete speech was broadcast on NPR, she did not lack for media outlets. The networks said before hand they were going to limit live coverage.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2004 09:19 am
What the hell are news stations good for if not reporting on the news? It's not like she told someone to f off.
0 Replies

princesspupule

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2004 11:38 am
Your article doesn't prove that's the reason the major networks didn't cover the convention live. It could just as easily be that a nation who tunes in to such gems as *Trading Spouses* and *Amazing Race* aren't interested in real news. Rolling Eyes Show me something from one of the networks explaining why they didn't go with convention coverage last night, ok? Then we'll have some meat to chew on.
0 Replies

swolf

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2004 03:13 pm
princesspupule wrote:
Your article doesn't prove that's the reason the major networks didn't cover the convention live.

Maybe, but, the networks other than Fox being leftwing in their political orieintation, you have to assume that.
0 Replies

flyboy804

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2004 03:26 pm
Before the convention started, ABC, CBS, and NBC announced that they would only broadcast one hour of prime time convention activity on three nights for both the democratic and republican conventions. One of the four nights would go uncovered.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2004 03:28 pm
swolf wrote:
princesspupule wrote:
Your article doesn't prove that's the reason the major networks didn't cover the convention live.

Maybe, but, the networks other than Fox being leftwing in their political orieintation, you have to assume that.

So, eh, Fox covered it then, did it? I mean - if the reason the networks didnt broadcast it live was because, being liberal media, they wanted to protect Kerry, then Fox, not being liberal, would be different, no, and broadcast it?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2004 03:46 pm
HD Net covered the entire thing. She was horribly boring. And what's with the accent? One would expect an american catsup baroness to speak like an american.
0 Replies

coming

Reply Sat 31 Jul, 2004 07:08 am
Out of the ordinary is plain Jane
cjhsa, you cannot expect someone as rich as that to sound like an ordinary American. That is the good thing about America, the $ speaks.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 31 Jul, 2004 08:17 am
Xenophobia abounds. It's taken the place of racism.

As far as accents, that Laura Bush Texas drawl spouting out all those librarian platitudes is equally boring.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 2 Aug, 2004 09:52 am
Call it xenophobia if you will, but I don't like the eurotrash who favor the U.N. over the U.S.
0 Replies

Redheat

Reply Mon 2 Aug, 2004 01:30 pm
cjhsa wrote:
HD Net covered the entire thing. She was horribly boring. And what's with the accent? One would expect an american catsup baroness to speak like an american.

Ah ever heard of a man with a thick accent running the largest State budget in the country? What's his name?................You know the guy the Republicans want to change the constiutution for so he can run for President?.....................You know he's from Europe.................Oh yea

Arnold!

Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 2 Aug, 2004 02:22 pm
Ahnold is Ahnold. I have no interest in changing the constitution for him or anyone.

By the way, my bad for not researching Heinz Kerry, I didn't realize how she got her name.

On a side note, I have some friends who were in the tomato processing business, and they claimed they sold more catsup than Heinz. When they sold the business, the entire family became multi-millionaires and trust-fund kids. That's a lot of tomatoes.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Mon 2 Aug, 2004 02:23 pm
swolf wrote:
princesspupule wrote:

idiot...
0 Replies