Is affirmative action REALLY fair?

joefromchicago

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2005 09:07 am
El-Diablo wrote:
Why should it be, joe? Race doesn't determine how well you work and how qualified you are and what kind of asset you will be. What should it be considered? So people can fill quotas? Sounds useless and harmful to me.... They should be based on your qualifications not on your race.

What if the qualifications are equal? Suppose there are two applicants for a single position. Both applicants are qualified for the job. One is white, the other is a member of a minority. The employer has a rule: all other things being equal, qualified minority job applicants shall be preferred over qualified non-minority job applicants. Consequently, the minority applicant is given the job. Is that unfair to the white applicant, and, if so, why?
0 Replies

CarbonSystem

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2005 12:01 pm
What if the black applicant was rejected and the white was accepted, that would certainly be unfair to the black. The key point in that situation is that race is included. If you typed all of that out but omitted the part where you tell is thier race, then we would not be able to give you an answer. So why include race? Race does not affect the mental capacity of an individual.
It is an entirely different story if part of the job includes something to di with a person's race, or if it would be more profitable for the company to have a person of a certain race, because isn't that what it all coems down to? The profit?
0 Replies

Noah The African

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2005 12:09 pm
CarbonSystem wrote:
What if the black applicant was rejected and the white was accepted, that would certainly be unfair to the black. The key point in that situation is that race is included. If you typed all of that out but omitted the part where you tell is thier race, then we would not be able to give you an answer. So why include race? Race does not affect the mental capacity of an individual.
It is an entirely different story if part of the job includes something to di with a person's race, or if it would be more profitable for the company to have a person of a certain race, because isn't that what it all coems down to? The profit?

Thats a moot point because the observation of race, as a phenomenon, is THE REALITY. The point that Joe made would still not be acceptable for most whites. The reason being....a percieved loss of privelege...which makes many feel threatened....even though they have enjoyed nearly 4 centuries of the premium white society has placed upon those who are white.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2005 12:27 pm
CarbonSystem wrote:
What if the black applicant was rejected and the white was accepted, that would certainly be unfair to the black.

Why?

CarbonSystem wrote:
The key point in that situation is that race is included. If you typed all of that out but omitted the part where you tell is thier race, then we would not be able to give you an answer. So why include race?

Because the employer based its final decision upon race.

CarbonSystem wrote:
Race does not affect the mental capacity of an individual.

So what? In my hypothetical, the two job applicants are equally qualified. Presumably, then, their mental capacities are equally sufficient for the job. Which still leaves my initial question unanswered: "is that unfair to the white applicant, and, if so, why?"
0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2005 01:03 pm
My feelings about AA were kind of summed up by Chris Rock in his concert DVD "Never Scared"...
"I'm not saying that I should get the job if the white guy is better qualified, or that I should get in the school if the white guy has better grades. But if there's a tie? F*ck 'em - they had a 400 year head start!"
0 Replies

El-Diablo

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2005 02:41 pm
Quote:
What if the qualifications are equal? Suppose there are two applicants for a single position. Both applicants are qualified for the job. One is white, the other is a member of a minority. The employer has a rule: all other things being equal, qualified minority job applicants shall be preferred over qualified non-minority job applicants. Consequently, the minority applicant is given the job. Is that unfair to the white applicant, and, if so, why?

Interesting hypothetical. I want you to realize how unlikely this is, the chances that two applicants are equal in EVERY category (equal-caliber colleges, equal grades, equal experience in equal-caliber companies, equal recommendations, equal personalities, equal history) except race. This is a statistical improbability, almost always is one at least minutely more qualified for the part. We're talkng 0.002% chance. But we'll assume this happens.

Then yes maybe we consider race and let the minority in. Once again extremely unlikly they are equal in ALL categories but the last resort is race. It is the last for a statistically improbable tie. Not enough to make it an issue. So this does not support AA or support ideas which give companies extra incentives to hire which inevitably leads to race being not the last resort. But I would like to hammer in how unprobable this is and rare indeed. It hardly proves your point, if you are indeed implying that race should play a part.
0 Replies

CarbonSystem

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2005 03:11 pm
joefromchicago wrote:
In my hypothetical, the two job applicants are equally qualified. Presumably, then, their mental capacities are equally sufficient for the job. Which still leaves my initial question unanswered: "is that unfair to the white applicant, and, if so, why?"

No I would say it isn't fair. But in the same token it is not unfair. That would not be considered fair to anyone, but it is not unfair either. In your situation, there is no justification to choose one applicant over the other.

Unfair is much like if you're deserving of a certain thing and you don't recieve it. So obviously, this cannot be an unfair situation. It is a lot like getting cut from the high school basketball team.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2005 09:19 am
El-Diablo wrote:
Interesting hypothetical. I want you to realize how unlikely this is, the chances that two applicants are equal in EVERY category (equal-caliber colleges, equal grades, equal experience in equal-caliber companies, equal recommendations, equal personalities, equal history) except race. This is a statistical improbability, almost always is one at least minutely more qualified for the part. We're talkng 0.002% chance. But we'll assume this happens.

On the contrary, it happens all the time. Furthermore, we should not be surprised that it happens all the time. After all, most jobs require only a minimal skill set. Is there any reason, for instance, to prefer a college graduate over a high school grad for a position as an auto mechanic? And once those minimal, objective qualifications have been met, any decision to hire will be based upon some subjective factor(s). The question, then, is: why shouldn't race be one of those subjective factors?

El-Diablo wrote:
Then yes maybe we consider race and let the minority in. Once again extremely unlikly they are equal in ALL categories but the last resort is race. It is the last for a statistically improbable tie. Not enough to make it an issue. So this does not support AA or support ideas which give companies extra incentives to hire which inevitably leads to race being not the last resort. But I would like to hammer in how unprobable this is and rare indeed. It hardly proves your point, if you are indeed implying that race should play a part.

Congratulations. You now support affirmative action as it is currently practiced in the US.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2005 09:24 am
CarbonSystem wrote:
No I would say it isn't fair. But in the same token it is not unfair. That would not be considered fair to anyone, but it is not unfair either. In your situation, there is no justification to choose one applicant over the other.

Well, I'm not quite sure I understand this "not-fair-but-not-unfair" scenario. So, let me ask: would it be "fair" if, in my hypothetical, the employer decided to hire one of the applicants based solely on the result of a coin flip?

CarbonSystem wrote:
Unfair is much like if you're deserving of a certain thing and you don't recieve it. So obviously, this cannot be an unfair situation. It is a lot like getting cut from the high school basketball team.

If picking the minority candidate is not unfair to the white candidate, then on what basis do you object to affirmative action? It can't be on fairness grounds.
0 Replies

CarbonSystem

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2005 01:58 pm
joefromchicago wrote:
CarbonSystem wrote:

Well, I'm not quite sure I understand this "not-fair-but-not-unfair" scenario. So, let me ask: would it be "fair" if, in my hypothetical, the employer decided to hire one of the applicants based solely on the result of a coin flip?

I suppose it would be fair, a coin flip is 50% for both applicants.

The part I have against AA is that the color of skin is in essence a factor that could lose them the spot. When we know that skin color has no correlation with business productivity and whatnot.

Yes it is true that blacks were enslaved, and treated like nobody should be treated, it was horrible, but the time of slavery is over. Race should not even be considered in applying for certain postitions, unless you are in an occupation that is an exception to this, and the color of your skin is extremely important.
0 Replies

duce

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2005 02:00 pm
Was it supposed to be?
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2005 02:31 pm
What if the employer wanted (for whatever reason) to diversify a staff that was all female or all hispanic and/or african american, would he be ethically wrong to favor a male or a white candidate over a female or minority candidate?
0 Replies

duce

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2005 02:34 pm
You mean like "Hooters"?
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2005 03:45 pm
CarbonSystem wrote:

The part I have against AA is that the color of skin is in essence a factor that could lose them the spot. When we know that skin color has no correlation with business productivity and whatnot.

You wouldn't allow the employer to use race as a deciding factor because race has no correlation to business productivity, but you would allow it to flip a coin instead? What relation does flipping a coin have to do with business productivity?
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2005 03:54 pm
Joe, I repeat. If I ever need a lawyer, you would come first to mind.
0 Replies

CarbonSystem

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2005 04:10 pm
joefromchicago wrote:
CarbonSystem wrote:

You wouldn't allow the employer to use race as a deciding factor because race has no correlation to business productivity, but you would allow it to flip a coin instead? What relation does flipping a coin have to do with business productivity?

That is because race would actually be using someone's attribute as something AGAINST them, where a coin flip shows no bias.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2005 04:15 pm
JLNobody wrote:
Joe, I repeat. If I ever need a lawyer, you would come first to mind.

I'm not licensed to practice in your state, JLN, but if you ever get into trouble in Illinois, you can always give me a holler.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2005 04:20 pm
CarbonSystem wrote:
That is because race would actually be using someone's attribute as something AGAINST them, where a coin flip shows no bias.

Make up your mind, Carbon. First you say that race can't be considered because it has nothing to do with a person's business productivity, and now you say that race can't be considered because it's using someone's attributes against them. Rather than playing twenty questions with you, why don't you just explain why you think that the employer in my hypothetical should not use race as the tie-breaker.
0 Replies

CarbonSystem

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2005 06:44 pm
Okay I'll try and explain it for you. In your hypothetical, it may or not be fair to choose someone based on thier race. The way it may be fair is if the race to be chosen is picked out of a hat or something like that. The way it would be unfair is for the employer to choose the race based on something that an applicants ancestors did.

Let's say applicant A had a great grandfather who was known to be a corrupt police officer and he cost many people thier freedom. Now let's say that applicant B is the great grandchild of one of these people who lost thier freedom due to this corrupt cop. Aplicant A should not be held accountable for his great grandfather's faults, he should be treated as if he has no relation to them.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 18 Feb, 2005 09:20 am
CarbonSystem wrote:
Okay I'll try and explain it for you. In your hypothetical, it may or not be fair to choose someone based on thier race. The way it may be fair is if the race to be chosen is picked out of a hat or something like that. The way it would be unfair is for the employer to choose the race based on something that an applicants ancestors did.

I am completely baffled by this response. Why is an employer not permitted to stipulate that it prefers minorities, but it is permitted to prefer minorities on a random basis? That makes absolutely no sense.

Saying that an employer can choose which race to favor by picking names out of a hat is equivalent to having the employer pick applicants' names out of a hat or flipping a coin to decide which applicant to hire. Practically speaking, there's no difference. If choosing which race to favor on a random basis is permissible, then choosing which applicant to favor on a random basis should be equally permissible.

But then we are faced once again with the question: why is picking someone on a random basis more "fair" than picking someone based upon his or her race? And that's a question that you still haven't answered.

CarbonSystem wrote:
Let's say applicant A had a great grandfather who was known to be a corrupt police officer and he cost many people thier freedom. Now let's say that applicant B is the great grandchild of one of these people who lost thier freedom due to this corrupt cop. Aplicant A should not be held accountable for his great grandfather's faults, he should be treated as if he has no relation to them.

Save your "reparations" type arguments for Noah; I reject such justifications as a basis for affirmative action.
0 Replies