Hooters: A Step Forward or Backwards?

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2004 03:21 pm
Do you think that the girls working at Hooters restaurant's are pushing the women's movement forward or backwards? (Or is it just a place to eat food?)

Forward- Women can do what they want, when the want, whether it is at Hooters, in an office or on Wall Street. Women can now profit from what men have been obsessed with since the beginning of time!

Backward- Objectification is always a step back.

What do you think? Is is just a restaurant or does it stand for something more? Is being a Hooters Girl something to be proud of or something to hide? Are the outfits really that small or are people just being prudish?

What do you think?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,454 • Replies: 23
No top replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2004 03:25 pm
I always tell the girls, make sure to wash that in HOT water, and never line dry.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2004 03:30 pm
I vote "forwards", it gives a better "perspective."

Now in all seriousness, Hooters is what it is, it makes no claims to be anything else but a pseudo-family restaurant chain with large-breasted waitresses. Women who find it degrading to work at Hooters will never work there. Women who may find it liberating might. Better to work there than become a stripper, although stripping brings in better coin.

The other point is, although I've never actually been to a Hooters (we only have one in Toronto which is surrounded by proper pubs and sushi places), I hear they do decent burgers and wings, and what not. Ultimately, I think it's a place to eat, with a pretty innocuous thrill factor.

As for pushing the women's movement forward or backward, which feminist do you agree with?
0 Replies

limbodog

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2004 07:26 am
I vote neither: it's not a step at all.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2004 09:47 am
But it's a paycheck.
0 Replies

limbodog

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2004 09:59 am
So I'm told. I can't verify that personally.

A more valid question in my opinion, is "Is Hooters discriminating in hiring?"

I mean, they don't hire male waiters. (not that I'd want to see guys in those orange shorts)

Obviously, they don't because they're filling a niche, but does that justify the hiring practices?

Are the anti-discrimination practices myopic when dealing with such things? I mean you don't hire a male bathroom attendant for the women's bathroom at a snooty hotel etc...
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2004 11:09 am
http://www.hooters.com/company/about_hooters/

About the company and it's hiring policies along with various other bits of info.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2004 11:13 am
Excuse me darlin', could you get your tit out of my eye? I'm trying to read this menu . . .
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2004 11:14 am
Seriously, the wings are great....it's just another restaurant where the girls have skimpy tops...not all of them have big boobs or great onion asses.......but the wings are always great.....
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2004 01:19 pm
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
Seriously, the wings are great....it's just another restaurant where the girls have skimpy tops...not all of them have big boobs or great onion asses.......but the wings are always great.....

The tops aren't any smaller than what women wear out to a club on Friday night. In fact, the whole outfit isn't much smaller....hmmmm....
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2004 01:29 pm
Kristie wrote:
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:

The tops aren't any smaller than what women wear out to a club on Friday night. In fact, the whole outfit isn't much smaller....hmmmm....

yeah I know...I'm in the nightclub business...life is great isn't it?
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2004 01:33 pm
Well, personally..... :wink:
American's are infatuated with breasts. Men AND women. Men want them (to play with) and women want them (for men to play with). Everyone appreciates a nice rack. Very Happy
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2004 01:34 pm
The concept is trashy, but probably no more so than a lot other manifestations of contemporary American culture. Take Brittany Spears, please...

And we wonder why crazy Islamic fundamentalists want to destroy the U.S. No doubt it's envy...
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2004 01:38 pm
BpB, don't you just love girls night out?

http://www.mylivingtree.com/5100pic/907/CP4907.jpg
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2004 01:49 pm
Hey, how do you get images into you posts? Just copy and paste?
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2004 01:53 pm
D'artagnan wrote:
The concept is trashy, but probably no more so than a lot other manifestations of contemporary American culture. Take Brittany Spears, please...

Britney is nasty. Rolling Eyes What a joke. Singer my ass. She couldn't sing her way out of a paper bag.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2004 02:09 pm
cjhsa wrote:
BpB, don't you just love girls night out?

http://www.mylivingtree.com/5100pic/907/CP4907.jpg

It's kind of a trade off. If I hook up with the twenty year old version of one of these women, they'll be a little firmer and fresher, but inexperienced and easily frightened.

In this more seasoned version though, although the bodies aren't as fresh they're experienced and they AIN'T SCARED!!!!

I come up one one of these women with the melted chicken grease, the nipple clamps and the speculum and they know just what's coming next.... :wink: that's worth something to me..... Cool
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2004 02:10 pm
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:

I come up one one of these women with the melted chicken grease, the nipple clamps and the speculum and they know just what's coming next.... :wink: that's worth something to me..... Cool

yikes.... Shocked
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2004 02:12 pm
Cougar alert!! Yikes!
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2004 03:01 pm
I do not consider a step up or down for women as I consider women should decide for themselves. However, I sort of agree with D'artagnan in that it is trashy, but no less than what is seen elsewhere. My concern about such places like Hooters or anywhere or anything else that promotes a certain appearance, is the effect on young women. Many young women feel they need to have big boobs, a tight butt, and skinny waist and look perfect. As a result they have low self-esteem and try plastic surgery and anorexia all to look "perfect". Emphasize is on appearance and not intelligence, values and other more important attributes. Not to mention that various body types, hair color, facial features, etc. are attractive depending on another person's viewpoint.
0 Replies