Packing up and moving to a foreign country

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2004 11:42 am
When I was in my twenties, I used to say that if I still felt this way when I'm 40, I'm killing myself. Well, 40 is not so far off now, and I still feel like things are pretty much the same as they were then for me.

But instead of killing myself, lately I have been having this fantasy pipe dream that I'm going to just pack up in the next year or so and move to Italy. I'm in my mid-thirties, but I'm single, so I don't have any family responsibilities to hold me back. I think it would be a life-changing experience, which is what I think I want. Right now it's just a seed of an idea, but I wanted to hear others' views on this.

I have never heard of anyone who ever did something like this regretting it. But I also haven't heard of many people who did this on their own later in life. Mostly it's college kids who do this. Is this a crazy idea? Do you have any stories of your experience with something like this, or stories of people you know? What are the pros and cons of making a move like this?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 8,717 • Replies: 92
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2004 11:51 am
You'd need the language, or your efforts would be largely useless. You'd need an independence, at least initially, because you can't count on getting a job immediately (mostly because of the language thing, but also, in Europe, you're going to be up against the advantages locals have in job hunting, particularly, the prevelance of labor unions). I do wish you luck, and think it would be a profoundly important experience in terms of changing your view of life.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2004 11:55 am
Well, I've just begun to learn Italian, and I have a pretty good chunk of money saved, so I guess I have (or will have) both of those two things covered in the next year or so.

This crazy idea is sounding better and better the more I think about it.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2004 12:05 pm
I didn't move to a foreign country but I did pack up my things and move to another part of this country about eleven years ago. I was in my late 30's.
It was the smartest move of my life.

We've had this discussion, kicky. You know my opinion. I say you should do it. With a vengeance. You don't want to be an old man with regrets about not following your dreams.

What happened to you moving back to Florida?
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2004 12:12 pm
I'm still thinking about Florida, but since I started taking an Italian class, this new amazing idea has been taking over. Florida just doesn't have the same zing as Italy, but who knows. I want to live La dolce vita! Smile
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2004 12:18 pm
You're right. Florida is one thing but Italy is something else entirely. I was just curious about your change of plans.
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2004 12:29 pm
I think that you should go for it. I have moved around quite a lot in my life, but when I finally left the country that I was born in with no intention of moving back, it was liberating. Sure, there are a few odds against you; but thinking about odds rather than dreams never gave anyone an interesting life. Phone me when you get to Italy; I know that you'll reach there. I'd be thinking about visas now.

(Incidentally, is there a part of Italy that you have in mind to go to?)
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2004 01:30 pm
Well, since I've never been there before, I really have no idea where yet. I know that I like the conveniences of city life, but I also like being near water and beaches. Any suggestions?

I am starting to plan for a trip next year, and Rome and the Amalfi coast are places I absolutely want to check out. I don't know much about it though yet. Right now I'm thinking about passports, actually, since I don't even have one. Shocked

What country did you move from/to?
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2004 01:54 pm
I have done it twice - moved from India to Sri Lanka and then to England

But I was young then - and the moves were part of my job so I guess it was different
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2004 01:54 pm
kicky, consider moving to an upper 3rd-world country and basking in the exchange rate.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2004 02:16 pm
Craven, me being the ignorant American that I am, I can't even imagine what countries I would be interested in, or where to even begin researching countries like that. How did you do it?
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2004 02:24 pm
DO IT!!!

You're in a godawful rut, kicky. This sounds like just the thing!

I can't think of a single good reason for you not to go. And you WILL regret it if you don't.

At the age of 30, my sister realized she'd lived her whole life less than a mile from her parents in Oklahoma City, and had never even had to interview for a job. (She was hired by the company that gave her a college internship.) What's more, she had never married and had no kids. She went to visit an old boyfriend in Seattle, Washington and fell in love with the place. When she returned home, she quit her longstanding job, packed up everything, and moved there. She soon found a job, and within a couple of years met the love of her life. They've been married for about ten years now. She's been all over the place since then, changing careers, meeting people, traveling. Was chucking it all and moving the most irrational thing she ever did? Yes. Does she regret it? Hell, no!!!
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2004 02:41 pm
I left Ireland at age 27 and moved to the U.S. I had no family or friends here, in fact I knew nobody! I was lucky to win a green-card and literally packed my bags and left with a plane ticket and some savings. I got a job as an au pair for a year in upstate New York (and I dislike kids) where I learned how to drive on the wrong Laughing side of the road. Then I moved to Boston (alone still) and got myself settled here.

If I won the lottery, I would be probably want to first travel the world (or parts thereof) but if I was to move to another country again it would either be Australia or Italy. I visited Tuscany in 2001 and envisioned myself owning a vineyard and walking about with no shoes on, getting my feet dirty and drinking red wine in a rocky field accompanied by some local cheeses and bread dipped in olive oil.

If I were you - I would take a chance. What have you got to lose? Some time? Hate it? Can't adapt? Can't survive? Sure this could happen but the experience and novelty far outweighs the negative things and you will find a piece of yourself you never knew existed.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2004 03:37 pm
You guys are making me all tingly about this idea. Smile

But what are the practical things to consider before doing it? I guess a visit to Italy first would be a good idea, and checking into work visas and such.

To the people who have done it: If you could do it again, what preparations would you have made ahead of time, in hindsight? Are there things that a never-been-outside-the-states guy should know before a such a big risky move like this? Were there any avoidable mistakes that you made?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2004 03:43 pm
kickycan wrote:
Craven, me being the ignorant American that I am, I can't even imagine what countries I would be interested in, or where to even begin researching countries like that. How did you do it?

I recommend.... Brazil. ;-)

Seriously, it comes across as a "I've been there so I recommend it" but I've been lots of other places too, and recommend it.'

As to how I did it it usually went like this:

1) Throw away half your stuff. Two suitcases won't hold much so you really need to pare it down. I usually end up with just clothes (for e.g., I left hundreds of CDs my paintings and art etc in Brazil).

2) Get on an airplane. It's important that it has all the requisite wings.

3) Land, exit the airport and look for a place to live and a job, in that order.

Thing is, the #1 has been easier for me than it will be for you, as I used to do it frequently and thusly had less to part with.

Um, but put me down for: don't do it. Not just to play Devil's advocate but because life security outweighs freespiritedness once you have a few serious failures with the #3 part.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2004 03:56 pm
Hmm - teaching English tends to be available in many countries.

Friends of mine have done it in China, Japan Germany - lots of places.

Craven would know way more thn I do about the nuts and bolts of it - but they say you DO need to be up on grammar - but there are books which will help you a lot.

The least pleasant experiences have been reported from Japan, teaching wise - but hey - you want Italy!

Just worth considering.
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2004 04:14 pm
Things worked out pretty well for me and some of it was luck. I happened to see an ad in an Irish newspaper for an au pair and, desperate for a job, I applied. Turned out to be one of the luckiest things I did. This took care of a roof over my head and money, and created an automatic "family" for me. They led me by the hand until I acclimatized to the U.S. - explained how taxes work here, how to open a bank account, credit history, stuff like that. They even helped get me my new job in Boston - put a word in for me.

I would recommend, if you don't know anyone in Italy (if that is where you intend to go) to visit beforehand - which sounds like you are going to do. Make a point to meet, talk and make friends with people. Express an interest in living there and ask about what you would need to know to relocate there. They are key to you finding your way around, getting a bargain rental to stay in until you figure out what is inexpensive and what would rip you off. If you know of any other people who are living close-by (friends of friends, distant cousins, anything) call them. Have them put you up for a week so you can go wandering about. Even if you know someone in a nearby country - call or write to them so they know you are going to be in the area. They could be a back-up plan to visit if things do not work out. You could get a minor job to keep you going but I do think your italian needs to be good.

When I moved to Boston, the first thing I did was buy a train pass and a map and I travelled on each line and got off at each stop. I picked where I wanted to live by looking around on my own and then purchasing a handy book called "Settling in Boston". It gave me information such as details on neighborhoods, post offices, how to get around, public transportation, what a tenant should know / standard apartment lease information, AMPs, TV, Phone, cable company information, where to register a vehicle, how to take a drivers test, how to register to vote, and loads of good stuff like that. When you visit Italy, look in their local bookstores and ask for a handy "guide" like this. It could be choc-full of information. On the other hand, if you were interested in tourism, how about applying to a local hotel for a job? As an English speaker you would be handy for tourists and it would mean that the hotel would have to teach and show you where to go, how to get there, and fast.

This is a site I found online about an American family living in Italy
- not a bad idea to reach out to some expats for some specific information.

Read a couple of books like "Buying a Property" to get some local insight. Not a definitive guide to use but to give an idea of the local customs and questions they expect of you when you do eventually want to buy something.

This is another handy little site about Business in Italy and how to behave. There is a "Message Board" here where you can talk to like-minded people. Give it a shot.

Surf the net for more sites on moving, relocating and settling in to Italy like this one
and this one
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2004 05:20 pm
Kicky, I think Italy is experiencing high unemployment rates - my Italian housemate says she wants to find work here because there are more jobs here than there.

I often thought of leaving the country for a while or for good. But, after living across this country for 10 years, I realized how important my family is to me. So, I probably won't be going to live in other countries, but may still travel.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2004 06:05 pm
Heeven, I'm beginning to think you are the coolest person on A2K. Those were very helpful links. I have started my own little search, but hadn't seen those sites.

Craven, one, two, three, huh? I'm betting you put a little more into the planning stage then you're letting on. As for me, I would never have the lugnuts to just jump on a plane without assessing the situation ahead of time as much as possible.

littlek, thanks for that info. I won't be going for at least a year or so though, if I do, so hopefully jobs will be more plentiful once I am ready to do it...if I do it at all. It sure sounds like it would be an incredible experience.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2004 06:25 pm
i have a ton of highlights, but also warnings about the place. dreaming about it from afar is romantic, but you neeed a base and some structure if you're going to go over there to live. i lived in rome for a year and it was amazing, but it was a realistic amazing.
0 Replies