gollum

Reply Fri 16 Oct, 2015 01:39 pm
Is it acceptable to bring a small voice recorder with you at a doctor's appointment, so as not to forget anything that the doctor says? If yes, is it acceptable to keep is out of sight so that the doctor is not aware of it?

engineer

Reply Fri 16 Oct, 2015 01:55 pm
@gollum,
If you want to keep it hidden, you are not doing it so as to not forget anything the doctor says. Depending on the state, recording private conversations might or might not be legal. The doctor's office is not a public place.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Fri 16 Oct, 2015 02:55 pm
@gollum,
I did after my colonoscopy a few years ago when the doctor was trying to describe her findings and give me instructions while I was still very groggy. I grabbed my cell phone and asked if I could record what she said so I could replay it later to hear what she said. She was fine with it and I was glad I did because I did not remember some of the important things she said.
0 Replies

Pearlylustre

Reply Fri 16 Oct, 2015 03:40 pm
@gollum,
I don't think it's acceptable to keep it out of sight. If you're doing it for the reason you say then there is no reason not to ask the doctor if they mind - or just ask him/her to write down the important points. If you're doing it for some other reason such as trying to catch your doctor out because you don't trust him/her - or because you're infatuated with your doctor and want a recording of his/her voice to fuel your fantasies - then you should change doctors.
gollum

Reply Fri 16 Oct, 2015 07:47 pm
@Pearlylustre,
engineer, Butrflynet, and Pearlylustre-

Thank you. I am only doing it to record in order to enable me to take detailed notes on what he said.
ehBeth

Reply Fri 16 Oct, 2015 08:03 pm
@gollum,
In that case it will be useful for the doctor to know you're recording.

Put the recording device on the desk. The doc can direct responses there.
0 Replies

Cristel

Reply Tue 16 Feb, 2016 12:33 am
@gollum,
You can record it in your mobile.
0 Replies