Sea scallop patties?- Anybody a good cook?

Reply Sun 25 Jul, 2004 03:19 pm
1st of all, they don't look like scallops, but like ground patties, and were flash frozen. (Brand name is Sea Choice.) The "quick-n-easy" recipe suggests brushing them w/olive oil, salt & paprika and broiling or baking them. The other recipe on the package, "Nordic Scallops," suggests you toss them w/vodka, lemon zest, and dill, and microwave them... Do either of these recipes sound at all appealing to you? What would you do with them? I remember scallops as looking like shellfish, not ground up and shaped into patties. Do you think they are worth sauteeing in a little bit of wine, like you would a shellfish? Or should I chase bites of this tossing back a glass??? I'm always a little leery of preparing new foods, especially if the shape has been altered from its original prior to arrivingin my kitchen...
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,744 • Replies: 8
No top replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2004 03:53 am
Check the ingredient list and post it here. They sound dodgy to me. I always buy real scallops.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2004 03:55 am
Check specifically for any fish product that is not scallop, such as pollack or whitefish. These are cheap fish that are often used as extenders in things like frozen patties. Also ceck the list of additives/preservatives.
0 Replies

princesspupule

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2004 10:50 am
cavfancier wrote:
Check specifically for any fish product that is not scallop, such as pollack or whitefish. These are cheap fish that are often used as extenders in things like frozen patties. Also ceck the list of additives/preservatives.

Only sea scallops are listed as ingredients.

There is also a nutritional information section: each serving is 3 oz., 150 calories, 29 grams of protein, 2 grams carbohydrates, 1 gram of fat, 0 g. saturated fat, 60 mg. cholesterol, 275 mg. sodium

Somebody gave me the package, asking if I wanted salmon. Rolling Eyes Obviously they couldn't read, or scallops seemed the same as salmon to them(you never know w/some people over here... I live on an outer island in Hawaii...) I'm not sure if somebody in their family bought it, and picked up the wrong package, or what was going on there, but it's considered polite to give and to receive over here, so I took it, now I need to use it... It's a 2# package, practically party size! (I'm sure that's why they gave it to ME... as a haole in the islands, I am known for cooking funny food for parties... Rolling Eyes ) I may even have people over to help us eat 2 whole pounds of da buggahs, if you can help me come up with a good recipe for preparing them... Otherwise I guess they could become cat food... Confused
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2004 11:08 am
Well, at least it's all scallop. I might suggest a variation on the Nordic recipe. I would completely change the method for the recipe. Defrost the scallop patties, and pat them dry with some paper towels. Heat up some butter and olive oil in a pan, and sear the scallops until golden. Keep warm. Pour off excess oil, return the pan to the heat and deglaze with the vodka. Let it boil a bit to burn off the alcohol. Add a bit of lemon juice, and zest, if you want, and off the heat, thicken by whisking in butter, a tablespoon or so at a time. Stir in the dill. Serve right away with the scallops.
0 Replies

princesspupule

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2004 11:31 am
cavfancier wrote:
Well, at least it's all scallop. I might suggest a variation on the Nordic recipe. I would completely change the method for the recipe. Defrost the scallop patties, and pat them dry with some paper towels. Heat up some butter and olive oil in a pan, and sear the scallops until golden. Keep warm. Pour off excess oil, return the pan to the heat and deglaze with the vodka. Let it boil a bit to burn off the alcohol. Add a bit of lemon juice, and zest, if you want, and off the heat, thicken by whisking in butter, a tablespoon or so at a time. Stir in the dill. Serve right away with the scallops.

I have everything except I don't have vodka... but I do have white wine... would that work? Or even just water? 1# is out thawing, so I am committed to cooking them tonight...
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2004 11:35 am
White wine would do fine. Water will add nothing to the dish. An alternate idea would be to stir in a bit of tomato paste after the wine cooks out, and finish it with a bit of cream to make a nice rose sauce. Just boil down the cream a bit to thicken. Garnish with the dill, and some pink peppercorns if you have them.
0 Replies

princesspupule

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2004 10:35 pm
They turned out yummy! At least I thought so. :wink: Of course, I have finished half the bottle of wine allby myself... (it was one of those days...) Embarrassed
0 Replies

pueo

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2004 10:42 pm
oh yeah, using dill and pink peppercorns wont make her stand out at all........ Laughing

aloha princesspupule, i'm originally from maui.
0 Replies