War time public approval rankings

Reply Tue 14 Jan, 2003 06:33 pm
I know Bush Jr and Bush Sr. have enjoyed high public approval ratings during war but would like to know of any other statistics available.

E.g. what was Bush senior's approval rating before the war, what was jr's etc.

Please take it as far back as statistics permit.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,723 • Replies: 7
No top replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 16 Jan, 2003 02:57 pm
Craven, Here's some 'inside' information lost on many Americans of today. They think GW is doing a good job, but most Americans are too shallow to see through the smoke screen. They need to consider the information in the following link.

http://www.coastalpost.com/02/01/14.htm

c.i.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 21 Jan, 2003 10:50 am
Do you remember what the pre 9/11 approval rating was?

I'm trying to gauge the current rating in comparison to other war time surges.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Tue 21 Jan, 2003 11:05 am
Craven, perhaps this will help.

As it seems, the sense that the country is in danger -and the people, accordingly, should support their leader- is what triggers high approval ratings. Not the Presidential eagerness to wage war.

The question is how well based in reality is that sense. There are hard facts as WWII or the terrorist attacks of sept. 11. And there are other types of perceptions: as the ones generated in the Cold War and Vietnam.

Gallup Presidential Approval analysis
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 21 Jan, 2003 02:15 pm
Thanks for the link, it answered the questions I had and also answered the questions I was going to have.
sozobe

Reply Tue 21 Jan, 2003 02:26 pm
fbaezer, that's very much in keeping with my own progression. Right after 9-11, when we didn't know what was happening and whether it was just the opening volley, I was supportive of Bush because I felt it was necessary. This despite the fact that I thoroughly disliked him. As the immediate threat receded, and he became more belligerent (not arguing policy here, just charting my own thinking in terms of this question), I went back to my position of thorough dislike.

In other words, if I had been asked whether I was supportive of Bush in the months after 9-11, I would have said yes. Now, no.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 21 Jan, 2003 02:33 pm
Craven, Your other forum on GWBush and GBush's popularity ratings ranks the hell out of me! Most Americans still don't get it, and probably never will. c.i.
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2008 04:45 pm
@Craven de Kere,
August 24, 2008
John McCain and Barack Obama are exactly tied at 45% in the latest Gallup Poll Daily tracking update. There was no immediate boost to Obama’s support coincident with the announcement of Joe Biden as his running mate.

From the above link.
My question sir is this.
How many people will cross the street and cast their votes.
I am quite sure or cock sure that not more than 55 percent of eleigible votes.
This whole bollywood/ hollywood drama is entertaining and nothing else.
0 Replies