UC personal statement. Please help me check grammar and give me some advise.Thank you

Kaitong

Reply Tue 13 Oct, 2015 05:48 pm
Art already became a part of my life at an extremely young age. One of my earliest memories is that of my grandmother and me painting on the whiteboard,use the markerpen to creating new shapes, combining the different colors, and make them into works of art. Color, patterns, and a sense of style----art is what I love.

I love drawing for a number of reasons-----for the challenge, for the joy of expression,for the sense of creation that is mine, for the excitement I feel when I get obsessed with a drawing. These are a few of the reasons that come to mind.

When I first looked at the picture, it looked like there were only two colors green and blue. When I got closer tothe picture, I noticed there were many other colors used. I loved the way the colors were mixed into each other where you have to really look at the picture to see the colors. The other colors, other then green and blue, were pink, white, orange, red, and yellow. There were also different shades of green and blue.

Drawing has played a significant role in my life. It wasn't the final drawing or masterpiece that I loved, it
was the process of drawing. My art started when I was in 2nd grade , and since then I haven’t stopped. I always had my sketchbook with me and there. I started creating many different kind cartoon animals and people,adding color to my drawings and trying to make them look realistic,or
just use pencil sketching.When I look back in time and see my old drawings, I realize how much I have improved and
how fast it happened. Since that time, I knew drawing
would never leave me.

Throughout childhood, my mother would always see me drawing.She encouraged me to explore my talent and never stop. Shealso bought me a variety of art supplies in art classes to continue my interest in drawing and painting. If withoutmy mother's encouragement, I think I would have stopped drawing . At the same time,she truly showed me with hard work and responsibility, you can be anything you want to be.I still remember she once told me, "With anything you want to do in life, you must have an education,because
with an education you can get a career.

In my opinion, a picture can paint a thousand words. Such as a picture will be far more descriptive of something than words can ever be. I like draw because I want to talk to the world, and I want to see the world around us.I could feel important with a pencil in my hand all the time.

When I was done something,it was the greatest feeling of my life. During all the years of my life, drawing became my relaxation. Most certainly, It influences my lives today. When I reached high school in America, I learned many new things from my family and my teachers. What I learned was that With any career there is hard work ,they maybe make you distractions in life,but if you stay on task and focus on your goal,you can be whatever you want to be.I will try put my heart in everything I do,and I hope I can to follow my dream.Never give up.

jespah

Reply Tue 13 Oct, 2015 06:02 pm
@Kaitong,
I don't want to go into the specifics but I can tell that you need to really work on your punctuation. There is no four dash anything. Use an em dash; you can make one by hitting the alt-0150 on your keyboard (it won't show up here on Able2know, but it will work on Word and other word processing programs). You need to add a space after a period, and no space before a comma. When you open quotation marks, you've got to close them when the quotation is finished.

Look at your first sentence. The tense is off and it comes out awkwardly. Try instead -

Art has been a part of my life from an extremely young age.

The sentence I have written is standard English and it flows properly. What you want to get across is that art became (past tense) a part of your life when you were younger and it has been that way since then.

You write 'the picture'. Which picture? The reader has no idea. Is it an image you saw in a gallery or magazine? Something your grandmother painted for you?

When you are writing a list, use a conjunction just before the last list item. E. g. I like apples, peaches, and pumpkins. Or I went to Houston, Dallas, or Waco. I have bolded the conjunctions for you so you can see them.

Please don't say 'a picture can paint a thousand words'; it's horribly clichéd. Go with talking about how descriptive a picture is, but please don't use that phrase. It is trite and overused.

I realize you're not from the United States and you may not be a native speaker/writer. Your essay isn't bad, and I think you've got a compelling story. Let's make it so you tell it better, okay? Smile
Kaitong

Reply Wed 14 Oct, 2015 10:35 pm
@jespah,
Thank you so much!!I will fixing my essay.
0 Replies