Atookaia I :: A fantasy

Reply Tue 14 Jan, 2003 06:08 pm
In 1516 lawyer/philosopher Sir Thomas More first used the word Utopia. The word is likely a fusion of two Greek words 'ou' (not) and 'topos' (place).

Some say it's a pun on another greek word 'eutopia' (happy place).

I mention this because of the way More introduced this word. He created his own fantasy, publishing in latin a book "concerning the best state of commonwealth and the new island Utopia".

Hois ideas were a logical progression of Plato and Aristotle's discussions on an idea land but I have adapted my fantasy to a globalized age.

We now need a planet, an island would not be good enough.

More's fantasy involved many rules (Women could marry at 18, men at 22. Sex before marriage was punished by not being permitted to marry), mine doesn't. Mine is a fun fantasy in which the mechanisms for the creation of rules is of great import but the rules are allowed flexibility for evolution with time. My fantasy is more physical than legal and is intended for fun.

If a more intelectual discussion on More's ideas is wanted I can start a different topic for that. For this one is intended for fun.

Setting:

I have created a barren planet. I can shape it and position it and decide on its geography. To maintain order the future inhabitants of my planet must take this a step at a time.

The first step is to decide the size of the planet (remember gravity folks) and the distance from the sun.

I prefer a slightly larger planet than Earth and a slightly greater distance from the sun.

Let's play!

edit: title changed to Atookaia
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 6,811 • Replies: 117
No top replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 14 Jan, 2003 06:13 pm
A few suggested rules (open to discusion).

Don't get ahead of the rest. If we are still choosing a name you can't get our planet into a war.

If your view on a planet deviates too far from the consensus of the first planet's population you can spin off. You get a new planet and the Liliputians then have their counterparts (I forget their names, does it start with a B?) in the egg war.

I suspect we'll have Yahoos and the like eventually but the Utopia we are about to name is my fantasy.

Q: what do we name it?
0 Replies

Lash Goth

Reply Tue 14 Jan, 2003 06:18 pm
Peace.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Tue 14 Jan, 2003 06:20 pm
42 could be a name since we are creating a fantasy planet.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 14 Jan, 2003 06:22 pm
Peace?

of as..ah ha ha hello mods, me wasn't gonna say that.

But really Peace is oo lame! I want a fun fantasy!

Ubermund, somthing catchy (not that that was).

Sheesh, the name is gonna kill this fantasy isn't it? I'd never named mine (or maybe just stole More's line).
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 14 Jan, 2003 06:24 pm
Atookaia.

Very Happy
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 14 Jan, 2003 06:26 pm
Somehow I like that, plus it might kill the other bird (naming the constituency).
0 Replies

Lash Goth

Reply Tue 14 Jan, 2003 06:26 pm
Craven, I was pretty sure my contributions would be the most lame.

If you don't mind, I'll inject them once in a while, but I'm sure you'll have much more exciting submissions.

PS--This is going to be alot of fun. GREAT THREAD.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 14 Jan, 2003 06:29 pm
Lash,

Remember, you can always have a spin off planet. Sheesh I'd even create a spin off planet called the mongers to attack your peace plan..

Oh, I'm rushing ahead again. Drat!
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Tue 14 Jan, 2003 06:36 pm
CDK I like the sound of Atookaia. On a fantasy planet could we have sound effects? For example at the very hint of hostility the sound of babies cooing and gurgling and laughing would automatically play thus the need for argument or further hostility would be moot.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 14 Jan, 2003 06:38 pm
I am SOOOOOOOOOOO happy with Atookaia!!!!!

(For later - so I don't forget: I am happy with bigger - why further from the sun? If we are bigger, can we have a lighter mix of elements comprising us? I want lighter gravity - cos of some animals I want!)
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 14 Jan, 2003 06:39 pm
JD,

How would that be done? The fantasy only deviates from reality in that we get to mold a planet and transport wildlife and people to it.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 14 Jan, 2003 06:42 pm
Deb, Further because it'd be colder. Bigger because I'd like to maximize the warm areas for those who dislike cold.

If you want lighter gravity I get we can make the big planet less dense. Dunno.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 14 Jan, 2003 06:43 pm
(waaaah! I have to go to work! I just KNOW this planet is gonna have evolved a looooong way when I get back, and I won't have had a say! Waaaaaaaaaaaah! Oh well, suck it in.....)
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 14 Jan, 2003 06:44 pm
We CAN make it less dense - there are lots of elements to play with..... maybe it is hollow with a central civilization, living on the warmth from the warmer parts of the depths?
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Tue 14 Jan, 2003 06:55 pm
Ok then we have to remember good sounds - listen to the bliss within ourselves. How about no TV news only print journalism.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Tue 14 Jan, 2003 06:56 pm
Yes less gravity less sag that is a must.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Tue 14 Jan, 2003 07:00 pm
Atookia, yes.
How far from the sun and how cold would it be? Couldn't altitude take care of those yearning for cool weather?
Bigger is sometimes better as long as there will be fast, clean transportation.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 14 Jan, 2003 10:16 pm
Hmm, altitude is a nice idea. Toying with distances from the sun can be tricky. A slight alteration would be catastrophic.

For transportation we'd have one of the only deviations from current reality: teleporting.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Tue 14 Jan, 2003 10:41 pm
Soul travel perhaps we need not take our bodies everywhere we go. We would have opitions on where to travel, how to travel, and when to travel.

Our work would not be work because it would be what we truly love to do so we would never be tried or weary. Sleep would be gentle and restful.
0 Replies