Bottom Line On The Bush Economy: Bad News

Reply Sat 24 Jul, 2004 05:01 pm
For Working People And For Women.

Workers' Incomes Going Backward. News reports this week confirmed what American families know: as a result of George Bush's economic policies, household budgets are being squeezed by rising prices for essentials like health care and gasoline prices -- while wages are not keeping up.
The Wall Street Journal reports "declines in working houses, low wages, hurt workers."
D'uh.
Hourly earnings of non-management workers including nurses and teachers, went down for the second month in a row this June. The Chief Economist for Morgan Stanley says "...fully 81 % of total job growth over the past year was concentrated in low-end occupations...This puts households under enormous pressures."

The New York Times writes that that the average take-home pay for workers, adjusted for inflation, is actually less than it was in January, 2004. In fact, it is "the lowest level of weekly pay since October 1991" -- when that other Bush was President!!Next time George W. Bush tells us the economy is "good news" -- remember the millions of hard working Americans who are getting bad news every week in their pay checks.

Republican Quotes Of The Week.

"Despite these overwhelming problems facing our nation's manufacturers, I must say I have yet to see any significant action on the behalf of the administration to respond..."
- Sen. George Voinovich, (R-IA) 7-15-04

"President George Bush should have been more skeptical about economists' predictions regarding jobs created by tax cuts totaling $1.7 trillion over 10 years, a Senate ally said. 'His economists screwed up'. Bush was not right in not questioning his economists."
-Senator Charles Grassley [Bloomberg, 4/15/04]
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 641 • Replies: 7
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 24 Jul, 2004 05:04 pm
Ain't telling me anything new. I see it all around me (I don't live in Riveroaks).
0 Replies

the reincarnation of suzy

Reply Sat 24 Jul, 2004 05:14 pm
I do too, but you can't tell anyone here that! Some don't believe anything unless it comes with a link!
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Sat 24 Jul, 2004 07:01 pm
http://www.forbes.com/feeds/ap/2004/07/07/ap1445134.html
0 Replies

Reply Sat 24 Jul, 2004 07:13 pm
Oh, goody! Forbes is predicting a banner year AHEAD. Won't that be nice! When it happens.
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Sat 24 Jul, 2004 08:10 pm
Article in above link written by Martin Crutsinger, AP Economics Writer
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sun 25 Jul, 2004 06:45 am
With apologies to fellow liberals, I think liberals are reading the economy wrong for political gain.

It seems that without question the economy is improving quite well. Most economists who are even trying to be impartial will say this. The numbers on job creation and manafacturing and growth back this up.

I get a bit bothered by all of this spin-- the incumbant party always wanting the economy to appear to be doing well, while the other part wants it to appear to be horrible.

I don't think this political manipulation helps the public or the political process.

Please just tell me the truth and run on issues. The Dems are right about the deficit and the war and many other things.

It is sad they feel they need to spend so much time to explain away positive economic numbers.
0 Replies

Reply Sun 25 Jul, 2004 09:51 am
ebrown_p wrote:
With apologies to fellow liberals, I think liberals are reading the economy wrong for political gain.

I understand what you're saying, brown, and I'd feel the same except that I don't see it as a made-up issue. Like Edgar, I see it for myself. How do you not? The economy is a shadow of it's former self. If it comes back, all the good, (and of course, eventually it will, no matter who is president) but I haven't seen that myself. For just one example, my health insurance is going up another 11%, yet I am certainly not getting an 11% raise to cover it. I don't know a lot about economics, but I live them, and I have not yet seen any grand improvement. When I do, they can say what they like. The article I posted says, yeah, there are more jobs. As long as you don't need a decent paycheck!
0 Replies