It's Magic

au1929

Reply Sat 24 Jul, 2004 07:21 am
This administration is far better at magic than Houdini. Houdini who thought he would contact his wife from the beyond, never could. This administration on the other hand can make records which were burned up last week reappear. There is yet hope that they will make WMD's magically reappear in Iraq. Laughing Laughing

Bush's missing military records found

Dems call timing 'highly questionable'

Friday, July 23, 2004 Posted: 8:43 PM EDT (0043 GMT)

WASHINGTON (Reuters) -- Some of President Bush's missing Air National Guard records during the Vietnam War years, previously said to be destroyed, turned up on Friday but offered no new evidence to dispel charges by Democrats that he was absent without leave.

His whereabouts during his service as a pilot in the Texas Air National Guard in the United States during the Vietnam War have become an election-year issue. Bush's Democratic presidential challenger, John Kerry, is a decorated Vietnam War veteran.

The Pentagon, which had announced two weeks ago that the payroll records had been accidentally destroyed, blamed a clerical error for previous failure to find them.

In May 1972, Bush moved to Alabama to work on a political campaign and, he has said, to perform his Guard service there for a year. But other Guard officers have said they have no recollection of ever seeing him there.

The documents released on Friday by the Pentagon included two faded computerized payroll sheets showing Bush was not paid during the latter part of 1972 and offer no evidence to place Bush in Alabama during the latter part of 1972.

Still, White House spokesman Trent Duffy said, "They show the president served in the military and completed his service, which is why he received an honorable discharge."

Bush was the son of a U.S. congressman at a time when National Guard service was seen as a way for the privileged to avoid being drafted for Vietnam War duty.

Questions over his record resurfaced this year as Bush sought, in the midst of the Iraq war, to cast himself as a "war president" in his drive to win re-election on November 2.

"Unanswered questions"

The Democratic National Committee called the "supposed discovery" of Bush's payroll records late on Friday -- on the eve of the Democratic National Convention -- "highly questionable."

"If the Bush administration continues to search, maybe they'll find answers to the long list of unanswered questions that remain about George W. Bush's time in the Air National Guard. Bush's military records seem to show up as randomly as he did for duty," said DNC spokesman Jano Cabrera.

In February, the White House released hundreds of pages of Bush's military records. The White House included a footnote to those earlier records saying that files for the 3rd quarter of 1972 had apparently been lost in microfilm processing.

Defense Finance and Accounting Service spokesman Bryan Hubbard said the microfilm payroll records were found in a Denver facility.

"We're talking about a manual process for records that are over 30 years old," Hubbard said.

He said officials had previously looked in the wrong place for the records relating to the first quarter of 1969 and the third quarter of 1972, and concluded incorrectly that they had been destroyed.

Hubbard said that after the Pentagon announced two weeks ago that the records were lost, officials went back to double check, and found an "unlabeled binder" that led them to the right place.

The Pentagon had announced on July 9 that microfilm payroll records of large numbers of service members, including Bush, were ruined in 1996 and 1997 in a project to save large, brittle rolls of microfilm.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 462 • Replies: 6
No top replies

PDiddie

Reply Sat 24 Jul, 2004 07:27 am
Quote:
"Bush's military records seem to show up as randomly as he did for duty," said DNC spokesman Jano Cabrera.

Laughing
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Sat 24 Jul, 2004 08:40 am
Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

the reincarnation of suzy

Reply Sat 24 Jul, 2004 08:46 am
How convenient
0 Replies

JustanObserver

Reply Sat 24 Jul, 2004 09:21 am
I don't get it. How is this good for the Republicans? It still doesn't demonstrate that he was present during that missing time.

Why don't they just pull out his attendance records? Didn't they keep track of attendance ?
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Sat 24 Jul, 2004 09:32 am
Well, I suppose they don't shed any new light as long as we all agree that he was AWOL for three or more months, technically desertion, and these records confirm it.

And, while we're back on this story, what was the reason we didn't get to the bottom of this 4 years ago?

Oh, and one more thing:

Prezdint BringItOn, in his autobiography [i]A Charge to Keep[/i], wrote:
I continued flying with my unit for the next several years [after completing training in June 1970]

That, we've known for years, is bullshit, as he stopped flying 22 months later of his own choosing. Do you think there are any Guardsmen that would choose to opt out of completing their service today?

And tell me again why the liberal media doesn't care that Bush lies about his military service?
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sat 24 Jul, 2004 09:36 am
The republicans would be better off IMO if they just let the matter drop. If they did the American people with their notoriously short term memories would forget all about it. In any event I am sure that most people have already made up their minds regarding Bush's military service. By bringing it up with this "now you see now you don't "it tends to keep the issue alive and fresh in peoples minds. It also makes people who are on the fence wonder if there is something to the AWOL charge. Personally I believe the drunken bum was AWOL.
0 Replies