Are all atheists just unspiritual self-absorbed robots?

Leadfoot

Fri 9 Oct, 2015 06:49 am
@FBM,
Quote:
How I interpreted it doesn't matter. I didn't make the claim that everyone else interpreted it the same way I did. You made that claim, now you can't back it up.
I think this is another example of where you either can't or won't acknowledge the meaning of commonly used phrases/expressions used as shorthand for various concepts.

The phrases "we all know ..." or "everyone knows ..." is shorthand for "you already know the following thing to be true and if you deny it you are kidding yourself". It IS a challenge to the reader(s) to which it is addressed and either you can't stand to be challenged or you are just nit picking the expression in an effort to 'win' an argument. To interpret the expression litterally as 'everyone on earth agrees with me' is absurd so I'm guessing it is the latter.
izzythepush

Fri 9 Oct, 2015 07:37 am
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:

The phrases "we all know ..." or "everyone knows ..." is shorthand for "you already know the following thing to be true and if you deny it you are kidding yourself".

No it's not, it's a lazy way of assuming supposed authority, without doing the necessary research, and FBM called you out on it.

Don't assume everyone uses the same 'shorthand' you do. You only end up with egg on your face.
Amoh5

Fri 9 Oct, 2015 07:50 am
@Leadfoot,
I don't think Tim used the word "meaningless" in a serious context where he wanted to make his audience feel worthless. He was projecting it in a humorous way because sometimes people do fall into the trap of being too serious and over contemplative on their self analysis and expectations. In other words he meant have a good laugh and come back down to earth, don't think too far ahead yourself or too high of yourself. Or you could miss something important thats right under your nose. Being too serious can make you blind to the small blessings that may be taken for granted.
FBM

Fri 9 Oct, 2015 08:18 am
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:

Quote:
How I interpreted it doesn't matter. I didn't make the claim that everyone else interpreted it the same way I did. You made that claim, now you can't back it up.
I think this is another example of where you either can't or won't acknowledge the meaning of commonly used phrases/expressions used as shorthand for various concepts.

The phrases "we all know ..." or "everyone knows ..." is shorthand for "you already know the following thing to be true and if you deny it you are kidding yourself". It IS a challenge to the reader(s) to which it is addressed and either you can't stand to be challenged or you are just nit picking the expression in an effort to 'win' an argument. To interpret the expression litterally as 'everyone on earth agrees with me' is absurd so I'm guessing it is the latter.

If I were incapable of acknowledging the meaning of commonly used words, we wouldn't even be having a meaningful dialog. I refuse to go for your red herring. You made a claim that you are unable to support. You projected your own interpretaion of a spoken passage onto everyone else. Your claim has been refuted by me and at least one other. How about just presenting your own interpretations as your own instead of presumptuously projecting them on everyone else?
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Fri 9 Oct, 2015 08:20 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:
Leadfoot wrote:
"The phrases "we all know ..." or "everyone knows ..." is shorthand for "you already know the following thing to be true and if you deny it you are kidding yourself".

No it's not, it's a lazy way of assuming supposed authority, without doing the necessary research, and FBM called you out on it.

Don't assume everyone uses the same 'shorthand' you do. You only end up with egg on your face.

Again, does too - does not back & forth is a waste of time. If anyone wants proof of the common use and meaning of that phrase, just Google "we all know".
Leadfoot

Fri 9 Oct, 2015 08:33 am
@Amoh5,
Quote:
I don't think Tim used the word "meaningless" in a serious context where he wanted to make his audience feel worthless.
I think it's obvious that he was serious as a heart attack. But no, it wasn't to make the audience feel worthless, just the opposite. He was winkingly including them (atheism seems to be common in academia) in the club of those wise folks who know better than to believe in the myth of 'life having a meaning'.
izzythepush

Fri 9 Oct, 2015 08:41 am
@Leadfoot,
What difference does that make? Lots of idiots on the internet and all their results show up on google. If you want to avoid the truth go ahead, but you're not fooling anyone.

No back and forth, you're wrong.
Leadfoot

Fri 9 Oct, 2015 08:57 am
@izzythepush,
Am not...
0 Replies

Setanta

Fri 9 Oct, 2015 12:24 pm
@Leadfoot,
No he didn't. That's how you proceed, isn't it. If you have no argument, you just make sh*t up.
0 Replies

BillRM

Fri 9 Oct, 2015 04:32 pm
@Leadfoot,
Quote:
He was winkingly including them (atheism seems to be common in academia) in the club of those wise folks who know better than to believe in the myth of 'life having a meaning'.

Strange idea that you need to believe in some fantasy god for life to have meaning and in regard to the Christian god an SOB god that is evil as far as human morals are concern at that.
0 Replies

Amoh5

Fri 9 Oct, 2015 07:54 pm
Some people just don't have a sense of humor or take humor too literally. Heres another atheist joke: If you say too many deep and meaningful things, you must be having a nervous breakdown. This quote merely implies that one is getting too serious and emotional, lighten up as they say. As a Christian I don't cherish these humorous sentiments but I do understand where they may apply.
0 Replies

Amoh5

Sun 22 Nov, 2015 11:50 pm
I do understand the atheist's disbelief that a lot of Christians can actually take the bible's Genesis so literally. As a Christian I too look at them with disbelief that this reality is abscent in their judgement . I only prefer to read the words of Lord Jesus. I do think it is highly illogical to precieve the bible as a study of physics, but rather it is a study of moral and spiritual matters which in my case is the words of Lord Jesus. The tangible universe, the genesis of life or the study of evolution is a physical matter which I'd rather leave up to scientists of this field, with their clarified proof of course. There should never be any contradictions between spirituality and physics. However, we are spiritual beings with feelings and emotions that need to be guided by family ideals, whether it be our parents, caregivers or our ancestors. The science of physics cannot teach us the value towards human life.
0 Replies